Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would trade my POS Ruger 1911, and my super nice HK VP9 for a lightweight commander size 9mm "1911" if there is one that doesn't choke every few rounds. Probably even throw in my Glock 42.
    I like my Smith Performance Center. But like any lightweight, shorter gun it has its quirks. Without a doubt more magazine sensitive then an all steel 5" gun. The advantage of a Glock is they are fed from a standardized OEM magazine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently brought home an SR1911 commander. My SIL snatched it up on first site and gave me back "My" H&K USP for it.......:scratch:
    He had a few feed issues at 1st but I never did with it. He was puss-footing his grip. Once corrected it has been good.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am surprised about all the problems people seem to have with semi automatics. Or reloads. My stuff just plain runs. No magic, minimal cleaning and lubrication. The rounds I load are not much different than factory spec, except I keep tighter tolerance. I don't buy low end, but I am also not going to pay double the money for whatever the trendy, well advertized people are selling these days. The engineers usually do a pretty good job, unless they are hired to design it to be cheaper, not better. I have now handled 5 broken glocks. Slide rails broken out of the frames, a broken slide across the ejection port and a couple of .40 where the lower lugs fractured off the barrel. Big deal, lots of them out there, generally they are pretty dependable. Same with a couple 1911's, same several revolvers, a couple of Beretta locking blocks. A few springs or firing pins here and there. I cannot think of a pistol family that I have seen that didn't act up during an action pistol type match. Usually you can trace the problem to poor ammo, bad reloading, or whatever botched "upgrade" a rookie has installed himself without really knowing what he is doing.

Against what multiple people told me, my 1911 (9mm) range officer has never failed. Had a bad Springfield magazine, but the 10 round metal forms have never failed. My 1st bullseye .45 had been used in competition 20 + years when I bought it and I shot it another 20 and it was still running when I sold it. That pistol never lost me a single point, it always made a hole where I pointed it.

Maybe I have just been really lucky for 45 years.

Last edited:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    There's not any semi-auto handgun that I've ever shot in the past 20 years that has been more reliable than a Glock.

Since I have never even held one, I can truthfully say that all my 1911's have been more reliable than any Glock I've shot. ;)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    It's the shooter. I dumped 1911's and went 100% Glock (well almost 100%) because I can make hits with Glocks AND don't feel the need to baby them to keep them running reliably. If you want to make a 1911 reliable and keep it reliable, you will.

My 13 year old nephew had some good excuses on the clays this week. I just had to remind him he was full of ****, didn't know anything, and the problem was him. Later that day he smoked Gunnar/Gunter whatever his name was and everyone had Benelli or Beretta guns. Gunter was an accomplished shooter in his 50's. My nephew only had an hour or two under his belt with my instruction. Gunter talked some **** so I lit the kids fuse and he smoked Big G.

If you want to make hits with a 1911 and make it reliable, you go to a 1911 guy, not us Glock guys. If you want to carry in the mud I say Glock. I say that because I have never had the confidence in myself to be able to keep a 1911 running in those circumstances. Carrying in daily life that's not a real issue, your personal preferences are. I just said last night, like I have said for 19 years, I need at least one 1911. Some day.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I found this picture of Gaston Glock posing with his granddaughter and Sarah Jessica Parker.....He seems like a nice guy....

GHPC_Familie_Glock_Jan_2013_05.jpg

But he isn't worthy of being even mentioned in the same breath as this guy....

tumblr_mett4aaJ1l1rdqdijo1_500.jpg

that's his wife. :lol:

Top Bottom