• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    I get that an entire political party would love to see this guy swing but as gun owners we should hope he does not all for the legal precedence alone. An accidental shooting, which happens dozens a times a day in this country, needs to remain accidental. Even if you hate the guy who held the gun when the accident occurred.

The state it's being tried in is Democrat.
    The district attorney is a Democrat.

If you think this is Baldwin facing "just consequences" you're mislead. It's just one more attack on our rights that will be used against innocent gun owners who have a heart breaking accident sometime in their future.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I get that an entire political party would love to see this guy swing but as gun owners we should hope he does not all for the legal precedence alone. An accidental shooting, which happens dozens a times a day in this country, needs to remain accidental. Even if you hate the guy who held the gun when the accident occurred.

If you think this is Baldwin facing "just consequences" you're mislead. It's just one more attack on our rights that will be used against innocent gun owners who have a heart breaking accident sometime in their future.
    Joy Behr says the prosecutor is a "big Republican"! I think a long time ago, some gun owners said that there are no such things as "accidental discharges". They say that there are only "negligent discharges"! Anyone who accepts a firearm from another has a responsibility to check it to see if it is loaded, as well as, treat it in a manner that doesn't put anyone else in danger. We also have a responsibility to train those around guns in firearm safety, as well as, a responsibility to keep them out of the hands of irresponsible people. There is no place for loosey goosey gun handling anywhere. Baldwin has never admitted that he pulled the trigger. That is either the huge Hollywood ego at work (I'm always right) or a glaring lack of character (maybe both). I wish he had left the country when he said he would.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

I don’t buy your argument. I for one do not believe in accidental shootings. Someone has to do something wrong for that to occur. I could be the fault of whoever got shot, but someone is at fault (I am hunting on private property with appropriate signage and someone who is trespassing I could not see was behind the deer I just missed). Maybe this would not result in charges but still someone is at fault.

Or, I am a nurse and a tech or a pharmacist hands me heparin (an anticoagulant) and I am told its 1,000 units/ml but in reality its 10,000 units/ml. Same size and shape bottle. I give a patient 50,000 units instead of the prescribed 5,000 units and they bleed out and die. I will be charged with malpractice, lose my license and livelihood and possibly suffer civil liability as well. Sure the tech/pharmacist and manufacturer have some culpability and may suffer consequences but I am SOL because I did not follow one of the 4 basic rules of medication administration. Just like Baldwin did not follow one of the 4 basic rules of firearm handling.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I can't believe that no one in this thread (over the last week, at least) has mentioned that the cast / crew were PLINKING ON SET with live rounds WITH the same guns that were to be "prop guns" and that they had co-mingled live and blank rounds. And I seem to recall that they'd had several instances that exposed what a dim-bulb their "armorer" was. She had zero business doing that job.

Those reports were out over a year ago.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If the firearm was a "slip gun," designed for fanning the hammer, it could have fired without pulling the trigger.
    If it was defective, it may be neither the full-cock notch nor half-cock notch caught the hammer.
    It would require examination of the firearm to determine this.
    It is more likely Baldwin had his finger in the trigger guard and was holding the trigger to the rear as he gripped the gun. He may have assumed the trigger would have to "reset" like a semi-auto pistol before it would fire or, more likely, he just didn't think at all. In his mind, holding the trigger to the rear and pulling the trigger are likely two different things.
    Various articles (and the prosecutor) said that the FBI lab tested the gun and it would not fire without the trigger being pulled until they broke it. Then it would fire w/o the trigger.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    And where the accidental shooting of Brandon Lee was not charged was due to it was a defect of the firearm where debris from a prior scene was dislodged within the bore and it wasn’t an actual bullet that killed him from what I remember and read.
    Apparently that movie production was also a bit loosy-goosey. The prop people made their own dummy rounds by pulling the bullet from live rounds, dumping the powder, and reseating the bullet. But they didnt pull the primers. The gun was loaded with the dummy rounds and used in a scene where the trigger was pulled. No-one noticed the little pop nor noticed that when the gun was unloaded a dummy round was missing its bullet, which was lodged in the barrel. For a later scene gun was reloaded with blank rounds, pointed at Brandon, and BOOM. .44 IIRC. Not really a “fragment” (fragment of the total cartridge I suppose) but a lot of stories use that term. Clever bit of PR on someone’s part.

Lot of bad decisions and procedures there too, but IIRC everyone skated, at least on criminal charges.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I can't believe that no one in this thread (over the last week, at least) has mentioned that the cast / crew were PLINKING ON SET with live rounds WITH the same guns that were to be "prop guns" and that they had co-mingled live and blank rounds. And I seem to recall that they'd had several instances that exposed what a dim-bulb their "armorer" was. She had zero business doing that job.

Those reports were out over a year ago.
    That's the Hillary Clinton defense.
    "What difference, at this point, does it make?"

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

I don't categorize this as an accident, but negligence.

If in real life, someone handed you a gun and told you it was unloaded. If, without checking, you pointed that gun at someone else, pulled the trigger and killed them because it was indeed loaded, would that be an accident?

I call that negligence, not an accident and at minimum it would be negligent homicide.

That this occurred on a movie set makes no difference.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

I get that "accidents happen". Problem is, "negligence happens" too. That, IMHO, would seem to be the case here.

When you're holstering your gun, and you shoot yourself in the leg... good case to argue for "accidental" shooting".

When you point the gun directly at somebody else, and kill them... even by "accident" it's pure negligence.
    Need I remind you of the 4 gun safety rules? Specifically the very first one?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It's just a guess, but I think it likely that Baldwin's role as the Executive Producer played as big a role in his being charged as him being the trigger puller. Hiring unqualified people to oversee safety makes him doubly culpable.

Shep1949

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2023
    Can't a partially pulled back hammer slip and fire a colt without pulling the trigger. Still doesn't excuse the above stupid stuff

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Can't a partially pulled back hammer slip and fire a colt without pulling the trigger. Still doesn't excuse the above stupid stuff
    I believe if the hammer is not far enough back to engage the "1/2 cock" notch, it won't have enough power to fire the cartridge. Pulled further back, the "1/2 cock' notch, which is used to hold the hammer back while the cylinder is rotated for loading, will catch the hammer and prevent firing.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I believe if the hammer is not far enough back to engage the "1/2 cock" notch, it won't have enough power to fire the cartridge. Pulled further back, the "1/2 cock' notch, which is used to hold the hammer back while the cylinder is rotated for loading, will catch the hammer and prevent firing.
    I believe the Uberti replicas they were using have a floating firing pin that acts kind of like a firing pin block does in a semiauto pistol preventing firing pin contact with the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

Top Bottom