Anyone ever appeal their property tax assessment and win?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    On new castle our was assessed for 15% more than we paid on open market in 2004. I challenged it to be reduced to sale price and assessor refused.

Him: what is your house really worth?

Me: what someone will pay me for it

Him: (pause) no, what it will cost to replace.

Nonsense.
    FYI, that was under the old system the the Indiana Supreme Court ruled unconstitutional and set in motion the changes we have now.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, I am afraid this entire housing situation is gonna end ugly. When people end up owing 2 times what a house is worth.....and the free money savings dries up, wages start dropping and a recession hits.....wonder what will happen? They can't just give them up like they did in 2007-2008, because rent is up 200% and mortgage rates will be 8-10%, where they gonna go? Just going to be stuck with an overpriced home until the next great bubble. It is no different than making a 150% LTV loan, like we did in pre-2008......we will get to the same destination, just taking a different route.

I am really starting to worry about this new world we live in. I don't know how people are surviving....I really don't. $120-150 to fill up a truck with gas, food off the chart, building materials just out of this world, car prices expensive and rates rising, I am sure insurance rates will soon rise...hell, even the dump went up 300%!! Stock market could crash like we have not seen in decades, maybe another 10-20% down on top of the 10% already, who knows? We are in uncharted waters.

The American consumer will always lose in the end....that is just how .gov works, always behind the curve. Give with the right and taketh with the left. Sorry to sound so optimistic.......add purple where it makes you feel better.

And maybe I am dead wrong. Maybe home prices double from here, stock market doubles and every thing else drops in half, but I sure don't understand how that happens.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yeah, I am afraid this entire housing situation is gonna end ugly. When people end up owing 2 times what a house is worth.....and the free money savings dries up, wages start dropping and a recession hits.....wonder what will happen? They can't just give them up like they did in 2007-2008, because rent is up 200% and mortgage rates will be 8-10%, where they gonna go? Just going to be stuck with an overpriced home until the next great bubble. It is no different than making a 150% LTV loan, like we did in pre-2008......we will get to the same destination, just taking a different route.

I am really starting to worry about this new world we live in. I don't know how people are surviving....I really don't. $120-150 to fill up a truck with gas, food off the chart, building materials just out of this world, car prices expensive and rates rising, I am sure insurance rates will soon rise...hell, even the dump went up 300%!! Stock market could crash like we have not seen in decades, maybe another 10-20% down on top of the 10% already, who knows? We are in uncharted waters.

The American consumer will always lose in the end....that is just how .gov works, always behind the curve. Give with the right and taketh with the left. Sorry to sound so optimistic.......add purple where it makes you feel better.

And maybe I am dead wrong. Maybe home prices double from here, stock market doubles and every thing else drops in half, but I sure don't understand how that happens.
    History seems to be repeating itself. 2007-2008 wasn't even that long ago and people are already doing the same crap.

Grim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2021
    Linden
    Ours is up 21% over last year. It is up over 32% since 2018.
    We refinanced last year and our appraisal nearly matches our recent assessment.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My Mom lives in St Joe cty. Her property value went from $4000 per acre to $10000 per. She has 3 acres of pines with the bypass running 100 yd from her property. Definitely gonna appeal
    In the flyover land between Indy and the region farm ground has sold between $14,000-$18.000 an acre. When the likes of the Chinese and Bill Gates are buying, not to mention the seed corn companies, your values are going to increase.

garni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    New Albany
    We just received our new property tax assessment and let's just say, No ****ing way. The 2021 assessment was about what the asking price for the house when we bought it in September. We paid about 7% over asking price. The new assistant is a full 35% higher than the 2021 assessment. :xmad:

There is a service locally that will fight this for us. It's under $200. But has anyone ever done this themselves and been successful? How hard is it? What needs to be done? I have no clue about this but if it's just a few forms and explanation, I'd attempt it myself.
    What is the name of the service that you use for this?

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    I appealed in Owen County a couple years ago when the assessment went up 25% with no explanation. I won the appeal, which was a pleasant surprise, and last year’s tax bill was back to where it had been the previous year. But a few weeks after I paid that I got the new assessment, and it was back up 15%. Plus, the assessor is now being extra unpleasant to deal with, and I’m expecting the worst next year. Thinking seriously of moving.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm filling out the paperwork this weekend on all the places that went up. Saddest part is the duplexes I am re-financing did not go up. Perfect timing.

I really doubt I get very far with this, but it is going to hurt in a bad way and I have to push it along to the tenants just to stay even.

Also need to know why my personal property went up so much. It's crazy. Maybe I should have sold off all my stuff and reaped the instant reward.

Nah

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Only when I hired a real estate attorney who specializes in property tax appeals. When I appealed the same thing myself (twice), I got nothing. But "magically" he was able to get them to cut the value. Hmmm...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm filling out the paperwork this weekend on all the places that went up. Saddest part is the duplexes I am re-financing did not go up. Perfect timing.

I really doubt I get very far with this, but it is going to hurt in a bad way and I have to push it along to the tenants just to stay even.

Also need to know why my personal property went up so much. It's crazy. Maybe I should have sold off all my stuff and reaped the instant reward.

Nah
    So you have recent sales that are lower than your assessment?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So you have recent sales that are lower than your assessment?
    I didn't sell anything. I also did not pull comps this time because I know all the sales were way high.

Duplexes in my area were not selling I guess, as when I pulled comps on them a while back I was well under what I had hoped for. But then again I want the houses to appraise for a million and assess at $100.

Still it is way up there on what prices for houses are considered the new normal. The people selling their junk are reaping the benefits. The guys that hold are not able to do it as well. I looked at a lot of junk places that were priced better than what I would consider a very nice home in my area.

As a matter of fact I saw a place semi local to some of mine. Sits on 5 acres, non-tillable, house was removed because condemned, has a garage that needs removed as well. The septic goes to a creek, well is iffy at best and they have it listed for $289,999. They were asked if it was a typo. It was not.

Now granted, they will never sell for that, but all the crazy prices are ramping up everyone's expectations and then when they sell the assessments are going to jump as well.

Also doesn't help that this county has two religious based colleges that buy up property and take it off the tax roles.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Yup...in a short sentence IN republicans in charge suck, and suck bad. Older people on fixed incomes see their taxes skyrocket, but their retirement $$$ isn't going up. They don't care....just give us your $$$$ .

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yup...in a short sentence IN republicans in charge suck, and suck bad. Older people on fixed incomes see their taxes skyrocket, but their retirement $$$ isn't going up. They don't care....just give us your $$$$ .
    Easy fix: anyone receiving retirement age-based social security should be exempt from paying property taxes on their primary residence.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

We have not see any tax bills rise at this point. Assessments have risen but no budget for next year has been set forth so we do not know what tax bills will be.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We have not see any tax bills rise at this point. Assessments have risen but no budget for next year has been set forth so we do not know what tax bills will be.
    Do you feel that the next round of tax bills will not increase because of the larger assessments? That would be great, but I don't see how they could not go up.

Help me to understand, please.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Easy fix: anyone receiving retirement age-based social security should be exempt from paying property taxes on their primary residence.
    Agree, except it appears its not easy for the current party in control to turn that $$$$ away from themselves. Pretty bad when the 2 main parties love taxes and robbery. My brother and his wife are retired and their house and small property jumped $30k this year alone. I'm fighting a losing battle with mine going up last year by $17k and this year Wabash (R) assessor tacking on another $11k......My county population for the last 40 years straight has declined every single year.....no one coming here and everyone getting out so how they figure our property nobody wants to buy is worth more? Word is some rich folks have been pushing this to get their property value up, then sell out. However its happening all over the state.

Top Bottom