• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Had one. Never had an issue with it. Fine gun.

However, it's as large as many of the single stack 9s out there nowadays (and heavier than some).

So, if you're not recoil sensitive, there's no real reason not to shoot a comparable size platform in a more potent round.

An interesting comparison piece is something like a Kahr CW9.

alex00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Had one. Never had an issue with it. Fine gun.

However, it's as large as many of the single stack 9s out there nowadays (and heavier than some).

So, if you're not recoil sensitive, there's no real reason not to shoot a comparable size platform in a more potent round.

An interesting comparison piece is something like a Kahr CW9.

For somebody with small hands I really love the Bersa. Fits perfectly in my hands and you can barely feel the recoil. I bought a SW Shield which is a single stack 9 and the Bersa just feels way better for me. My thumb was hurting after firing 50 rounds through the Shield. The Bersa just feels so natural. I'm assuming the Shield is on the smaller version of the 9mm because the other 9s ive fired were just way too bulky.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Makes a fine "milk run" CCW. I currently own one, not one issue. Sometimes used as a BUG to a G19. Have owned a few in the past, and did not have problems with any. Have tried other flavors of 380ACP: Browning, Beretta, Walther(not the S&W model) and all were more money, few issues as well. You do get what you pay for.

Keep it, shoot it, clean it. Worth what you paid.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Well that should be a given.
    We all know that women ALWAYS want the more expensive stuff.

Hmmm...and I thought my wife was the only one that always picked the most expensive...well, everything!

For double the price, and as far as reliability out of the box, I would actually bet on the bersa.

What's double the price? CW9's have been going for $299 on gunbroker, NIB for a couple weeks now. I do like the .380, but agree, if you are not recoil sensitive, a 9mm might be a little better choice. Not knocking the Bersa at all...just saying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    I have very limited experience with the Bersa line and no experience with the .380, so my comments may not be very relavent. My son recently purchased a .45 ACP Bursa. I found the gun pleasant to shoot. We had a couple of FTFs with it, but it was brand new, so I will give it the benefit if the doubt for now. What I did notice was that it lacked the level of finish that I expect from a top shelf firearm. However, since they do not have a top shelf price it seems to be a fair trade off...Just not a trade I am willing to make for the guns that I choose to own.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    FWIW, I've owned one for a few years and have had no problems with it. My wife owned one as well before I met her (the fact that she owned guns was a huge turn on), and she is comfortable shooting it as well. It's a great pocket gun if you want something very small.

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    I had a Bersa Thunder .380 that I bought when I figured out that my G19 is more than I wanted IWB. Had quite a few feed problems early on, but once I got about 500 rounds downrange it was very dependable. I preferred 9mm, so I swapped it (+$) for a Ruger LC9 which is about the same size but lighter weight I think. I enjoyed myself more at the range with the Bersa due to the lighter recoil, and greater accuracy - easier to control. Back then .380 was Very difficult to find and 9mm was more available.... times change. I liked the Bersa trigger better too, but I'm used to the LC9 trigger now (about 500 rounds), although I hope I never really have to hit anything over about 20 feet away....good 'nuff for SD.

Last edited:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Bersa Thunder 380, is one of the most accurate, reliable pistols I have ever owned at any price.
    Calling any Bersa product a " Saturday Night Special", is like calling Taylor Swift ugly.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For double the price, and as far as reliability out of the box, I would actually bet on the bersa.

Try about $70 more. Examples:

Bersa Thunder 380 - 6.6" L x 4.9" H x 1.3" W, 20 oz., 3.5" bbl, 7+1, 380 ACP, approx $282 (all prices from Bud's)
    Kahr CW9 - 5.9" L x 4.5" H x 0.9" W, 17.7 oz, 3.5" bbl, 7+1, 9mm, approx $354 ($72 more)
    Ruger LC9 - 6" L x 4.5" H x 0.9" W, 17.1 oz, 3.12" bbl, 7+1, 9mm, approx $352 ($70 more)

[insert your favorite, smallish, single stack 9mm here]

Point being - there are several alternatives in this size envelope in a more potent caliber.

Like I said, I had a Bersa. Fine gun. Exceptional value compared to analogues like the Walther PPK and SIG P232.

However, given the small light 9mms available today, it seems like 380s in this size package less useful than they once were.

Granted, this is from a purely utilitarian perspective. There are lots of other reasons to own particular guns. Sometimes you just think it's cool to have a gun that looks like something James Bond might use in a movie.

But, back to the OP, it depends on your needs and wants. Does the Bersa fit a niche in your battery/collection? Are you particularly attached to it? If you kept it, what would be the reason? If you sold it, with what would you replace it?

No reason not to keep it, but if you want to sell it, you could easily find a buyer. They're decent guns with a good rep.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Thunder 380 isn't a bad gun, at all. I'd much rather have one of them than a Smith & Wesson-made PPK/S. But, for my money, I'd rather have a Polish P-64 CZAK, than either of them.

^^^^This^^^^

I have owned and really liked several Bersa Thunder 380s but wanted something in stainless. I made the mistake of thinking I was stepping up in getting a PPK/S. It took around 500 rounds before I could trust it. That, and some tweaking to get it to function reliably. Even now, I know the PPK/S will function with factory ammo reliably but it does not get shot much. It's a gun that I want to love but just never could.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I also have a bersa .380 and love it. I have fairly large hands and it's comfortable. Was accurate out of the box with no adjustments needed. That was a big thing for me i like that for the price it came with a windage adjustable rear sight. It's not expensive at all and mine has so far had no problems at all. I do have well over 500rounds through it and it's smooth. When target shooting it's a dream to me because i'm used to striker fire so having heavy pull etc. This is much lighter and smoother then some of the guns i have shot. Dead on accurate for what i've put it through. Matter of fact another pistol that has been extremely accurate for me is a kel-tec p-11 people swear them off as horrible guns and crappy range guns. Well of course they were made for carry. Yes they're cheap to buy. Does that make them bad? No. A lot of people have the mindset that if something is cheap it's crap. I've seen it numerous times on this forum too. It could be optics, AR's a specific remington 700 stock or what have you everyone has there opinion but a lot of people seem to be on the same boat of if it's cheap it's junk. I've owned many cheap guns and high-end guns. I only keep what i'm comfortable with. So far my cheap guns i carry fairly often are the two i mentioned. They've done everything and more that i've asked them to. And i wouldn't trade either off because to me they are versatile.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    A few years back I bought a Sig P230 for my dads Christmas present. A friend of mine has a Bersa 380. Visually I will give the mark to Sig, it was a much nicer finished pistol. Beyond that, they were both just as accurate, functioned the same, and felt the same in hand. If I were in the market for a similar pistol for carry duty, I would not hesitate to pick up a Bersa over a Sig or a Walther.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I happen to own a Bersa Thunder.380, it was the very first gun I bought - and I love it! I have very small hands and it just fits me well. It isn't too heavy and has minimal recoil. I did however experience several stovepipes and FTE while shooting the first box of ammo through. After about 50 rounds, I don't think it has had an issue since!

Top Bottom