Anyone live in Wayne Township, Noblesville?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would think it would depend on if you are considered inside the city limits or not. I'm in wayne, but also in the city limits I believe. And Noblesville keeps expanding their city limits. might be best to go to the court house and see if you can get an accurate/current map.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I would think it would depend on if you are considered inside the city limits or not. I'm in wayne, but also in the city limits I believe. And Noblesville keeps expanding their city limits. might be best to go to the court house and see if you can get an accurate/current map.

Seriously? I thought the city limits were Noblesville township. The Hamilton County Fish and Game shooting range is on the border between the two townships, but maybe they were grandfathered in.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Discharge of a firearm is prohibited (except for self-defense) within Noblesville city limits.

§ 131.01 DISCHARGE OF DANGEROUS PROJECTILES PROHIBITED; DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS.

(A) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall discharge within the limits of the city any dangerous projectile. Dangerous projectiles such as prohibited by this section shall include, but shall not be limited to, projectiles discharged by air (including air pistols and rifles); by gas (including pellets); by powder (including all firearms); or projectiles propelled by other mechanical means. (Ord. 775, passed 4-27-59)

(B) (1) Discharge of firearms within the Noblesville city limits will be permitted on property meeting the following geographic standards:

(a) Bound by Interstate-69, Olio Road, East 146th Street, and Atlantic Road;

(b) Parcels of five acres or more in area.

(2) The following restrictions are placed on the properties meeting the conditions set forth in division (B)(1) above:

(a) No discharge of firearms within 500 feet of a property line;

(b) Discharge of firearms limited to hunting and protection of farm animals with no target practice or sport shooting allowed;

(c) Discharge of high-powered rifles are not permitted in any circumstance;

(d) Individuals are responsible for line-of-fire.

(3) Any officer of the Police Department and any other duly authorized state or county law enforcement officer shall enforce this section.

(4) Absent any legislative action to the contrary, this division (B) shall expire ten years after its adoption.

(Ord. 2-1-05, passed 2-14-05) Penalty, see § 131.99

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Thanks for your help so far guys. I've called the planning commission, but of course they guy they redirected me to didn't answer the phone.

I live in city limits now, but am looking to move further East. I think I've found the perfect spot finally. It is actually on the East side of Wayne Township, near Lapelle, so unless Noblesville considers all of Wayne Township inside its city limits, it should be free and clear. It definitely is rural there, surrounded by nothing but farms.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Seriously? I thought the city limits were Noblesville township. The Hamilton County Fish and Game shooting range is on the border between the two townships, but maybe they were grandfathered in.

Nope, I live in Noblesville Twp but NOT in Noblesville city limits. There are a few islands of non-Noblesville left in Noblesville Twp.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I got this map from Noblesville Planning. It clearly shows that the Wayne Township is well outside city limits, except down by 146th St.

www.cityofnoblesville.org/egov/docs/1363622937_730712.pdf

So then, that means the ordinance that Scutter01 posted does not apply to me, whatsoever, correct? And apparently item B on it gives those in Wayne Township near 146th Street the ability to shoot, just not to target shoot.

So since that doesn't apply to me...I am maybe going to be able to target shoot in me own yard! :) Still need to see the Wayne ordinance on paper before I believe it, though I am getting excited.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    yeah Noblesvie and Noblesville twp are not the same. We the NFD run into this all time when it comes to outside burning. Twp residents can burn brush piles and such but city residents may not. The nearest firestation will also have a current map showing what is city and what is twp.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Good info people. Like I said, I am definitely talking outside city limits. Definitely in the township. I was thinking then that the township would have its own ordinances, but no. Apparently, outside of city limits everything falls back to Hamilton County code. So I called their planning department and was told there is are no ordinances about shooting--it is all the shooters liability. So it looks like I am free and clear!

Now the only problem is that the seller of the property renigged on our offer, and is trying to start a bidding war. I thought I was home free, and had finally found my freedom. Maybe he is just being a shrewd salesman, but I am going to be very upset if I loose this home. You have no idea how hard it was to find a home that my wife liked that is in the country (she prefers neighborhoods, ugh).

Top Bottom