• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Nice. Well, I may find my way out there tomorrow... hopefully word hasn't spread too far just yet and it won't be too packed. :)

If my INGO shirt is clean, I'll be the dude wearing that with black rim glasses. Shooting an AR, probably poorly because it's a new build and I need to get it sighted in as well as some pistols. Feel free to say hi.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Just got back from Crosley.

The good news is, the range is nice. Was never in bad shape really to begin with, but the berms are massive now, like twice as high. Bad news is, the 200 yard range is closed for seemingly no reason.

Looks like they dug a ditch off to the left of the drive leading to the range, which narrowed the lane and just re-did the berms/backstops. Replaced the old railroad ties with new lumber. Looks nice. Photos soon.

Ran into an INGO member out there too. He noticed the INGO dust cover on my AR and inquired. I forget his name, "66 something or another" or 1966 something. I remember the "66" part. Nice guy.

Also, NO ONE WAS THERE. When I first arrived, there were people at the 35, 50, and 100yd range but after about 30 minutes, most left. Most of the time it was just myself, my buddy and the other guy who was the INGO member plinking on the long ranges. A few people arrived just to look at the range and leave, they didn't bring guns and seemed more curious than anything. So, go now before people realize Crosley has re-opened. It was a Saturday and normally it's packed and not enjoyable on a Saturday. Go before people realize it's back open. :)

Also new: DNR guy sits in truck and watches you. I've never once seen DNR do anything more than drive into the lot, and turn around and drive back out. This guy sat in his truck and was there the entire time I was, and I was there for 3 hours or so. What a rad gig, I want that job...

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    For those curious, here is an example of the improvements made. Pictured is myself shooting at the 100 yard range.

If you've been to Crosley in the past, you'll note that they've added gravel and made the berms massive. They also have new target stands at the end, or rather a wire running across where you can hang targets on. Not a bad setup.

DEGwZ6D.jpg

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just got back from Crosley.

The good news is, the range is nice. Was never in bad shape really to begin with, but the berms are massive now, like twice as high. Bad news is, the 200 yard range is closed for seemingly no reason.

Looks like they dug a ditch off to the left of the drive leading to the range, which narrowed the lane and just re-did the berms/backstops. Replaced the old railroad ties with new lumber. Looks nice. Photos soon.

Ran into an INGO member out there too. He noticed the INGO dust cover on my AR and inquired. I forget his name, "66 something or another" or 1966 something. I remember the "66" part. Nice guy.

Also, NO ONE WAS THERE. When I first arrived, there were people at the 35, 50, and 100yd range but after about 30 minutes, most left. Most of the time it was just myself, my buddy and the other guy who was the INGO member plinking on the long ranges. A few people arrived just to look at the range and leave, they didn't bring guns and seemed more curious than anything. So, go now before people realize Crosley has re-opened. It was a Saturday and normally it's packed and not enjoyable on a Saturday. Go before people realize it's back open. :)

Also new: DNR guy sits in truck and watches you. I've never once seen DNR do anything more than drive into the lot, and turn around and drive back out. This guy sat in his truck and was there the entire time I was, and I was there for 3 hours or so. What a rad gig, I want that job...

Lebowski, I have never been to Crosley, but sounds nice. I go to Winamac as it is closer for me. You ever shot at the Winamac range? Awesome place. Anyway, the DNR guys actually have a mini-barn on the range with a big picture window in the side of it that allows them to watch the ranges. It has heat and A/C but is just basic in design.So instead of a truck they sit in it and watch pretty much all the time except when they go to the trap range to check on it. There are also restrooms at Winamac. Does Crosley offer that? Just curious?

fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    Hopefully we can get some clarification on a few things....no shotguns? Does this mean they did away with the old skeet shooting area, or no shotguns period? If no shotguns period, that's kinda crappy. Are the ranges the same as they were only improved...last time I was there they had recently built the "pistol" range which was 15 yards I believe...then it went to 30,50,100, 200 the weekend before they closed up shop... The change in hours and being staffed is to me a bit concerning, I understand safety concerns, as I am well aware of some of the riff raff that goes on down there, but I grew up, and still do...loved being able to shoot there and nobody get in my business unless I asked them to....during the posted hours 7 days a week, year round... We had a code of conduct, ask to shoot with someone that's already there and set up, ask if they're ready with safety gear on....then take turns walking to the targets depending on who is finished first...leaving your extra targets for the next guy, and also the thumb tacks. If someone is unsafe, mention it or leave...most people are polite, and get the hint when you're upset at a range. I guess I'm just a little bit paranoid of change, when it comes to a special place I've loved since old enough to go with my late Father shooting....I hoped it'd be the same experience for my youngsters, a place to make special memories that last forever...

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Lebowski, I have never been to Crosley, but sounds nice. I go to Winamac as it is closer for me. You ever shot at the Winamac range? Awesome place. Anyway, the DNR guys actually have a mini-barn on the range with a big picture window in the side of it that allows them to watch the ranges. It has heat and A/C but is just basic in design.So instead of a truck they sit in it and watch pretty much all the time except when they go to the trap range to check on it. There are also restrooms at Winamac. Does Crosley offer that? Just curious?

Never been to Winamac. Is DNR a common site at ranges on state land? I've never really seen it before, but granted I've only been to Crosley maybe a dozen times before this and haven't really been to any other proper range. And yes, there are rest rooms onsite, bordering the parking lot. Unsure how clean or nice they are, though I'd imagine they're more or less like the type of restrooms you'd find at a normal park... which would be poorly lit, not air conditioned, and probably best used for number 1. :)

Thanks for the Range Report, so to speak!

NP. I'm really sort of kicking myself for not taking more pictures there. All the berms are massive now. All the lanes have gravel as well. They also now have 'target stands', or rather two posts with a line between them that is used to hang cardboard off of to tack targets to. Unsure if that is provided by DNR or not, I always bring my own boxes and check first before hauling them out.

Thanks for scouting it out for us Lebowski!

No problem. I plan on spending more time there before it gets cold this year.

Looks nice from the picture Lebowski.Hopefully with DNR there people will learn pick up after themselves!

I've never seen too much trash there in the past, just casings. I don't reload but I pick up all my casings anyhow as I may reload... someday. So I just keep them in bags separated by caliber. I

Hopefully we can get some clarification on a few things....no shotguns? Does this mean they did away with the old skeet shooting area, or no shotguns period? If no shotguns period, that's kinda crappy. Are the ranges the same as they were only improved...last time I was there they had recently built the "pistol" range which was 15 yards I believe...then it went to 30,50,100, 200 the weekend before they closed up shop... The change in hours and being staffed is to me a bit concerning, I understand safety concerns, as I am well aware of some of the riff raff that goes on down there, but I grew up, and still do...loved being able to shoot there and nobody get in my business unless I asked them to....during the posted hours 7 days a week, year round... We had a code of conduct, ask to shoot with someone that's already there and set up, ask if they're ready with safety gear on....then take turns walking to the targets depending on who is finished first...leaving your extra targets for the next guy, and also the thumb tacks. If someone is unsafe, mention it or leave...most people are polite, and get the hint when you're upset at a range. I guess I'm just a little bit paranoid of change, when it comes to a special place I've loved since old enough to go with my late Father shooting....I hoped it'd be the same experience for my youngsters, a place to make special memories that last forever...

I really don't know about the shotguns. I don't think there was every a real 'skeet shooting area', rather just an area people did it anyway. I've never looked at that area behind the bathrooms but I know that is where most of it was done when I've seen it in the past. I probably could have asked the DNR guy what was up with shotguns, but didn't. Also not certain about the hour changes, the sign when you enter the drive to the range that normally had the seasonal hours was removed and I didn't see or notice any sign in the parking lot of at the sign in station with new hours. I didn't really look, I was just eager to go shoot again for the first time in months.

Good code of conduct there. I'm trying to get my buddy to follow the same... I only leave cardboard behind if there was no cardboard when I got there and/or if it's still in good shape. Otherwise I'll just fold it up and toss it in the bin. Same thing with targets. I did leave a couple "sure shot" targets behind, but that was only because I had placed 3 or 4 on a piece of cardboard on the wire when sighting in my AR. Since I was hitting the target I was trying to hit (most the time), I left behind the others for the next guy to enjoy. (I also remove the thumbtack but keep it in the cardboard because I've been to the range with no tacks in the past and had to use shards of wood to stab through cardboard to hold targets in place...)

I usually see a family or two out there when I go and it's nice. I wish those who were anti-gun or afraid of them saw that it's a nice family event too. Last year I shared a lane with what I believe was a grandfather, father, and grand children. Was pretty neat. I was packing up as they came in but it was nice to see a family like that hang out.

Any reason the 200 yard range is closed or if they are going to reopen it?

No idea. The INGO member that was there (whose name I forgot) said the only reason he could think that it may had been closed was because they didn't have the target thing setup at the end. The two posts with the wire between it to hang a target on. Other than that, it looked as finished as all the other ones. <shrugs>

fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    There used to be a skeet shooting area on the other side of the bathroom....complete with a concrete "bunker" to set up the thrower from. That was filled in during the last renovation, when they built the short pistol range, and only left the concrete slab. There used to be piles of shotgun shells around there...hopefully that's what they meant meaning no more shotgun range. I used the regular ranges to test certain shells and their patterns and how certain slugs performed out of different shotguns.
    I've yet to see how my new shotgun performs for this year's squirrel season...and if it throws a deer slug well or not.:cool:

fatmatt1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    North Vernon
    Stopped by and checked out the range...its not too bad at all! Spoke to the dnr guy..the skeet shotgun range is now closed, and shooting shotguns is limited to slugs. This is because the NRA helped fund the project, but the range had to be up to their. "specs". The 200yd range is not finished yet...waiting to install some drainage pipes etc so the new backstop wont washout. To hang targets...yep a wire stretched across..ppl just folded over their cardboard...i was thinkin closepins lol...new heavy gravel everywhere so hopefully less muddy days. Extremely clean everywhete for now...the project musta been somewhat close to done for a good while...theres thick grass already on the fresh dirt works.all in all it seemed like a great place to shoot as usual.....

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Has anyone been there more recently? I may go tomorrow, so curious if it's going to be packed or not.

It was wonderful to go 2 weeks ago when no one was there. I figured most just didn't realize it re-opened. I'm sure word has spread far and wide now that it's open again... so I figure it may be packed.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We were there today. Arrived about 11:00 intending to shoot both 50 and 100 yards. We had to wait around 30-45 minutes before we got a spot at the 100 where we shot for about 2 hours. Shared the line with a father, son, and two grand kids who were great people. The 200 is still not completed and it sounds like it may be a while. New gravel walkways to the target line have fixed the mud issues. We plan on going much earlier next time.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    We were there today. Arrived about 11:00 intending to shoot both 50 and 100 yards. We had to wait around 30-45 minutes before we got a spot at the 100 where we shot for about 2 hours. Shared the line with a father, son, and two grand kids who were great people. The 200 is still not completed and it sounds like it may be a while. New gravel walkways to the target line have fixed the mud issues. We plan on going much earlier next time.

Darn... I'm planning on going tomorrow but may hold off now.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Went to Crosley... was WAY too packed. Left. Bummer.

I guess it's time I look at joining the Switzerland County Sportsman Club. Anyone reading this a member? How's the range?

I just want some place clean and safe to go shoot.

Speedway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Crosley Shooting Range Has been open for a while now. They have changed their hours to 10:00 to 17:00 Wed - Sun. They now have a DNR employee there during the open hours.
    I am not real happy with the new hours, but it is a lot safer. I never had a problem there, but I usually went on Monday mornings. I guess they had problems with people ripping of guns when shooters were away from the shooting stands.
    I really like the layout of this range and the improvements they over the winter, but it does get crowded.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Crosley Shooting Range Has been open for a while now. They have changed their hours to 10:00 to 17:00 Wed - Sun. They now have a DNR employee there during the open hours.
    I am not real happy with the new hours, but it is a lot safer. I never had a problem there, but I usually went on Monday mornings. I guess they had problems with people ripping of guns when shooters were away from the shooting stands.
    I really like the layout of this range and the improvements they over the winter, but it does get crowded.

Is it open during the winter months? May have to try it if it stays in the 40s like it has been.

Top Bottom