• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Are you picky where you buy your gas from? Do you buy it from the cheapest station? Or do you not look at price, and only buy the 'best'?

What type of gas do you put in your car?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Casey's or CountryMark locally. BP when I'm traveling. Diesel from truck stops or co-ops (high volume = less water /algae). I've gotten bad gas/diesel from most every other station I've tried.

My wife and I actually do mileage tests when we get a new vehicle. We'll fill it up at different stations and see which one gives us the best mileage and least problems. Her Saturn in very sensitive to ethanol (hard starts, misses, and terrible mileage). Every time she puts gas in from Sams Club, I get to hear her complain about it for two weeks :rolleyes:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I get my diesel from Murphys, its usually a couple of cents cheaper, it's American and I've never gotten a bad tank.
    On the road I always buy at truck stops where they do a good volume of business as 6 birds said less water and algae.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Flying J or Mr. Fuel for diesel for the same reason as mentioned above. Gas for the wifes vehicle is purchased from whoever has it cheapest, which right now is Kroger (due to the loyalty card disc. when we buy groceries.)

7orelevn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Greenwood
    I always buy from Shell. I have used "cheaper" gas (i.e. Speedway), and the car ran awful. I guess I am a sucker, but that is my experience. I feel its worth it to pay the extra 2 cents per gallon.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    I try to stay away from the gas stations where you put gas in a gas can in the winter, and the next day when it is only 15 degrees or so you have a chunk of ice rattling in the can lol. Try to buy mostly at co-op ( country mark, energy 24)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As I understand it, most major brands in the Indianapolis area all get their gasoline from the same place: the Rock Island terminal up at 96th & Zionsville. That being said, the East side of Indy (on Shadeland) generally has cheaper gas than the NW side of Indy. The Flying J at Fairland Rd on I-74 usually runs somewhere in between the two of those. I try to buy gas from whomever is cheaper - and on my way.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    speedway gas in every car i have owened ran like junk. prem. in my bmw's thru the lights/codes. oddly enough i could run Meijers Mid grade in both of my bmw's with no problems at all.

i prefer meijers or swifty. usually run marathon though because its more convient... shell if in a pinch... bp all out last resort. (more of the oil spill then anything, they used to be my number 2 pick)

lowest grade i can get away with.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I usually use Shell because I have their credit card that gives a 5% discount.

In my 37 years of driving I can honestly say I have never had a car, truck or motorcycle that cared what kind of gas I put in it.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Like those above, BP and Shell only.

While most fuels may be blended at the same location,
    not all fuels are blended with the same components.

Fuel is like so many other consumables, you get what you pay for.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Kroger or Marathon. Or wherever I can make it to. I tend to run the gas low sometimes, only ran out once and that was due to a bad fuel sending unit, haven't run out since.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I usually go for the cheapest chain. i don't particularly trust the little mom+pop places cuz I got a tank from one of them that had to have been cut with a ton of ethanol. I usually get ~420 miles to a tank, and I got less than 360 on this gas. the national chains don't want to risk their reputation by cutting it with more than 15% (legal limit before its an "alternative fuel") and I've not had bad experiences with national chains.

any station with a sticker on the pump that says "this gas may contain up to 15% ethanol" gets a pass.

Top Bottom