Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    lol, you're not kidding about thinking slowing you down. I think my brain must be running a 486 processor with 256k ram. I have birthdays come and go during my OODA loop.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Accuracy wise, most of the people that think they are more accurate than their Glock are living in OZ.

But they will have fewer misses if they have accuracy work done to the Glock or pick another gun that shoots tighter groups. Means a lot in the speed shooting sports where the occasional miss (gun slop + shooter slop added together) carries a big penalty and the occasional tighter luck shot (gun slop + shooter slop less than shooter slop) does not get you anything. I think it also helps with shooter confidence, which is a big part of the bullets heading in the right direction.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you're going to a gun fight, you shouldn't be using a handgun at all. Bring a high-cap semi auto rifle or shotgun, body armor, and all of your well-armed friends.

Yeah, but are you going to have all that fancy-smancy stuff with you at Wal-Mart or at the movie theatre?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I found this picture of Gaston Glock posing with his granddaughter and Sarah Jessica Parker.....He seems like a nice guy....

GHPC_Familie_Glock_Jan_2013_05.jpg

But he isn't worthy of being even mentioned in the same breath as this guy....

tumblr_mett4aaJ1l1rdqdijo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    This thread is still going? I thought it would either end at "no" or "buy an HK."

Seriously though....buy an HK.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, but are you going to have all that fancy-smancy stuff with you at Wal-Mart or at the movie theatre?

1911's have been ending fights since 1911. :)
    Of course it pays to know how to run whatever you might have on you at "fight time," whether it's a Glock, 1911, knife or your hands... ;)

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

I think you're missing the point I was trying to make to the other poster. NONE of the guns we carry daily are the best tools for a gun fight, we simply carry them because they are the most convenient thing to have with us in case the unexpected happens. Debating ad-nauseam which handgun is best for gunfighting is kind of silly, because there are FAR better tools for actual gunfighting and there are many other important criteria to consider when discussing which gun to carry. I have three different carry guns (depending on the occasion), but none of those three is best pure gunfighting handgun because there are other considerations which trump that. Use the best tool for your particular situation, but I can promise you that the best pure gunfighting handgun will NOT be what you want to use for EDC.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I found this picture of Gaston Glock posing with his granddaughter and Sarah Jessica Parker.....He seems like a nice guy....

GHPC_Familie_Glock_Jan_2013_05.jpg

But he isn't worthy of being even mentioned in the same breath as this guy....

tumblr_mett4aaJ1l1rdqdijo1_500.jpg

Yeah, but did JMB's granddaughter look like that? And she's got a riding crop.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yeah, but did JMB's granddaughter look like that? And she's got a riding crop.

Being as how he was LDS...Yeah, I bet his granddaughter did look like that....:)

And he did it from here.....

3358183895_ba4eae550d_o.jpg

Comparing the two is like comparing a one hit wonder with the Rolling Stones....Just because you can dominate the top forty for a summer does not a genius make.....:)

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you're missing the point I was trying to make to the other poster. NONE of the guns we carry daily are the best tools for a gun fight, we simply carry them because they are the most convenient thing to have with us in case the unexpected happens. Debating ad-nauseam which handgun is best for gunfighting is kind of silly, because there are FAR better tools for actual gunfighting and there are many other important criteria to consider when discussing which gun to carry. I have three different carry guns (depending on the occasion), but none of those three is best pure gunfighting handgun because there are other considerations which trump that. Use the best tool for your particular situation, but I can promise you that the best pure gunfighting handgun will NOT be what you want to use for EDC.

The best tool for a gun fight is not to get into a gunfight. Short of that, being the most proficient under all circumstances with what you have will move the odds in your favor.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    There's not any semi-auto handgun that I've ever shot in the past 20 years that has been more reliable than a Glock.
    I've run tens of thousands of rounds through many many Glocks over the years and they all performed extremely well.
    The only issues I've ever encountered have been ammo related and that was solved by a simple tap-rack. Any gun can have bad ammo issues, so I don't even count that as an issue.

Back in the 90's I took a Gen 2 Glock 21 to a shooting school in Ohio for a weekend long training school.
    Before going I noticed half of the extractor claw was chipped off. I bought a spare extractor (which was only $3 I think) and took it with me just in case.
    I ran the gun all weekend and never had to change the extractor. I fired 3000+ rounds through it with out any cleaning or re-oiling. I think the gun was pretty dirty when I took it there too.
    I replaced the extractor after I got home when I cleaned the gun, but it ran flawless even with half the extractor claw missing.
    In total, I probably fired around 10,000 rounds out of that gun and never had a problem with reliability.

Say what you want about the way a Glock looks, but they rule the school when it comes to reliability especially the Gen 2 & Gen 3 guns.

If I were to chose the best 45acp 1911 for the money & great reliability, it would probably be the Ruger SR1911, the stainless S&W E-series 1911, or a Springfield.
    All are in the $700-ish range and have good track records.
    If you want to spend a little more, the Sig Sauer line of 1911's are a great value from $800+

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I would trade my POS Ruger 1911, and my super nice HK VP9 for a lightweight commander size 9mm "1911" if there is one that doesn't choke every few rounds. Probably even throw in my Glock 42.

Might want to check with Springfield Custom Shop. Link below should prove interest read. TLG's 9mm 1911 went on to run 25k plus rounds with 10 total stopages which is stellar by all accounts for ANY pistol. Granted this is a Custom gun but Green's experience as a NON-1911 trainer/shooter proved the platforms merit.

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » Springfield/Warren 9mm 1911 Endurance Test: Report #1

Top Bottom