• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Mostly what I look for (and find) are benthic macroinvertebrates and freshwater mussels. Mostly for work. Indiana rules say if you accidentally pick up a freshwater mussel (many are endangered), you have to put it back exactly where it came from, in the exact same orientation. And don't ever get caught with any shells.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mostly what I look for (and find) are benthic macroinvertebrates and freshwater mussels. Mostly for work. Indiana rules say if you accidentally pick up a freshwater mussel (many are endangered), you have to put it back exactly where it came from, in the exact same orientation. And don't ever get caught with any shells.
    Man, that brings back memories. My family had a travel trailer at a campground up by Elwood back in the 80s, and our spot was RIGHT on the banks of Pipe Creek. The sandbars were littered with mussel shells and I'd find mussels all the time. Now you barely see any shells.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I had done a growth/reproduction study of freshwater mussels for DNR back in the mid 90s, with a partner. I found a freshly dead Fan Shell and a freshly dead Rabbit's Foot in the Tippecanoe. If I remember, the Fan Shell was Federally endangered at the time and the Rabbit's Foot was State endangered. Both are in the State Museum. Pretty sure that was my last paid Biology gig.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Then what do you do with the shells after you eat the mussels?

Top Bottom