• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The .260 Remington is almost the same round. When I bought my 6.5x55 20 plus years ago, I did a lot of reseach. Excellent round. A lot of guys won a lot of compititions with them at one time. Same as most said. Good long range gun with low recoil. It has to do with the ballistic coeffecient. Can't even spell it right so no need to try and explain. Mine was made in 1942 and looks like new. When I used to shoot it, I was amazed at it's accuracy. I impressed a lot of people. I don't shoot it any more because rounds are expensive and I don't have 800 rounds to burn. Just shoot it. You will love it! It was made to shoot, and you won't hurt it. Just clean it after each use. There is a reason so many rifles use a Mauser action. They were designed tough, for long life. Have fun!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I didn't realize these where so popular.
    They ran their coarse years ago like all the other military rifles. Most have dried up for the most part. But there are still plenty of Mossin Nagants out there. They aren't as good as the mausers but they are fine rifles. A lot more kick than your 6.5x55. I like the turned down bolt the best. I've had most of them over the years. Some I wish I had back, but the 6.5x55 isn't going anywhere.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They ran their coarse years ago like all the other military rifles. Most have dried up for the most part. But there are still plenty of Mossin Nagants out there. They aren't as good as the mausers but they are fine rifles. A lot more kick than your 6.5x55. I like the turned down bolt the best. I've had most of them over the years. Some I wish I had back, but the 6.5x55 isn't going anywhere.

I assume you mean German Mauser rifles (in the proper sense) since the Swede rifles all used a Mauser action.

I just got into this caliber and noticed that if you want the full potential of the 6.5x55 cartridge then you'll need to hand load. Otherwise, the cartridge is quite popular in Europe where it's used for medium sized game. You can find Tika, CZ, Blaser and other European rifles as well as Rem 700 and other US rifles, but less commonly.

As far as I know, the Swedes are the only ones who ever used this cartridge for combat purposes. (Did the Norwegians use the 6.5 in ther military Krags?) Edit: YES.

A bit of trivia: The 6.5x55 cartridge was used for biathalon shooting until they got all soft went to rimfire.

Personally I would just purchase another Swiss K-31 if you don't want to shoot the one you have.
    Umm, wrong country and caliber.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I assume you mean German Mauser rifles (in the proper sense) since the Swede rifles all used a Mauser action.

I just got into this caliber and noticed that if you want the full potential of the 6.5x55 cartridge then you'll need to hand load. Otherwise, the cartridge is quite popular in Europe where it's used for medium sized game. You can find Tika, CZ, Blaser and other European rifles as well as Rem 700 and other US rifles, but less commonly.

As far as I know, the Swedes are the only ones who ever used this cartridge for combat purposes. (Did the Norwegians use the 6.5 in ther military Krags?) Edit: YES.

A bit of trivia: The 6.5x55 cartridge was used for biathalon shooting until they got all soft went to rimfire.

Umm, wrong country and caliber.
    I meant German 8mm, Swede 6.5x55, Spanish 7x57, all of them. Someone had a semi auto in 6.5x55. Can't remember who. Probably an FN. At on time I had a Hakim. FN built for the Egyptians. It shot 8mm Mauser. That was an awesome gun. I did a little checking on the CZ and Tikka in 6.5x55. Very nice, but kinda salty.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Oh I think I see where the confusion came from. I was comparing the Mausers to the Mosin Nagants and you thought I was comparing the 6.5x55 to the Mausers. Yeah, I know my Mausers. Several nations used mausers. We even stole the design for the '03 Springfield. The Germans tried to sue.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I meant German 8mm, Swede 6.5x55, Spanish 7x57, all of them. Someone had a semi auto in 6.5x55. Can't remember who. Probably an FN. At on time I had a Hakim. FN built for the Egyptians. It shot 8mm Mauser. That was an awesome gun. I did a little checking on the CZ and Tikka in 6.5x55. Very nice, but kinda salty.

The Swedes made the Ljungman which is semi auto 6.5 mm. The Haikim and the later Rasheed (7.62) are adaptations of that gun.

Oh I think I see where the confusion came from. I was comparing the Mausers to the Mosin Nagants and you thought I was comparing the 6.5x55 to the Mausers. Yeah, I know my Mausers. Several nations used mausers. We even stole the design for the '03 Springfield. The Germans tried to sue.

OK.

Honestly, my Swede is the first Mauser I've owned. I hope it's not my last....

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The Swedes made the Ljungman which is semi auto 6.5 mm. The Haikim and the later Rasheed (7.62) are adaptations of that gun.

OK.

Honestly, my Swede is the first Mauser I've owned. I hope it's not my last....
    Thanks for the info. It's been a long time. A friend's dad had a huge collection back when I was a teen. The friend's collection has gone way beyond his father's. The feel of those old mauser's kinda makes everything else feel not so great.

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Instead of looking for a modern firearm in the 6.5x55 caliber why not look for another surplus in that caliber??? That's why I'm looking for a surplus Swedish Mauser instead of a modern rifle.
    tom

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Instead of looking for a modern firearm in the 6.5x55 caliber why not look for another surplus in that caliber??? That's why I'm looking for a surplus Swedish Mauser instead of a modern rifle.
    tom
    Makes sense. I think I would do the same...just wonder though...once a guy has shot it...he might be like me and decide it's not for sale.:D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    tom

a modern rifle means you have more choices of optic mounts, possible lighter weight, better weather resistance..
    the caliber will work for just about anything in the world if legal & good shot placement.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    CZ 550.
    If you look around you can find a few Swedish Mausers in 6.5 for sale. Most asking in the $400 from a quick search I just did. If that's the going rate I'd certainly get the CZ instead.

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Hey Murph.....feel free to pm me where you are seeing $400 swedish mausers...I'd prefer one of those to a new rifle just for the history :>)

Top Bottom