• ...and so much more!
  • DM9367

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2022
    Monticello
    Before I go on the hunt for one, has anyone had any first hand experience with a Beretta Cheetah? Pros/cons? I've become rather fond of classic compact Berettas after purchasing a couple. Any input on other classic compact Berettas is welcome. Thank you.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have an 84BB. It has the walnut grips. It's small enough to pocket carry and stays loaded on the safe door. It's my go to for deep concealment.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have an 81BB...double-stack Cheetah in .32 ACP. Even though it's straight-blowback, it's an easy gun to shoot...very little recoil in the .32, although I hear the .380s are a bit snappier. It has been as reliable as my 92FS, and accurate.

It's a big gun for a diminutive caliber. Sigblitz must have some big pockets, because I don't see pocket carrying mine, at least not comfortably. I've not had a chance to play with the single-stack models, but I've heard they're not much thinner than the double-stack, so doubt there would be a worthwhile tradeoff to go with the 85 over the 84.

The trigger is typical old-school Beretta...smooth, but LONG DA pull, and a long reset. In recent years, there have been improved trigger bars offered by Langdon, Wilson, and even Beretta themselves with the 92X series, to shorten the reset on the 92s. I'm not sure that anything similar exists for the Cheetah line. I haven't had a chance to shoot the 80X yet, so maybe they did something similar with that new release.

They're good guns, they just have some limitations. As long as you're realistic about that going in, you'll be happy with your purchase.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    I had a 85 Cheetah back in the day. Late 80's/early 90. I carried it some and it was completely reliable. I liked it because it was a Beretta! Everything about it was decent considering what was offered back then.
    I did not keep it too long but that has always been the case with me concerning 380 autos for some reason.
    I really like the 87 Cheetahs. I had a new one which was finicky and later found an older model which runs 100% on CCI mini mags. A true joy to shoot.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife's first pistol was a Model 85 Cheetah, a single-stack .380 acp, and she absolutely LOVED it!!! It was an awesome shooter!
    That being said, after a while, she decided that she wanted a 9mm and we traded the Cheetah .380 acp in for a Glock 26 for her.
    In the end, she went through half-dozen different pistols (Glock 26, HK P2000C, Ruger SP101 .38, Springfield XDM, S&W Shield 9mm, etc.) and, 4 years ago, she went back to a Beretta, a 92FS, and loves it.
    Her and I each have a 'regret' pistol (one that we sold or traded and wished we still had) and the 85 Cheetah is her 'regret' pistol.
    The only thing I wish was that she had one with the 13-round magazine so, if I ever get one back for her, it'll be a Model 84.

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Mine was purchased in 1999 as my high school graduation gift from my Mom and Dad (mainly Dad :) ). Fred at Ludco had to actually order it, which didn’t happen too often if anyone remembers his shop with pistols stacked on top of pistols.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I had an 84f (technically, the better half did) for a while. very stiff recoil spring, very sharp recoil impulse (being straight blowback). Huge grip. Being an all-metal DA/SA is it's only benefit. They're fun as a collectible but for practicality, they're outpaced in almost every category.

Those must be some generous britches to fit one in a pocket much less be able to draw.

Top Bottom