Battery powered security camera recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I see the Arlo brand at Sams club but don't know much about them.

I'm currently using some "Yi" cameras i got from Amazon. Alright but not ideal.

I know that Ring and Nest are big but big money too.

Thanks!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’ve got a cheap (not wireless) camera that I bought off Amazon a few years ago and I have a Ring doorbell camera.

Just based on my experience with these 2 cameras, you get what you pay for. The cheap one works. It sends me notificatons when it “sees” something moving…when it sees anything moving. The Ring is a battery powered version and it just works better. A lot fewer false alarms. It just seems to be better engineered.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Take a look at Blink. Available from Amazon.

2nd vote for Blink. Bought a few cameras for myself during Prime Days sale last month. Purchased a module with 256g USB for extra storage, no subscription required. Works very well, better than I expected. Easy to install too. Lithium battery will last about a year or so, good security system for first timers like myself.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have the Arlo from Costco. No complaints but only using intermittently for 2 months. I also have the Arlo Hub, which came with the package. A little pricey at $400 butit comes with 3 cameras and the hub. It's pretty fast with the notifications.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    2nd vote for Blink. Bought a few cameras for myself during Prime Days sale last month. Purchased a module with 256g USB for extra storage, no subscription required. Works very well, better than I expected. Easy to install too. Lithium battery will last about a year or so, good security system for first timers like myself.
    How does one go about adding the USB for storage to avoid the subscription? Asking for a friend.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    How does one go about adding the USB for storage to avoid the subscription? Asking for a friend.

I bought a Blink 2 camera pack with module. The module syncs cameras with your wi-fi, it's the black square with two lights in the pic. It has to be plugged into an outlet to work.

I separately purchased a module mount to hold it neatly against the outlet, it included a 256g USB to plug into the module. It's the little silver thing sticking out of the side of the module.

All can be found on Amazon.

Every new system automatically comes with a free 30 day trial of cloud storage and enhanced features from Blink. My trial just ended. I've had no problem with storage and the system does what I need it to do.

Attachments

• F3EF802F-9550-4A8D-80F3-DE838D1042D9.jpeg
      F3EF802F-9550-4A8D-80F3-DE838D1042D9.jpeg
      354.3 KB · Views: 9

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    Admittedly this is WAY more than the OP asked about but I've been looking into getting a full set-up from Ubiquiti. https://www.ui.com/

A Dream Machine Pro, some switches, a Network Video Recorder, WiFi access points, and some Power over Ethernet cameras.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I bought a Blink 2 camera pack with module. The module syncs cameras with your wi-fi, it's the black square with two lights in the pic. It has to be plugged into an outlet to work.

I separately purchased a module mount to hold it neatly against the outlet, it included a 256g USB to plug into the module. It's the little silver thing sticking out of the side of the module.

All can be found on Amazon.

Every new system automatically comes with a free 30 day trial of cloud storage and enhanced features from Blink. My trial just ended. I've had no problem with storage and the system does what I need it to do.
    How long can you get on the memory card?

Name

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Randolph County
    I see the Arlo brand at Sams club but don't know much about them.

I'm currently using some "Yi" cameras i got from Amazon. Alright but not ideal.

I know that Ring and Nest are big but big money too.

Thanks!
    My Arlo's made me realize hardwired cameras to a hard drive is the only way. They are very nice. Batteries last a long time, great notifications, and you will only ever catch a video of someone running away with your stuff. Can't identify the back of a head. I now have Reolink AI cameras recording 24 hours a day. You'd be shocked how much gets missed. I still do use the reolinks for their notifications though.

Top Bottom