• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find a thread on it...

I need a serviceable AR 15 build tool kit. I don't need the best one on the market, but I do want one that I won't have to buy twice.

Who makes a good one for a good price?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A barrel combo wrench, a couple of 1/16th inch punches and a light hammer. Oh, and a screwdriver for the grip/stock screws. Vice blocks are nice, but I whittled mine from scrap lumber and window shims.

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I've been thinking I may need to buy each piece individually. Who makes a good barrel wrench? I figure the rest is hard to mess up, but the barrel wrench needs to be at least decent in quality.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownells makes one that cost around $300. It has some really good tools in it but, much of the stuff you don't need or I should say I would never use.

A lot of the tools that are used are a matter of what you like or have used in the past. For example most people like the clam shell vice block and it works well for most uppers. Then if you go to build a side charger it will not work. You will have to use the type that uses the pins. It's called a upper receiver vise block. It will work on any upper. As for the barrel wrench goes I like the single purpose wrench. With some of the hand guards you will have to have a good strap wrench.

Roll pin starter punches are great. They only go for around $30 for a set and they are worth every penny of it. They make installing roll pins very easy. You will also need a good set of punches and roll pen punches.

A small hammer made of brass or one that has the different heads is good. It can keep you from marring a finish.

For the most part that is about it for tools that are needed to build a flat top upper. There are all sorts of tools that are made to do one thing or the other that I don't see as being needed. You on the other hand may think you need them.

Where to pick up the tools? Just about any place that sells stuff for a ARs sells the tools. I got most of mine from Midway, Midsouth and Brownells.

Some of the tools that you will need such as small needle nose pliers, screwdrivers and such if you tinker with stuff you already have them.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I picked up a Model 1 Sales clamshell vise block 3 pc kit on sale for like 20$ a few years ago. Keep your eyes open for sales! While I like the clamshell, I REALLY like my knock-off reaction rod for barrel work. The clamshell can be rough on uppers, especially that are painted. I really like having both options.
    As far as a combo wrench, don't cheap out. I did and mine was SLIGHTLY out of spec. I had to grind on it to make it fit most barrel nuts. Eventually it started to work poorly so I bought a dedicated barrel wrench and I like it much better. Had I bought a better combo wrench I'd probably be singing a different tune... The other tools I use are just tings I have laying around.
    Biggest advice is shop around and look for sales.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Something to support the ears on the trigger guard is nice. I've done it with a block of wood, but a third hand is often nice for holding things in place. They make bench blocks that help in this effort. Little crow gunworks makes a little press they call a roll pin pusher. It's pricey and could be made with a little ingenuity, though I went ahead and bought one. I really like having a controlled method for pressing that pin in or out, instead of using a hammer and punch. YMMV.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    If you get harbor freight coupons, keep an eye out for an arbor press. I picked one up a while back and its made a lot of things much easier. I picked up mine for installing some locking shoulders on some FALs, but I use it all the time. I wanted more "feel" than my hydraulic press. A block of wood and an arbor press would probably make the trigger guard pin on an AR pretty easy.

Top Bottom