• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    People will do that here. Most recently for the southport officer who was killed. Also look around for blue porch lights. That started by someone right here on ingo actualy and is now nationwide.

Did not know this, but recall the rash of blue light avatars when I first started noticing this. Definitely happens here in MA. I know a Satety or 2 and they have the blue out much of the time. As do some of their neighbors as you might imagine. Red for firefighters now too.
    When did this get started and what member, if I may ask?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Did not know this, but recall the rash of blue light avatars when I first started noticing this. Definitely happens here in MA. I know a Satety or 2 and they have the blue out much of the time. As do some of their neighbors as you might imagine. Red for firefighters now too.
    When did this get started and what member, if I may ask?
    We have blue arrows painted towards our house at the end of our driveway to let police know they can find help, food, ammo, firearms whatever they need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Guess I'm going to have to follow my knee-jerk reaction and stock up on the Evil .45 ACP before prices go up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    307th mass shooting this year in the US???

That's from a USA today article.

[FONT=&amp]When the thunder of gunfire broke through the revelry of a country music dance hall packed with young people kicking back on "college night," Thousand Oaks, California, added its name to a dark roster: The site of the 307th mass shooting in the U.S. this year.
    [/FONT]A[FONT=&amp]nd an even grimmer statistic was marked: The 307th mass shooting took place on the 311th day of the year – an average of a deadly incident almost every day so far this year. [/FONT]

Is it like school shooting where a suicide in the parking lot of a closed school counts as a school shooting?

How come they come up with that number?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    How come they come up with that number?

By using the widest possible definition of "mass shooting" and then goosing the number another 25% just because. Basic lying with statistics.

Sgt Ron Helus deserves all the respect in the world. He was the first armed responder on scene, along with another patrolman, entered the bar without hesitation, and was killed while engaging the shooter to stop the massacre. That is some real deal hero stuff.

Huge crowded bar, several off-duty officers in attendance, security guards...not one person able to do a thing to stop the shooter before Sgt Helus arrived on the scene. Not one person able to stop the shooter after the sergeant was shot. The shooter capped himself at his leisure after he was done killing. Thanks, California CCW laws. Keeping the people safe by enforcing victimhood.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I heard journalists say the killer used an "extended" magazine. :rolleyes:

I think that's just a regular magazine.Somehow he didn't follow the law and used a 10 rd California legal magazine.

He also had "special skills" and knew how to change magazines, based on his military experience and training. :rolleyes:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    https://crimeresearch.org/2018/11/t...yjFISBKw-46uPniTjP21NyNxaSMAHywxYC7T-lpOjVyx0

14cbts4.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so apparently only 1 person at this bar was armed and he was apparently a well trained marine with a Glock 21 with extended magazine(s). LEO say they had previously had multiple contacts with him. At least once a crisis team intervened, but determined he was stable enough to not be taken into custody. Ok, unless more comes out to change my mind I think they treated him fairly.
    Just goes to show what we all knew all along. That someone hell bent on carrying out such an attack doesn't need a menacing looking black rifle to do so.

I am not trying to stir the pot, but the article says he may have had PTSD. As I have said before I never served in the military. Is PTSD being diagnosed much better than previously or is it possible that it is being over diagnosed? I guess, I just can't recall ever hearing of it prior to service members returning from the war on terror. Certainly I don't know what our service members have gone through, so I try to be as understanding as I can. I just wonder if it is more common in modern culture or if it just wasn't diagnosed or well known previously.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Ok so apparently only 1 person at this bar was armed and he was apparently a well trained marine with a Glock 21 with extended magazine(s). LEO say they had previously had multiple contacts with him. At least once a crisis team intervened, but determined he was stable enough to not be taken into custody. Ok, unless more comes out to change my mind I think they treated him fairly.
    Just goes to show what we all knew all along. That someone hell bent on carrying out such an attack doesn't need a menacing looking black rifle to do so.

I am not trying to stir the pot, but the article says he may have had PTSD. As I have said before I never served in the military. Is PTSD being diagnosed much better than previously or is it possible that it is being over diagnosed? I guess, I just can't recall ever hearing of it prior to service members returning from the war on terror. Certainly I don't know what our service members have gone through, so I try to be as understanding as I can. I just wonder if it is more common in modern culture or if it just wasn't diagnosed or well known previously.
    I think what is overlooked is this is nothing new. From the dawn of humanity, people have been killing each other, sometimes in large numbers, sometimes in small numbers. There's is absolutely zero historical data to say this is new or recently begat behavior among humans. To use these tragedies to push a political agenda is horrible. There are really only 2 common sense issues here to learn, 1) is people need to be prepared to defend themselves and 2) the left will leave no tragedy unexploited. The 2nd one being as sick as the murders themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I don't know about present day PTSD. I have been fortunate to know several WWII veterans who saw a lot of bad stuff, and they came back to the US and became productive, respected people in their communities. One was a business partner of mine, who survived the Battle of the Bulge. He was as solid of a man as any could imagine. And I've known several others that inspired pride in me. I once saw a documentary about service dogs, that profiled a husband and wife who were veterans of Iraq. The show was about the service dogs, and how they helped people with PTSD, but I couldn't help noticing that she was a file clerk of some kind in the military, and he was on a submarine during the Iraq War. They both were on disability for PTSD. I've not served in the military, and so my opinion means squat to those of you who have, but it struck me as odd that a file clerk and submarine soldier would have PTSD from the Iraq War. Again, that's not what the show was about, but it just struck me as odd.

I don't have the answer about why this latest tragedy happened, or how to avoid it (except to let LEO's, and civilians carry). Are we not giving enough support to our returned soldiers? The question, on it's face, seems simplistic, but what more should we be doing? (aside from decent health care)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I'm wondering if "extended" is the 13 round mags I have for my G21. "May have had PTSD" tells me no one knows and if they do they aren't talking. Diagnosed by an MD is a far sight from an elected official speculating.

I guess I'll be the first to refer to the murderer as "former Cal State Northridge student". He went there after the Marines, just sayin. Looking at the dates he went until GI Bill ran out.

Known to Police and had a mental health evaluation team show up after a "subject disturbing" call. Somebody checked the boxes, but didn't do their job.

Cali's gun laws are downright terrifying to a 2A supporter like myself. These laws worked exactly as written: only the criminal was armed. A mass-murderer sought out a GFZ.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yes mags are neutered in California. Their senator is saying something has to be done right now. She's right. Stop disarming citizens so they're not sitting ducks.

Top Bottom