• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    I'm looking for a new commander size 1911. I'm also wondering what the best holster is for this size gun. I'm a leather guy at heart, but I guess I'm not opposed to trying plastic. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    "Best" is a really tricky word. You might start by telling us how you intend to carry, to narrow the suggestions a little.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    IWB would have to be a milt sparks summer special 2, or a competent clone.

I made one, and it is super comfortable. Well, actually I have made 3 now. Government, commander, and glock.

It really is hard to beat.

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    Sorry for lack of detail.

I'm a smaller build (Taller and thin). I'd like to carry iwb (currently carry in s.o.b.) and I'd also like to have an owb rig as well. Thanks for your help!

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Milt Sparks Versa Max II

6814731215_91e1b44108.jpg

lightbox

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sorry for lack of detail.

I'm a smaller build (Taller and thin). I'd like to carry iwb (currently carry in s.o.b.) and I'd also like to have an owb rig as well. Thanks for your help!

I've got a drawer full of holsters that go unused. Been carrying since the early/mid 1980's so I've pretty much tried them all. For the IWB type holsters there is really one that I find to be more comfortable and more stable than any other and that is the CrossBreed Super Tuck. I've got other similar holsters of other brands. Even picked up a new Galco King Tuck to compare, and have been carrying that exclusively lately. The CrossBreed is better.

Here is a link to a review I did, you may or may not like this holster, but I stand by it as the most comfortable, most stable, easiest to wear for 12+ hours with a full weight gun (2-to-3#) available => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...galco_king_tuck_vs_crossbreed_super_tuck.html

For an OWB holster I have a bunch of those, from paddles to slides. I prefer the Don Hume JIT slide type holsters and similar models from other companies. Simple and stable. But not particularly secure so perhaps not a great OC holster.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The best IWB holster IMO is the Milt Sparks. I bought a VM2 recently, but misread the ad and got a commander rather than full size:noway:. Going to sell it and immediately put the funds towards a full sized one.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Take a look at the Safariland 518 series, it is an all-leather, fully-fitted paddle holster with 'FBI' forward cant. For the M1911 (full-sized, right-handed) the model number is 518-53. They are available for review and purchase at holsters.com (cheaper elsewhere, tho). I have a 518 for my 1911, my 92FS, and for a Sig Sauer P22X (Full-sized). I think they are great holsters, hold up well, and as well-built as anything short of a Mich Rosen. (17+ years, and going strong on the P220 Holster).

(Current prices run less than $90 shipped)

I can't speak highly enough of these holsters...

Safariland 518 concealment holster

-Paul

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry my Chip McCormik Commander in a Crossbreed which works great for me. I have the Galco Royal Guard also, but I don't use it much anymore.

Vv

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've tried Crossbreed and they are nice, but I abandoned it for a VM2. I love the loops vs the clips which can bend and don't really fit my thick Beltman belt as well.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    As has been said it is hard to beat the Milt Sparks VMII for IWB. For OWB carry I like the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder STX, it is a Kydex body with leather lining that is super thin and easy to CC here is a link to it Most Concealable OWB Holster | Silent Thunder STX Kydex and Leather | Garrett Holsters. For OWB carry that you want to show off, Tucker Gunleather HF1 is an awesome holster which can be a little expensive depending on the options you choose but is well worth it, here is a link to it The HF1 Belt Holster.

I own all three of these holsters and have been very happy with them.

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    Thanks guys! I'm going to get out this weekend and find a 4". I called quite a few places last weekend, but no one had any. Guess I'll keep looking...

Top Bottom