• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I personally enjoy how people hold Colt ARs on such a high level. Shot one and handled one myself. Good AR but wasn't that great, so I sold it. I personally own a Stag and Rock River. Just as good as the Colt. I think people are just trying to convince themselves that by spending an extra couple of Benjamins was worth it when in all reality it really wasn't. If your AR suits your personal needs, then so be it. And if I really was needing to have a rifle to defend myself it wouldn't be any of my ARs! It would be my SIG 556 which beats the pants off the AR :)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i actually think there are more people who claim that Colt guys think their guns are better than there are colt guys who think their guns are better. lolz

having been on ARF.com for 2 years, the only thing Colt guys seem to think is that fit & finish is secondary to the function of a fighting rifle. Paul (BCM owner) has said that if you want a pretty rifle, to look elsewhere. I see both sides of that coin to be honest.

When people post "what AR to buy?", people recommend the Colt 6920 for a few reasons.

1) it is mil-spec minus the 16 in barrel and FCG. otherwise it is an M4 Carbine.
    2) Colts hold their value
    3) combined with the above, if the buyer doesn't like the platform, he/she can get most/all of their money back when they sell it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I personally enjoy how people hold Colt ARs on such a high level. Shot one and handled one myself. Good AR but wasn't that great, so I sold it. I personally own a Stag and Rock River. Just as good as the Colt. I think people are just trying to convince themselves that by spending an extra couple of Benjamins was worth it when in all reality it really wasn't. If your AR suits your personal needs, then so be it. And if I really was needing to have a rifle to defend myself it wouldn't be any of my ARs! It would be my SIG 556 which beats the pants off the AR :)

I personally enjoy listening to persons bragging about how their XYZ lower Tier AR is better than those from the higher Tiers... :popcorn:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    All I know is this: My Smith AR shoot great! It shoots as good as a Colt AR-15 I owned about 12 years ago. If only I had enough money to shoot it every weekend!:ar15:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own a mid 80's Colt AR15A2. 1X7 chrome barrel 20 inch. Mil-spec.

I also own a mid 90's Colt AR15A2 1X9 chrome barrel 20 inch. Mil-spec?

I also own Bushy, RRA, and Armalite uppers and lowers with bolt carrriers made by somebody? The staking all looks the same to me as my Colts.

Plating the bolt carrier does nothing. You do realize that it rides on small rails on the top and bottom of the bolt carrier? That the rest of the carrier does not touch anything?

MPI is probably a good thing, can't hurt. But the bolt carrier is actually a low stress part, compared to the bolt. And anybody that spends any time at all doing a MPI on a carrier is totally wasting their time. I sure wouldn't pay extra for it if they claim that they do it.

I have seen bolt lugs snap off on all kinds of AR's. That is why having a spare bolt or two is a good thing to have around. I have never seen a carrier fail.

And since I don't have anything full auto and I am not likely to be engaged in the jungles of the RVN, I really don't care about chromed barrels.

M4 feed grooves? The M4 is on its way out except for special uses. The Army is looking for a replacement for the M4.

It makes you guys feel good to buy the "premium" AR, I won't try to stop you. I don't care.

Just don't try to make me believe that other rifles are inferior or that Mil-spec is some high standard.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm new to the AR game and got a RRA LAR15. Heck, until the other day, I thought RRA was a top tier AR. :rolleyes:

I love my RRA but I'm a newbie so I'm impressed with it and I've fed all kinds of different ammos down the pipe and haven't had any ftf and they still hit the paper.

I don't get too concerned about the brand, just the bang. :ar15:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Well now, he didn't even mention Armalite. My two AR15s are Armalite - I guess he would put them under standard grade but Armalite is well known enough to at least get a mention, hmph.

He could've probably mentioned 50 different brands. Why would he mention they one brand that's actually the name sake for the AR-15 (Armalite Rifle-15)?;)

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I'm new to the AR game and got a RRA LAR15. Heck, until the other day, I thought RRA was a top tier AR. :rolleyes:

I love my RRA but I'm a newbie so I'm impressed with it and I've fed all kinds of different ammos down the pipe and haven't had any ftf and they still hit the paper.

I don't get too concerned about the brand, just the bang. :ar15:

Rock River has a contract with the DEA. They must be doing something right. Don't fret Rock Rivers are just fine:D

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I own a mid 80's Colt AR15A2. 1X7 chrome barrel 20 inch. Mil-spec.

I also own a mid 90's Colt AR15A2 1X9 chrome barrel 20 inch. Mil-spec?

Nope made purely for the commercial market for folks that have erroneously been led to believe that 1:9 is the MilSpec. I've actually had and argument with a gunshow vendor over this.

I also own Bushy, RRA, and Armalite uppers and lowers with bolt carrriers made by somebody? The staking all looks the same to me as my Colts.

Look real close, those little staking marks aren't actually mashed into the bolt heads, which is the purpose of staking them in the first place. Easily rectified with a center punch and hammer.

Plating the bolt carrier does nothing. You do realize that it rides on small rails on the top and bottom of the bolt carrier? That the rest of the carrier does not touch anything?

The outside of the bolt carrier isn't plated per the spec, the inside where the bolt rides IS.

MPI is probably a good thing, can't hurt. But the bolt carrier is actually a low stress part, compared to the bolt. And anybody that spends any time at all doing a MPI on a carrier is totally wasting their time. I sure wouldn't pay extra for it if they claim that they do it.

If the .gov took the time to specify that the carrier be MPIed then there is probably a good reason for it. And the bolt has to be MPIed. Both are also supposed to be made from 158 Carpenter steel.

I have seen bolt lugs snap off on all kinds of AR's. That is why having a spare bolt or two is a good thing to have around. I have never seen a carrier fail.

Yeah the RRA that I built had the little bolt cam pin that was quite sickly looking. Nice QA there.

And since I don't have anything full auto and I am not likely to be engaged in the jungles of the RVN, I really don't care about chromed barrels.

Easier to clean and extends barrel life.

M4 feed grooves? The M4 is on its way out except for special uses. The Army is looking for a replacement for the M4.

Been saying that for at least a decade now and nothing new on the horizon. The M4 will be around for at least another decade. I guess just about every Tom, Dick and Harriet in the Army carrying one makes it special use.

It makes you guys feel good to buy the "premium" AR, I won't try to stop you. I don't care.

Premium retains better value, everything else not so much.

Just don't try to make me believe that other rifles are inferior or that Mil-spec is some high standard.

You are right, the MilSpec is not a high standard and most makers don't even meat that bottom line. If they are scimping on some of the easier parts of that spec, IE carrier and RE tube staking, what else are they cutting corners on?

...?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I personally enjoy listening to persons bragging about how their XYZ lower Tier AR is better than those from the higher Tiers... :popcorn:

^^This^^. I really get a laugh out of it most times. I own a $1600 LMT (of course I work in the industry so I didn't pay that) and I own a Spikes and a Bushy and I just picked up a Tactical Innovations lower for my next build. My Spikes is a build. I'd be willing to bet I could shoot just as well with one or all of my rifles as I could with someone's BCM or Noveski.

For what 99.9% of what most of us will use these rifles for (zombies, SHTF, go to, home defense...Etc) any of these will be more then sufficient and then some. If my life depended on it, I'd shoot a CMMG, Superior, RRA, BCM, DD, whatever acronym I had handy. They'll all go boom more then likely and you'll hit your target unless your shooting 800yds out and you're not doped right.

All this Tier crap is laughable, it's 99% cosmetic and marketing. That's it. Now had I actually had to pay the $1600 for my LMT, I'd be looking for reason to say it was better then your $899 RRA arms also. Price is not validation of quality, nor does it mean the more expensive rifle makes you a better shooter. I'll take that $500 PSA up against most BCMs today and if I'm the better shooter I win. End of story.

Top Bottom