• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    I have an Stripped Lower that I'm wanting to build a into a pistol. My goal is to use a SIG brace but I have some long arms. I have looked at the KAK and Phase 5 already. Kind of pricey but will if it's the best option. My questions are:

1. What is the standard length of a pistol buffer tube (look but haven't found that info.)
    2. Some one I seen suggested to use a rife tube. But when I look a Brownells one of the comments said it would be illegal.
    3. Is there a length limit to a pistol tube?

Thanks for any info.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have an Stripped Lower that I'm wanting to build a into a pistol. My goal is to use a SIG brace but I have some long arms. I have looked at the KAK and Phase 5 already. Kind of pricey but will if it's the best option. My questions are:

1. What is the standard length of a pistol buffer tube (look but haven't found that info.)
    2. Some one I seen suggested to use a rife tube. But when I look a Brownells one of the comments said it would be illegal.
    3. Is there a length limit to a pistol tube?

Thanks for any info.
    There are extension adapters in a kit that KAK sells for their pistol tubes. You'll be all set. Or you could easily make tem yourself out of PVC metal pipe.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    There are extension adapters in a kit that KAK sells for their pistol tubes. You'll be all set. Or you could easily make tem yourself out of PVC metal pipe.

To clarify for the OP, the KAK "extension adapters" are spacers that fit between the stop collar machined into the tube, and the SIG brace itself. They allow the SIG brace to be moved back on the tube, but do not extend the length of the tube per se. With the spacers in place, the SIG brace will partially overhang the end of the tube and will lose some rigidity. Nice thing is you can try one or the other or both (they come in a set of 2 sizes), and if you don't like them you can take them off.

To address the OP's other questions:

1) there is no such thing as a "standard" pistol tube length. Some are extremely short and make use of specialized pistol buffers (thankfully, these have pretty much gone the way of the dodo) others are extremely long (KAK, MI, etc), most are in between.

2) I would not use a rifle buffer tube on a pistol, as it is obviously capable of accepting a stock and could/would therefore be construed as illegal. I would not use a standard carbine buffer tube for the same reason.

3) There is no max length for a pistol tube that I am aware of, but at some point the gun would exceed 26" OAL, and would then be considered a "firearm" rather than a "pistol".

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    3) There is no max length for a pistol tube that I am aware of, but at some point the gun would exceed 26" OAL, and would then be considered a "firearm" rather than a "pistol".

To further this, my understanding that the only reason this would matter in Indiana is that over 26" OAL you can add a VFG without it becoming an AOW, and therefor staying legal without a tax stamp. Some states have funky laws for pistols and when/where they can be loaded, but Indiana isn't one of those.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Odin works also has a good with with an adjustable collar.

I dont think there's a limit to the length, it's rather a question of style/type. I am not a layer IANAL.

Top Bottom