• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dnewton3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Indy area
    I realize that brand wars are boring, typically unsubstantiated, and irritating ... I am NOT trying to start one of those or be "that guy" ...

But I need some reliable input from those who have first hand experience with a couple of brands, please. I have the desire to get a lesser-expensive AR-15 for plinking and such for my son and I.

Two reasonably priced options are on the table: DPMS and CORE
    Both are entry-level rifles in their respective product lines (neither is a tactical, long-range, high end model. They are the basic entry level models). These can be immediately in my grasp and although other brands are out there, these are the ones I'm considering.

Can anyone give me some credible reason why I might choose or avoid one over another? I am not brand loyal, nor do I need this to be my SHTF rifle, as I have a few high-quality RRA and older Bushies for that. I just have been out of the AR market for some time now and lost track of what affordable brands are out there. These appeal to me based upon price. I realize the trigger is going to be "iffy" and the bolt's won't be chromed, etc. I'm just looking for any known reliability issues, etc.

If they are equals, that's OK too. At least I could negotiate based upon price if they are essentially equal-alternates.

Please put your flame-thrower on it's lowest setting and give me your insight. Those who own/use would be most preferred.

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Palmetto State Armory is a good brand. Their customer service lacks from what I hear, but everything else makes them a solid candidate.

Also, if you aren't inclined to buy right meow, wait for black Friday.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    What price range are you talking? I can't imagine buying one of those for much less than an S&W M&P15 sport or even a PSA.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    For around that price range, I'd be looking at PSA or Stag.

Or better yet, build one with your son.

dnewton3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Indy area
    About $630 out the door. The CORE even has a lifetime, any party full warranty. Hard to beat that, isn't it? Could I build one for that? Perhaps, but I'd not be saving much, plus the work, plus no warranty.

Of the two, DPMS or CORE, which is "better", or are they a wash overall ?

Show me a PSA or Stag for that price around here, and I would consider them, too.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You may be able to trade into this one:https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...shotguns/364663-palmetto-psa-ar15-extras.html
    If you do such things. Or are you wanting a new one?
    Here are some that have sold on here recently:https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-56-nato-1-7-midlength-a2-profile-pinned.html he has deleted the pics, but it was a nice rifle.
    and one more:https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-ar-15-16-1-7-chrome-mp-tested-not-fired.html a lot of these guys sell on armslist as well. So yes I know you don't have your 50 yet, but you can still look and check armslist for the same ads.
    I would consider the Smith & Wesson Sport, that is in the same price range.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My 300BLK SBR is a CORE15 upper. Good product support. The chamber was initially "tight" which is sometimes common on SS bbls as sometimes the surface finish can be tough to controol, but with a little polishing compound and a .410 bore brush I was able to polish it and fix the issue.

Gun shoots great and fit and finish of the upper have been in line with other "budget" AR builds.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I would look at PSA in that price range, maybe a S&W or even a Colt for an extra $150-200.

PSA 16" Stainless Mid-length 1/7 Freedom Carbine

^ that right there is a pretty good deal. Shipping to your local FFL + transfer fee. Those barrels shoot sub 3 MOA easy. Add a rear sight &/or optic and you are in the same $ ballpark with a better rifle IMO. Pretty much all my AR parts come from PSA now. Shipping has always been right at ~14 days. I've never had any trouble with anything so can't comment on their customer support.

disclaimer: I don't know a lot about the CORE. I've seen plenty of great & plenty of horror stories about the DPMS.

dnewton3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Indy area
    Last night I read an article in the recent G&A mag about the new "HardCore" CORE-15 rifle; a top-end product. They raved on it, but they also spent a little time discussing the overall work at CORE, and how many major parts are now made in-house for quality control, including the barrels, etc. While the "HardCore" rifle is way above my price point, it was an interesting read. As most of us know, forged uppers and lowers only have a few sources that nearly all manufacturers source from. According to the article, CORE 100% sorts all incoming forgings.

Of note, there was a paragraph tucked away deep in the article where the author walked with a factory armorer to a production rack and chose two entry-level CORE rifles at random and shot them. They both printed sub 1 MOA, five-shot groups! LucK? Maybe. But the article gave me confidence that the brand is well made and worthy of consideration.

Again, this isn't going to be a SHTF rifle; I have RRA for that. This is to be for plinking. As modular as this platform is, if I want to upgrade components some day in the future, it can be done.

The PSA items seem like a good deal, but after shipping and transfer costs, it's as much or more.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seems like you've made up your mind. Post some pics and let us know how you like it when you get it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have both and both are great! Both have great customer service.

I am an accuracy nerd. DPMS took my upper back on their dime tested with different weight bullets sent the upper and targets back. I was impressed and learned it was me and my ammo. I know hand load and the thing shoots one hole.

The Core I got on trade and it printed like crap. Core took it back on their dime. Got a call few days later confirming I had a bum barrel. They replaced it no charge. Rifle is perfect now and I couldn't be happier with it.

Overall I like the fit of the Core better (upper and lower tighter) and warranty is the best in the industry. That would make me lean a little more toward Core. If you dig the DPMS though grab it. You wont be disapointed with either.

Great thing about an AR is the fact you can change them around in the future. My Core is actually a 300 black now originally an M4.

Be safe and have fun! Enjoy your new AR

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ive built 3 AR's from Palmetto state, and they're all good quality. Shipping takes awhile, and there's not alot of communication, but they will get it done, and it will not cost alot. The standard mid length AR I built cost right at 500$ the other two have extras and cost more. They are all great shooters, and well worth your money.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    DSArms.

Have great products, and are almost always the cheapest. Ended up with $550 in my complete DSA rifle. Shipping, tax, transfers etc.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    PSA is a great option in the same price range. But of the 2 you mentioned I'd go with the dpms. I base this off one that my brother has. Its ran flawlessly the last couple years for him.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've not had any issues at all with the DPMS's I have.
    Granted, the triggers aren't the best out of the box, but those can be easily swapped at any time.

No experience with the Core brand.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    For your price range I would look at the M&P Sport. very good quality guns for the money. Personally I wouldn't touch a DPMS. Working at a gun store I've handled a lot of them and they all feel like they could fall apart at any minute. For around the same price, Smith uses good quality materials, everything is properly staked (unlike the DPMS) and the trigger is actually amazing for an out of the box budget rifle. In fact it's 10x better than my stock colt. The DPMS trigger is easily the worst I've ever felt. Save your dollars. Buy a Sport.

I have no personal experience with the core and don't know all that much about them.

Top Bottom