• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Maybe instead of this being a pure review, it should be called a 'showdown' between these two holsters.

I've been using a CrossBreed for several years while carrying several different 1911 pistols of various different sizes.

Last year I purchased a couple 1911 pistols with the lower accessory rails and none of my various holsters will accept a 1911 with an accessory rail. So while shopping at Cabelas to pick up some 45acp I walked down the holster aisle and found a Galco King Tuck for 1911 w/rail.

• The Galco is 2 layers of leather that are glued or bonded together while the CrossBreed is 1 layer of leather.
    • The leather on the skin side of the holster is smooth, almost with a polished finish. The skin side of the CrossBreed is a natural finish that is not rough, but nor is it smooth.
    • The Kydex holster on the Galco is a 'universal' fit type, they used exactly the same Kydex part for their 1911 5" holster, their 1911 3-to-4" holster and their "railed" and "non-railed" holsters. The leather was longer on the 5" holster than on the 3-4" holster. The Kydex on the CrossBreed is individually moulded to the gun model ~~ or it was when I bought mine several years ago.
    • The metal belt clips on the Galco hold securely and snap over your belt. The CrossBreed offers several different types of loops and clips.
    • The 'front' side metal belt clip on the Galco is very close to the Kydex holster and causes your belt to pull hard on the attachment points. The clips don't flex as well as they do on the CrossBreed because there are 2 attachment points for each of the Galco belt clips. I think over time this will lead to leather wear. The 'front size belt clip on the CrossBreed is spaced ever so slightly farther away from the Kydex holster and allows for less stress on the individual attachment point.
    • Both the CrossBreed and the Galco allow you to adjust the depth at which the gun rides by adjusting the position of the belt clips.
    • The CrossBreed attaches each clip with 1 screw point while the Galco attaches with 2 screw points. 1 screw is preferable because it allow you to angle and offset the belt clips, effectively letting you cant the CrossBreed while the cant on the Galco is not effectively adjustable.

Overall I'd say that the Galco 'looks' like a better holster than the CrossBreed, but realistically I think the CrossBreed is actually the better carry holster.

The Galco appears more finely finished, the leather appears to be nicer, the mold/shape of the Kydex looks nicer. But the Kydex on the Galco is a little thinner so I hope it doesn't crack over time. Also the spacing of the belt clips on the Galco leads to the above mentioned stress.

My carry experience with the Galco is pretty minimal, while I have several years of using the CrossBreed, that said the CrossBreed seems to carry more comfortably than the Galco. That could be because of the clip position? That could be because the leather is more flexible/less stiff? That could be because the CrossBreed has a larger leather bearing surface?

Both are fine holsters, I prefer the CrossBreed. The CrossBreed is about $69, the Galco about $63. The extra $6 for the CrossBreed is worth the money. JMO

SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe
    400_st-fsb_1.png

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=4107&CatalogID=7
    King-Tuk-with-Glock-silo.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Im have carried a 1911 in a King Tuck for a little over a year. It is a fine holster, but as you have pointed out, it has its flaws. The only similar holster I have experience with was a Desantis, and it was for a Glock 26. The biggest drawback I have found with the Galco is the clips. The steel clips do seem more durable than the Kydex the Desantis uses, but the steel is only a clip, where the Desantis actually hooked completely around the belt. If easy removal of the holster is a priority, the Galco is an advantage, is positive holster positioning is the larger concern, the Desantis had the advantage. I have not seen the Crossbreed in person, but the options with various clip designs might make it a better choice than either of the two I have used.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The biggest drawback I have found with the Galco is the clips.
    I believe that when wearing a dress shirt the CrossBreed is more "tuck-able" than the Galco; it appears that the CrossBreed's clips are deeper/longer and that allows for a more easier shirt tuck. Some of that may be due to the fact that the Galco uses 2 screws to hold the clips on and the upper screw prevents the holster from being as flexible as the CrossBreed, and prevents it from being as tuck-able too.

I know that there are multiple belt clip options with the CrossBreed. Its my understanding that Galco also sells other clips for their King Tuck. You may be able to order extra clips for your Galco that are more suitable for your carry preferences.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Very good comparison/review.

I have the King Tuk, and have been very happy with it. I carry a Glock 27 or Glock 23 in mine.

My brother in FL has a Crossbreed, but I have not actually tried it out.

Some additional things regarding the Galco is they can easily be found in a local store, in case someone wants to see it in person/try it out, they can be found for a good amount below MSRP, and they already have the "combat cut" that is an additional option on the SuperTuk.

Both are fine hybrid holsters.

I'll likely pick up a second King Tuk as a backup.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I guess I never thought to look for different clips for the holster. After a quick search, it seems Galco offers a clip for their King tuck that is similar, but backwards to the ones that come standard on the DeSantis holster.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I guess I should also point out to anyone who is reading this review thread something that is obvious to me but perhaps not to folks who've not tried this style of holster. . . these holsters are about 100-TIMES MORE COMFORTABLE than an traditional I.W.B. holster.

Yes, they look big, well in fact they do have a lot of leather area against your body-side, and that is what smooths out the sharp edges and makes them so comfortable.

Yes, they have 2 w-i-d-e spaced belt clips, and that is what makes them so stable on your belt. The gun/holster combo will literally NOT SHIFT during hours of wear each day.

Yes, they are far more comfortable than anything make of Kydex that you shove down your belt line. Try it!

Yes, they will hold your gun when you use a public rest room, no need to hold/fiddle with your gun to keep it from falling out.

Yes, you can drive with one of these in place, but trying to draw while wearing a seat belt would be cumbersome.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Good information thanks! I've been eyeing this type of holster for awhile now. :yesway:

A couple things to mention after 2 more days of the Galco King Tuck on my hip.

This Galco holster will work with a Para USA double-stack 1911 or with a Detonics MTX double-stack 1911 with extended magazine release. My CrossBreed does not work with my double-stack 1911 pistols. The difference between the 2 holsters is that the Galco has a "combat cut" but the CrossBreed that I own does not have the "combat cut" feature . . . you can order the CrossBreed with a "combat cut" if you choose to have it, but you must specify it.

I'm wearing the Galco again today, this time with a gun that is a traditional Detonics 1911, its more comfortable with a traditional 1911 than with a double stack w/extended magazine release.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    the King Tuk only gets more comfortable as it further molds to you and your gun.

And the same can be said about all the various brands of holsters of this style. Once the leather softens up a bit it molds to your body better.

Wearing the Galco with the double stack guns I found that the magazine release pinched my side because that is in contact with your body JUST ABOVE the top of the leather so it can pinch your body between the top edge of the leather and the bottom edge of the mag release button.. That won't go away when the leather softens up a bit because its above the holster.

jylederman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Franklin, IN
    Thanks for the review I've been a little curios about the crossbreed holsters. One question though has anyone had issues with carrying a 1911 w/o a rail in a holster that is designed to carry one with. I have multiple 1911 and would like to buy one holster to carry them in.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great Review! :yesway:

It's good to see that the Crossbreed holds its own against the [STRIKE]copycats[/STRIKE] big manufacturers. I've been using Crossbreeds for years and I remember when it was a tiny company and now I see their ads in magazines and on TV. Living the American Dream and it couldn't happen to a better guy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for the review I've been a little curios about the crossbreed holsters. One question though has anyone had issues with carrying a 1911 w/o a rail in a holster that is designed to carry one with. I have multiple 1911 and would like to buy one holster to carry them in.

The Galco kydex used on their "5 Railed" model is EXACTLY the same as the kydex used on their "3 to 4 Non-railed" model King Tuck. Yesterday and today I'm carrying a 3.5" non-railed 1911 in my 5" railed King Tuck. It fits like a glove. No issues, snug and secure.

The ONLY difference between the 5" Galco holster and the 3-4" Galco holster for the 1911 models is the amount of leather below the kydex. The 5" holster has a longer flap of leather that protrudes down below the kydex to keep the muzzle of the longer gun barrel/slide off your body.

I bought the 5" model but my railed gun is a compact gun. It lets me carry one of my full size guns if I want to, but its no problem to carry a compact model and its no problem to carry a non-railed model.

My recommendation to you is to buy a CrossBreed SuperTuck 1911 5" railed model holster or a similar King Tuck from Galco and that will let you carry any 1911, railed or not, full size or compact.

It's good to see that the Crossbreed holds its own against the [STRIKE]copycats[/STRIKE] big manufacturers. I've been using Crossbreeds for years and I remember when it was a tiny company and now I see their ads in magazines and on TV. Living the American Dream and it couldn't happen to a better guy.
    I'll totally agree with you on all these points.

My CrossBreed is literally one of the very earliest holsters he ever made. I was curious to see how it compared. Now that I own both a CrossBreed Super Tuck and a Galco King Tuck I can say that I think the CrossBreed is simply more comfortable. Some of that may be because I don't have the "combat cut" on my CrossBreed and I like that extra bit of leather. That said, the King Tuck 'looks' like its better made, using high grade leather. I think the clips on the CrossBreed are better because they only have 1 mounting screw, which makes the "tuck able" factor easier and allows for a deeper tuck of your dress shirt if you need to tuck it into your belt. Again JMO.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't have a King Tuk, but I really like my Crossbreed....works great.....feels great. I do however have a new White Hat coming in about three weeks. It is very similiar to the Crossbreed, but the holsters are screwed in and therefore replaceable for another handgun, breakage or what ever.

White Hats are Cool,
    Vv

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I have owned both. Currently EDC is in King Tuk. Cheaper, better leather IMO and no 6-10 wk wait for delivery.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have owned both. Currently EDC is in King Tuk. Cheaper, better leather IMO and no 6-10 wk wait for delivery.
    Cheaper ~ yes it is, about $6, I did address that in my review

Better leather ~ yes, I do believe that Galco used nicer looking leather and they used 2 layers of it also. I also pointed that out in my review. It is also much stiffer and much thicker, meaning less comfortable.

no 6-10 wk wait ~ this is an excellent point and one that I did miss. The CrossBreed is sold on their company website and you do have to wait for them to make and ship your holster. They have been known to have backlogs for their product and its possible to wait to get one. Some items are kept in stock, but its still very common to wait a month for a CrossBreed. The Galco is commonly available at many websites and at many stocking gunshops so its pretty easy to find and obtain very quickly. If you need a holster NOW then it is the easy choice in gun leather.​

None of that changes my view that the more functional holster is the CrossBreed. Its clips allow for a deeper tuck of your shirt tail into your pants, which prevents your shirt from bunching up as much under the holster clip. Its simply more comfortable to wear.

I don't have a King Tuk, but I really like my Crossbreed....works great.....feels great. I do however have a new White Hat coming in about three weeks. It is very similiar to the Crossbreed, but the holsters are screwed in and therefore replaceable for another handgun, breakage or what ever.
    I'll admit to having never heard of White Hat. It would be nice to see some photos and a comparison. There are a few other brands out there that are also similar. K-Holster makes a cheaper version on a huge leather backing that is about the size/shape of a pancake. Com-Tac makes a deluxe version of the CrossBreed that costs a good deal more but has nicer leather than the Galco, more adjustably, etc.

I guess success breeds copies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom