• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Okay. I'm confused. Just watched a show that was reviewing an AR pistol. When the host shot it, he shouldered it. I thought that was a no-no. I was informed that if you shouldered an AR pistol, it was then considered an SBR and was then considered illegal without proper stamps/paperwork/whatever. Was I misinformed or I misunderstood or did laws change?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I remember something about how you shoot is important. Maybe the buffer is seen as a stock if you use it as a stock.
    I found this tidbit about the Roni not needing a stamp anymore. Not sure if it's true. https://www.ammoland.com/2017/05/mi...conversion-kit-perfectly-legal/#axzz5YFQItGA0 Disclaimer- This is an article, not the ATF. Personally I still think you need a stamp for a Roni.

Oh snap. The article is about the Roni with a brace but the picture in the article is the Roni with the stock. Talk about misleading people.

Last edited:

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I remember something about how you shoot is important. Maybe the buffer is seen as a stock if you use it as a stock.
    I found this tidbit about the Roni not needing a stamp anymore. Not sure if it's true. https://www.ammoland.com/2017/05/mi...conversion-kit-perfectly-legal/#axzz5YFQItGA0 Disclaimer- This is an article, not the ATF. Personally I still think you need a stamp for a Roni.

Oh snap. The article is about the Roni with a brace but the picture in the article is the Roni with the stock. Talk about misleading people.
    Nice article. Thanks for the link.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I found it amusing that the ATF reversed their decision right after MAC said he was going to shoulder his braces on his YouTube channel. Not long after he said the hell with it the ATF said it was ok.

I like to think that an ATF official watched the video and saw how foolish their decision was and changed it, but we all know that didn't happen.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    And just like THAT, they can change their minds faster than a woman's hormone. :(

All my short guns have stocks with stamps. Money well spent for a solid investment.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Okay. I'm confused. Just watched a show that was reviewing an AR pistol. When the host shot it, he shouldered it. I thought that was a no-no. I was informed that if you shouldered an AR pistol, it was then considered an SBR and was then considered illegal without proper stamps/paperwork/whatever. Was I misinformed or I misunderstood or did laws change?

The "laws" didn't change, but the ATF's interpretation did. It's been fairly recently - maybe last year?

DoggyDaddy;7739536 is correct...the 'interpretation' by the ATf changed, not the law...whereby the ATf made an exception for the SIG Brace (specifically, not any others) in that if one shoulders the brace 'intermittently' (was the way it was best described to me) that it was not a legal violation of the Brace's use.
    IMO, though, I don't believe the exception is designed to allow 'regular and repeated' use of the Brace when held against one's shoulder...in the manner that an SRB is designed to be used.
    That being said...let's not get started on the regulations regarding an SRB if a 'Brace' is allowed to be used in a 'regular and repeated' manner when held against one's shoulder.

Kperkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2018
    Logansport
    All deals with intent. Intent is hard to prove unless you tell everyone to just shoulder it and make videos. This admin may be less willing to make a big deal about it but future ones may crack down on it. I’d rather not have anyone questioning how I shoot

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    All my short guns have stocks with stamps. Money well spent for a solid investment.

I followed that line of thought in the past. Then I started considering using my .300 BO with a can for deer hunting. Indiana will not allow a rifle with a short barrel, so I will have to put it on a pistol lower to be legal.

That started me thinking that I could just keep that upper on a pistol lower. I have a couple registered SBRs but I don't see the need to jump thru the hoops for future firearms that I don't have dedicated uses for.

Top Bottom