• ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    What's it like?

I just got a call tonight about being an instructor for the local 4-H shooting sports program. I took shooting sports for 6-8 years roughly 6 years ago. Specifically it was handgun instructor, which i probably took for 5-7 of those years.

Who's done this? What's it like? How much patience do i need to teach these little monsters? How long before i no longer think "little monsters" is sarcastic and decide it's an accurate description? Any chance of me improving my skills?

I know the primary emphasis is on safety, but i don't think i'm an expert on shooting by any means.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Some of my in-laws are 4-H Equestrian instructors. I know that they spend a LOT of time with it...

I've not heard any complaints, though, about the little nose-pickers.

Guess I'm not much of a help, eh? LOL

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    i don't do shooting sports for 4-H, but i have been involved with cub scouts for 5 years now. the cub scuots do a day camp very summer, and the kids come for 4 days, nd the range is open half a day on Saturday.

there are a few every summer are a few who you want to take to the lake and toss in. over all the kids who are there want to be shooting. it is something they don't get to do often. the kids listen as well as expected for there age (1-5 grade) to the instructional portion of it, and listen well on the fireing line.

things to remember / push.
    1. keep it safe
    2. it is YOUR range, if they will not follow your rules, and instructions, they are off.
    3. keep it safe
    4. it's not a competition between the kids, it's if the kid is improving
    5. keep it safe
    6. inspect the gear
    7. (ok, ok, I'll stop, you get it)
    8. if the parents are there at the range, find a nice place for them to sit, away from the firing line, but with in sight.
    9. if they are standing, keep a close eye on them, i have had two turn to say something to there friends with a drawn bow.
    10. the look on a kids face when they hit the target / get a bulls eye / what ever they were hopping to do is great. these are their first introduction to the shooting sports, and i have see several get hooked.

Iceandfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    7 miles from Medora, IN
    I'm the coordinator for the Washington County 4-H Safe Shooting Sports. I've been instructing for about 8 years now. It's one of the most rewarding volunteer jobs I've had. Of course, I've never had a "monster" yet. All the kids in our club are very interested and want to succeed in their discipline, whether its rifle, pistol, archery or shotgun. We have 7 certified instructors and meet for 6 weeks each year. Here's a quote from one of the kids in today's local paper:
    "4-H Shooting Sports
    By: Adam Fisher
    I encourage everyone to join shooting sports. At shooting sports, you meet every Thursday for meetings. During the meetings, we take attendance, and then we start shooting. Every year we plan a couple of days for range day, where we go to David Day's house and shoot guns."
    I think that about says it all.
    (Mr. Day is another of our instructors who has built a nice range on his farm for us.)
    You will need to go through the the certification class at Purdue in the discipline you want to teach in. It's a two-day (weekend) class at Ross Camp. If you have questions, contact me or your local 4-H Educator. You'll have fun and get a lot out of it!

JeremySmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Rolling Prairie
    I'm the coordinator for LaPorte county. We're just getting going after about a year of planning. We just had a rifle shoot last night, and it was flat-out awesome. To see kids excited about something that is not a video game, while being polite and respectful is something you just don't see anymore.

I'd definitely recommend that anyone interested in shooting stop by and watch one of the 4-H shoots.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Started a group locally. The kids aren't a problem generally, I had prearranged that I was not going to tolerate any BS from anyone and never had any cause to test it. It is rewarding- and to me it needs to be my reward, not someone else's. The curriculum changed as I was bowing out from actual hands on stuff to coloring book. I left for other reasons but I'm not sure if I would have stayed if it was coming down to what I feared, as Scouting had done....

Kids today need more than coloring books and video games. If you're gonna be a firearms instructor then get them to a range-

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    HI: Iam a co-founder and Instructor for the Johnson County 4-H Shooting Sports program with my Instructors in the Archery/Shotgun and Rifle disciplines. Planning on going back to Ross Camp next for the pistol Discipline. All of my kids are to old to be in but I do have grand children that want in so Iam stuck for a few more years (Darn!) Let me tell you that last year we 120 youth members and this was one of the best and most rewarding summers I have had in awhile. You will not regret being involved in this organization.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    This weekend I had my training for being an instructor at Ross Camp near West Lafayette. I didn't know anybody going and had no idea what I was getting into, I just showed up.

Friday was check in, then a 3 hour or so orientation and public speaking speech/presentation. I've taken speaking classes before in college so that was all review for me. Was in bed before 11. Bed was a bunk bed with "mattress" in the A-Frame. It was comfortable, but I don't know how they made a thick mattress so hard. It was like a wrestling mat or padding on walls.

Saturday we where up at 6 with breakfast at 7 or so. The food all weekend was GREAT. Then class all day Saturday. This was the first time we split up by discipline. There where 16 taking the pistol course. It was all pretty basic, as this is basic pistol course, so none of the gun-facts where new to me. I had to remind myself to pay attention to the teaching aspect. I had to listen so I could teach it, not so I could learn it for myself. We did some indoor pistol shooting, one student shooting, another behind them instructing, then switch places. A few more hours of class, and by 3:30 or so we got to go out to the out door shooting range for .22's and center fire pistols. Due to budget, we only got to shoot 5 rounds each of center fire (9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357) We shot until 6, then supper and more class. I think we shot over 1500 rounds of .22. (I shot very well and was proud of myself. Always makes you feel good to hit what you’re aiming at!) After supper, there was a test over what we had covered. I missed one, but I should not have missed even that. You could answer many of the questions with common sense, so I wouldn't fear the test at all.

Sunday was practicum day. Your class must teach your discipline to one of the other disciplines. I don't think anyone was really looking forward to it. In the morning, we learned from the "Outdoor Experience" discipline. That class looked VERY interesting, but others are much much more qualified than I to teach it. I think I was the only male in our group that had to admit he had never tracked a bleeding deer before. After lunch, we got to teach them how to shoot pistols. It wasn't too bad really, but there were 16 of us trying to teach a fairly basic course (everyone has to speak). It might have been easier with less people. We did our speaking on safety and gun parts, then they got to shoot air pistols on the indoor range. I think they really enjoyed it and they where a really fun group.

Overall, I passed the course. I think to fail the course you would have to try. Any interest at all in the subject and you're good to go. There was at least one woman there who had either never shot a pistol before or not for many years. Oh, and our class had two female instructors-to-be.

Tomorrow, I’m going to my first course to try my hand at instructing. I’ll let you guys know how it goes and how I like it.

Top Bottom