• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    I have a Bersa 380 Thunder I purchased a few years ago and has never had a round in it. Thinking of either trading it in on another Colt or Sig, selling it or just keeping it. I have been of the opinion that is somewhat of a "Saturday Night Special". Any opinions are appreciated.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I might call a Bersa thunder a compact or even a "pocket" gun, but I would NEVER call it a "Saturday Night Special".

In the first place, a "Saturday Night Special" is generally considered to be a VERY cheap revolver.
    Bersa Thunders are not revolvers. They may be inexpensive, but they are not cheap.

Trade it if you'd like, but don't call it something it isn't.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    What was your original purpose for buying it? It sounds like you decided to not use it for that purpose so if it still doesn't serve any purpose for you, getting rid of it might not be a bad decision, especially if you aren't ever going to trust it because you think it is a low quality weapon. It's not my cup of tea, but a lot of people swear by the little Bersa.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    In my opinion its one of the best bang for the buck carry pieces out there if you trust 380 which I do. yes they are cheaply made, don't have all the frills, don't have the best look, or fit and finish, but they are super accurate and once broke in very reliable. I have been around ALOT of handguns and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one at all.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    I might call a Bersa thunder a compact or even a "pocket" gun, but I would NEVER call it a "Saturday Night Special".

In the first place, a "Saturday Night Special" is generally considered to be a VERY cheap revolver.
    Bersa Thunders are not revolvers. They may be inexpensive, but they are not cheap.

Thanks for the education. :yesway:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Thunder 380 isn't a bad gun, at all. I'd much rather have one of them than a Smith & Wesson-made PPK/S. But, for my money, I'd rather have a Polish P-64 CZAK, than either of them.

Last edited:

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    In my opinion its one of the best bang for the buck carry pieces out there if you trust 380 which I do. yes they are cheaply made, don't have all the frills, don't have the best look, or fit and finish, but they are super accurate and once broke in very reliable. I have been around ALOT of handguns and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one at all.
    What would you consider as "broke in" and would this be the point you would carry as a primary carry weapon?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    broke in would be when I don't have any malfunctions that I can associate to the pistol. at least 100 rounds w/out a hiccup. and at least four or five mags of my carry ammo w/out malfunction.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    broke in would be when I don't have any malfunctions that I can associate to the pistol. at least 100 rounds w/out a hiccup. and at least four or five mags of my carry ammo w/out malfunction.
    Sounds good- I just finished reading many posts about the Bersa 380, may keep this piece and get my wife some more time on the range with an instructor to get her more comfy with the semi-autos in .380 and 9mm. Think I will hang on to the Bersa. Thanks a bunch!

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.

For what it's worth, go to Wikipedia, search Saturday night special and see what comes up. :):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well how 'bout that.
    I had never heard anyone refer to anything other than a seriously cheap revolver as a "Saturday Night Special".

Still, I reiterate, a Bersa is NOT a "cheap" handgun.
    The very description, even according to Wikipeida, is a handgun that is so poorly constructed as to cause a great risk to the user, thus garnering their importation ban.

I will say I'd have to agree with Wikipedia though, the Raven line was EXTREMELY dangerous to it's user.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    for the money the bersa is a fine weapon. you can spend more money and get a walther ppk/s but your not getting a better gun. you can trade and get a sig 238 or colt pocketlight and you will have to pay money to boot. Again you wont be getting a better gun then your 300 dollar bersa. i have a bersa thunder that i have shot around 500 rounds threw with zero jams.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I tried to talk my wife into one because of all the good reports I had heard about them, but she thought it was "ugly" and the Sig P238 Rainbow was "pretty". How can you fight that? Besides, she liked the way my P238 Nitron shot. Kinda sucked that the Sig was double the money, but...happy wife, happy life. Moral of the story, get what works. If the Bersa works, and you like it...keep it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    that's a rut you don't want to dig trust me. thinking that because she is a woman you can get away with a "cheaper" gun.... all that mentality does is drive women away from our hobby

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    that's a rut you don't want to dig trust me. thinking that because she is a woman you can get away with a "cheaper" gun.... all that mentality does is drive women away from our hobby

Well that should be a given.
    We all know that women ALWAYS want the more expensive stuff.

Top Bottom