• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I heard they were closed a while back, checking their site today with hopes it'd be re-opened it still shows: "Please Note: The target range at Crosley FWA is temporarily closed until further notice. Thanks."
    DNR: Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area

So, does anyone know what they're doing or when it will re-open? Was hoping to go there this or next weekend to sight in my AR. Unfortunately it's the closest range to me and while shooting cans off logs in the woods can be fun, I'd prefer a proper range where I can shoot for several hours without fear of disturbing others.

Long Rider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    Franklin
    When I called them a couple of weeks ago they said they hoped to open by the end of the month, but it was delayed because of weather. Intend to call them mid May.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Awesome, thanks!

Anyone know what they're actually doing out there? I've not really been to any other proper range, but I always thought Crosley was in decent shape when I went. I only used the 25 yard range, though. Haven't used the longer ones.

BrentTheBoat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Columbus
    Was there buying boat launch sticker's on Tuesday and asked about the range. They are working on the bullet traps and the perimeter area the lady said. She said it should be done in May.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    That's where my FIL and I like to go. LOTS of Bubba hits on the frames, and lots of trash. Apparently I'm pretty lucky, because I don't find it too difficult to pick up my casings and target trash ( and a little extra ) and dispose of it. I like Crosley, I just wish it's more regular users valued it, too.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    That's where my FIL and I like to go. LOTS of Bubba hits on the frames, and lots of trash. Apparently I'm pretty lucky, because I don't find it too difficult to pick up my casings and target trash ( and a little extra ) and dispose of it. I like Crosley, I just wish it's more regular users valued it, too.

I've never found it to be trashy, but I only use the first two ranges. Will use the others now that I have a proper rifle.

I always pick up my casings, and the only time I leave cardboard behind is if I brought extra and it doesn't have holes in it. I started doing that because a while back I went, got to the range, realized we (buddy and I) had forgotten the damn cardboard at home and wasn't for sure how we'd hang our targets.... and sure enough, inside the range folded nicely by the bench was 3 or 4 large pieces (4X6 or so) of cardboard someone else had left. I'm unsure if it was intentionally left, but it seemed like a nice thing to have there and allowed us to put our targets on something. So now if I have extra left over and in good condition, I like to return the favor and leave them by the bench for someone else to use. Unsure if that is good range etiquette or intentional littering, though my intentions are good.

Anyhow, still closed. My birthday is next weekend and I'd love to be able to go out there and shoot some guns... We'll see.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Crosley is a first rate Fish & Wildlife Area and the staff is first rate too. Stop by or phone them with a question and they are glad to help. Range is small at just four distances. Usually used week days and I just pick up after myself and enjoyed the entire day sometimes. It's a little out of the way though and I am glad for that! LOL enjoy it while you can.

DeanMG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Whiteland
    I called them this morning and they told me that they would not be able to give a date for re-open until sometime in June. He said that they were having to tear a lot out because there was a lot of damage they found as they were working on it.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I called them this morning and they told me that they would not be able to give a date for re-open until sometime in June. He said that they were having to tear a lot out because there was a lot of damage they found as they were working on it.

Seems to be that way, seeing as it's still closed. :(

Oh well, while I'm saddened I have nowhere to really properly and safely shoot for an extended period of time yet this year I do look forward to it's re-opening. I guess it may be worth looking at joining the sportsmans club in Switzerland county or something in the mean time. Or befriend some people who live out in the country :P

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    One of my coworkers lives there and informed me that, as of right now, it will be opening back up in August.... but we shall see if that is the case.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Seems to be that way, seeing as it's still closed. :(

Oh well, while I'm saddened I have nowhere to really properly and safely shoot for an extended period of time yet this year I do look forward to it's re-opening. I guess it may be worth looking at joining the sportsmans club in Switzerland county or something in the mean time. Or befriend some people who live out in the country :P

Both are good options, love the sportsmans club. It's great for all types of shooting! I shoot in my backyard too but nothing too crazy, mainly pistols. :)

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Well, was hoping it'd be open this weekend but I gotta take the car to the shop... not a big deal, range still closed. I can shoot at a buddy's place, but I'm not a real big fan of it there. It's out of the city limits and but shooting cans off of logs in the woods is only fun for a while. Looking forward to setting up targets at a consistent distance, sighting in the AR properly that I built months ago and doing proper target shooting.

Maybe next weekend. Or maybe I'll just get my car fixed and take a drive down to Switzerland County.

Sucks living in city limits. Part of me wants to sound proof my basement and make a makeshift range down there.... but I realize that's a bad idea. :)

Top Bottom