• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    + 2 on a BCM Gunfighter grip. Replace the grip and you fill the gap under the trigger guard, get in-grip storage, and an improved grip angle, more conducive to modern carving techniques.

Replace the trigger guard, you get, well, just a trigger guard. Seems like you get more bang for the buck replacing the grip.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This was the killer app for me on regular aluminum milspec lowers. The little tab takes care of it. My KP15 has a molded-in trigger guard that is wider and doesn't load any particular spot on my finger too much.

Any of those thicker or polymer trigger guards that don't make the aluminum ears a load-bearing surface will fix it, too. It didn't really bother me shooting, but it does on reloads with ARs that are heavy with accessories and optics. I'd never notice it on a bare A1 or CAR-15.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    This was the killer app for me on regular aluminum milspec lowers. The little tab takes care of it. My KP15 has a molded-in trigger guard that is wider and doesn't load any particular spot on my finger too much.

Any of those thicker or polymer trigger guards that don't make the aluminum ears a load-bearing surface will fix it, too. It didn't really bother me shooting, but it does on reloads with ARs that are heavy with accessories and optics. I'd never notice it on a bare A1 or CAR-15.
    Glad to hear it, because I took others' recommendations and ordered this grip :thumbsup:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The long of the short of it is, that trigger guard was an Alaska feature. It was designed to open to admit a mitten covered hand.
    Not gloves.. mittens. (Remember that this is the 50s/60s when this thing was developed).

So the bottom is designed to flop open to admit a mitten covered hand.

Most replacement trigger guards won't even open like this. So if it is bugging you, I would in the future seek out an AR with an integral trigger guard. It also has the side effect of strengthening that part of the AR lower, not an issue for most people but when installing the older style trigger guard, it is possible to break the ears holding the older style.

So now you know the history, you can blame guys in Alaska with mittens for your discomfort.

Reactions: Leo

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Short of a lower with an integral trigger guard, I like the BCM or Magpul plastic trigger guards. They fill the gap between the ears and keep it from tearing up your finger.

For those who said to shoot more ...the problem isn't caused by shooting or recoil, it's the weight of the gun resting on the side of your middle finger when doing manipulation drills, or standing perimeter holding a doorway for hours. Those ears suck.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I always install a $9 Magpul MOE or similar trigger guard on my builds and have not had the issues the OP is describing. I did all through my time in the Military shooting them quite a bit. That's why I use the Magpul or similar because they fill the gap that the mil-spec one does not.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co

If you don't want to change parts out for any specific reason. This plugs the gap, and solves the issue directly.
    Have used this in the past when I was carrying an M4 daily and came here to say this. This will solve your problem without changing anything else. If you want to go with a different grip, I like many on here also enjoy the BCM gunfighter grips.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    That is hilarious because I have the same gun with a Magpul MOE pistol grip. Same issue - but I usually wear gloves when shooting now, and it helped a ton.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Yeah, turns out I wasn't much of a fan of the Magpul grip anyway. Switching to the new BCM gunfighter grip helped both with the exposed ears digging into my finger, and the general comfort of the grip. The shape of the BCM grip is a lot better for my hand.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I have this on one of mine. Integrated trigger guard.

Top Bottom