• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • changelac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Feb 6, 2011
    Might as well chime in here. I have both the Bersa 9 UC and the Ruger sr9c. Both fit in that price range and both are verry good guns. Either one would serve you well.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    CZ-75 or a clone like EAA, It's a little bit bigger than the other guns you mention, but plenty accurate & fits the hand like a glove:yesway:

I'd second the CZ-75/EAA clone (WitnesS), but IMO, a little hard to conceal, and the compacts are hard to find in that price range.

SR9, SR9c definitely, or a Sig P6 if you want a steel frame and don't mind giving up some capacity (single stack)

US Patriot mentioned Stoeger Cougar, I've eyeballed one of those for a long time now as a carry gun, and will eventually get one myself, and after all the research I've done on them, haven't heard much at all bad about them.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I would suggest putting a few in your hands and see what feels right. Alot of good ones mentioned so far. I tried a few and the Ruger SR9c fit me like a glove. Never looked back. Never a failure either!!

indytoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unoriginal Thought #42-h-5

Okay, so, I carry a GLOCK 17 for about half the time, and a KelTec p3AT for the other half. I'd rather a full-size, but summertime shorts and downtown business suits sometimes restrict... so we do what we can.

Were I to only own one piece, it'd be either the KelTec P9 (just cuz I like the company -- I don't own one), or, OF COURSE, the GLOCK 19, which should be easily had for $400.

Oh, you also received a fine piece of advice: hit a rent/range and try a bunch of these before you buy -- my accuracy increased dramatically between the 19 and the full size 17, and I went with accuracy. But let me add, if you're really purchasing a home-defense weapon as well, I'd budget $100 into that for tritium sights. Seeing where your weapon is aimed FOR SURE really improves your state of mind, when things go "Bump!" in the night. (BTDT.) :twocents:

TMc

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    My buddy just bought the sr9c, said he really likes it. I owned a Glock 23, and carried it for a long time. I am planning on a Glock 19 or SR9c for my next one. You might also look at Ruger's new LC9, if you want something smaller. Good luck man

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I carry a PF9 and it's got a little snap but they are nice firearms and should be less than $300, around $200 used. I'd recommend something a little thicker like the G19/G26. Check out the Ruger LCP & new LC9.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Wow! So many choices, and a lot of good advice.
    I'll throw in my $.02 - and that might be all it's worth.. lol.
    As others have said, make sure you handle as many as possible to get the idea of what feels riight to you, and once you do get one, paractice until you are very comfortable with the operation before you carry it. And I'd try to narrow down the field by limiting my options according to the features I wanted: Striker versus hammer fired? DOA vs. SA/DA? Manual safety or not?
    For a carry pistol, I'd go with a compact version and not full size. If this were my only gun, and near the $400 range, my preferences in order would be:
    New = Ruger SR9C, Taurus PT111 Pro, S&W SD9, Bersa 9.
    Used = Springfield XD9c, Glock 19, S&W MP9c.
    There are a lot of other choices, but those are what I found fit MY hand and fall in Your budget, and I tend to like those with manual safeties too (if available.)
    Good luck!
    ---
    GB!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    FNPs are a good gun in the $400(NIB) and under category. 3x16rd mags and as noted earlier made in USA.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    FNPs are a good gun in the $400(NIB) and under category. 3x16rd mags and as noted earlier made in USA.

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    Bud's is blowing out the Kahr CW9 for $366, which included shipping. One of the best 9s out there, and nobody is gonna touch that quality for that price.

I have to agree with the CW9 by Kahr. A great weapon, light, easy to conceal, shoots very well, and the price is right! Consider it...

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'm all for the used XD, I love them, however, if your Military (Active, reserve, or retired) you don't have to get a used Glock, you can get a new one for $400! ($396.00 if I remember correctly) - If you go the Glock route, the guys have hit the nail on the head, 19 is a great starter.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Glock 19. Wonderful firearm. I was in a similar position and strongly considered the SR9C and SR9, the main reason of getting the glock is the reputation (and if I didn't like it I could resell it for almost no loss).

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I've got an XD service and a Beretta PX4 that I like. I paid $375 for one and $400 for the other.

I think if you find a clean one, and maybe replace some springs, the Sig P6 is a lot of gun for around $300-$350.

bar68

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Auburn
    A friend and I each picked up a Sig P6 (German Police versions of P225) at Midwest up in Elkhart for $350. They are police trade-ins and have wear on them but for that money they are excellent. I have a P229 also and this shoots just as nice, although lacking the extra rounds, and was about $500 cheaper.

mrclean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I love my glock 19 also. Got a ruger lc9 coming for something alittle smaller. Wanted to stay with the 9mm round because its cheaper and just have to buy one cal of ammo. 19 is a nice size and shoots every time you pull the trigger. Thats important!

Top Bottom