• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Careful. Some high power tools REQUIRE the high power batteries to work. So there IS a difference.

Standard tools have a + and - on either side of the battery. HP packs and tools use ANOTHER set of contacts in the front (?) of the battery. So when you look inside the battery well you see 3 contacts instead of 2. To my knowledge, there are VERY few HP tools.

EDIT: since the extra contacts are only to provide more current to the tool, a HP battery in a standard tool will perform more or less equal to a standard battery.
    But does that justify the higher price? If there is not much difference in performance, it seems most obviously not.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Careful. Some high power tools REQUIRE the high power batteries to work. So there IS a difference.

Standard tools have a + and - on either side of the battery. HP packs and tools use ANOTHER set of contacts in the front (?) of the battery. So when you look inside the battery well you see 3 contacts instead of 2. To my knowledge, there are VERY few HP tools.

EDIT: since the extra contacts are only to provide more current to the tool, a HP battery in a standard tool will perform more or less equal to a standard battery.

They explained it more as Data connections- tells Controller on Battery the tool needs more power

None of my Drills or Trimmer's have the extra contacts ... so not worth Double the Money to me -- YMMV

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    This spring I grabbed the handy Echo battery string trimmer and no joy - battery got too low over winter and won't recharge. It was good, handy quiet for two years and now dead. Replacement battery is nearly the cost of a whole new one.

Picked up the old Echo SR-225 GASOLINE string trimmer, fired on first pull.

I think there is a lesson there: battery stuff is not as use-and-forget as gasoline stuff.

PS I only use E0 (non alcohol fuel) in my small engines.

steverino

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    I'm thinking this might be the year for me to invest in a new battery powered string trimmer?

Lotta choices and price ranges out there. Your experience with these?

I agree with the EGO 56 volt system. I had a Black & Decker 18 volt system. Worked fairly well until the Nicad batteries got old. The wife said she needed more power so I bought the trimmer and edger for Mother’s Day. Comes in a combo pack for $420. She is impressed and it is quiet so I can nap. It is a bit heavy so I ordered the strap. The prices are set by EGO so they are the same everywhere.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    This spring I grabbed the handy Echo battery string trimmer and no joy - battery got too low over winter and won't recharge. It was good, handy quiet for two years and now dead. Replacement battery is nearly the cost of a whole new one.

I think there is a lesson there: battery stuff is not as use-and-forget as gasoline stuff.

What does the battery do when you put it on the charger?

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    Another vote for Milwaukee. I do use their tools at work and already had batteries and chargers. That made the decision easy. Have had no problems with anything Milwaukee. Have my eyes on the chainsaw next!!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've got Kobalt 40V gear: trimmer, edger, and blower. So far, no complaints. As for the weed eater: I have only light-duty trimming needs, at best.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree with the EGO 56 volt system. I had a Black & Decker 18 volt system. Worked fairly well until the Nicad batteries got old. The wife said she needed more power so I bought the trimmer and edger for Mother’s Day. Comes in a combo pack for $420. She is impressed and it is quiet so I can nap. It is a bit heavy so I ordered the strap. The prices are set by EGO so they are the same everywhere.

Forget the trimmer. How much for the wife? :)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

That's great if you are good at maintaining your gas engines. Not so much if you aren't.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I don't leave the batteries in the garage over winter myself. Keep them in the basement.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    What does the battery do when you put it on the charger?
    Thanks for asking. LED Flashes some fault code of not charging. After watching a YouTube video about it, attempted to charge it with a separate power supply. When returned to the normal charger, it appeared to charge but reverted to the flashing LED of death.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Thanks for asking. LED Flashes some fault code of not charging. After watching a YouTube video about it, attempted to charge it with a separate power supply. When returned to the normal charger, it appeared to charge but reverted to the flashing LED of death.
    Ahh, OK. I would have said try putting it on the charger about 50 times - that worked for me because I think it got a little bit of charge each time until there was enough voltage to go. However you bypassed all of that with the power supply. Yours sounds like it is indeed gone.

You can disassemble them and replace bad cells if you are so inclined. Videos on youtube.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Well, I picked up the gas powered one, and fought for an hour before I gave up, so now I'm perusing this thread.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What brand and size trimmer string do you all favor?

I took off the factory supplied line on the new Milwaukee trimmer, as was suggested by product comments and youtubers.

I put on Husqvarna brand "titanium" line, as a YouTuber suggested. I was lucky to have some on hand, leftover from the trimmer before last.

Didn't think much about the fact that this line had been hanging on the wall in an open air barn for 10+ years.

The line must have become brittle over the years. Took me a couple loadings to decide the line was the problem, rather than the brand new trimmer.

I had another spool of line (label gone, can't remember name,) old also. Some red colored multi-edge line, recommended by a professional yard service a while back.

This red line worked pretty well, compared to the junk anyway. I still have to run down the name of it and or find a modern line alternative.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I've got Kobalt 40V gear: trimmer, edger, and blower. So far, no complaints. As for the weed eater: I have only light-duty trimming needs, at best.
    I am on my 4th summer with a 40v Kobalt trimmer I got that was a store return due to battery (it had a new battery when I bought it). Picked up the blower a bit later and the hedge trimmer on season clearance. All have given good service to me and I've been happy.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I have the EGo trimmer and blower for over 2 years I guess and they get regular workouts. Love them both, lightweight and low maintenance. loading the .095 line on the trimmer is super easy. Battery life can get me halfway through my 2 acre property needs which is rural and requires a lot of work, but I could use the bigger battery. Blower is awesome. I’ve never loved a leaf blower until now. Light and easy to use and carry, it’s great. The EGo mower though sucks, way under powered and just leaves a crappy cut. It just sits in the shed. Batteries are indeed expensive, but in my mind balances out with lower maintenance costs and gas In the long run.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Ive had a greenworks pro 60v 2.5ah trimmer for 4 years now. Get about 4 sessions out of each charge in a 100x100 lot. Haven’t had one issue with it yet. Think I paid around 130-140 for it. Balances well with the battery in place. Not too heavy. More than powerful enough. Battery fully charges in about 2 hours.

That one.

Top Bottom