• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Yeah, back when I was a Drill Sgt at Ft Benning... (Thank you God)

Oh, and once in Iraq too at MWR. (Thank you God again) Was walking out of MWR with it when a panic stricken soldier came running back in. Yes, I went right the hell back into DS mode. I walked that soldier back to tent city to his PLT SGT. Thankfully NOT from my own unit.

I found one in a similar situation in Afghanistan. In the DFAC. A unsecured M4 under a table. I immediately secured the weapon and as I walked out with it , like what you experienced a panic stricken Airman (SSgt) came running up to me almost in tears and sweating like a whore in church.I did pretty much the same thing you did. I am pretty sure his 1st Sgt made the SSgt a Senior Airmen within a few days after that.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My wife bought this house years ago. I had to go up in the attic to do some cable runs. I found an aluminum grain shovel in near new shape. When I lifted it there was a 22 "rifle" under it. It was too rusted / busted to be viable even for a project. Pits in the rifling, missing parts, etc so I gave it to a friend who owns a mini-machine shop in his outbuilding. He never did drill out the rifling and sleeve it or make the fire control group or stock. It's a wall hangar now.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    You mean the Ruger 22/45 someone on INGO, cannot remember who, left on a SUV bumper while answering a cell phone before off to the range and found it when stopped for coffee and had a stroke/heart attack?

Yes, did it once. That was enough.
    That is crazy you say that. One time 10 years or so ago I was working around the house. I took my carry gun out of the holster and put it on the back bumper of my truck while I did somthing on the ground. To the point I later hopped in the truck and went to home depot. After returning home I see laying on the rear bumper of my truck my 5" kimber TLE. It took the ride, sat in the parking lot,(21st and Post) and made it home.
    How it never fell off i have no idea
    How someone in the parking lot didn't take it I have no idea.
    I dont tell this story often....lol

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I found one in a similar situation in Afghanistan. In the DFAC. A unsecured M4 under a table. I immediately secured the weapon and as I walked out with it , like what you experienced a panic stricken Airman (SSgt) came running up to me almost in tears and sweating like a whore in church.I did pretty much the same thing you did. I am pretty sure his 1st Sgt made the SSgt a Senior Airmen within a few days after that.
    I remember in basic on bivouac a DI walking up our line just grabbing rifles leaning against trees as the trainee’s were setting up. I grabbed mine before he got to us without him seeing. I definitely remember him tearing into the boots. Never forgot it, never put my rifle down again. Got the lesson without the running and push-ups, or the whack on the head.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    When I was a teenager (about 60 yrs ago) I found a 25acp pistol in the trash can at the White castle on Indy's southside. I was afraid it might be hot so I put it back in the trash after I showed it to the friends I was with. Don't know what became of it.

You mean you didn't do the Harrison Ford / Mel Gibson / Hollywood actor
    field strip, and drop the parts in several different mail boxes?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Found an old sporterized Mauser on the farm one time. I took it and looked it over. Hung on to it for a bit before giving it back unloaded to the trespassing mope that I found it from. But that's not what you're talking about.
    Found a tree stand like that. Let his uncle the Lt. that became a Sgt. Game Warden give it back to him. Didn’t think I could do it correctly. Seems neither of them could obey the game laws.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I was driving with our daughter from the East coast to CA when the wife was sent to Mather AFB as a LT in the Hospital Corps. Military did all the heavy moving, took all my firearms with me in the truck. Only a couple pistols and 3 rifles. She met us in Reno for the night, Went into the hotel and I left the seabag with the guns by there back bumper of the truck. An hour later I realized it and it was a terrifying run down the stairs into the parking lot only to find them still there. Had to sit own the ground a few minutes to regain my breathe .

don

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Just happened to me a few weeks ago...found a Davis .38 derringer in the bottom of my safe under the shelf lining...forgot all about it and hadn't thought of it in years...went to the range and shot it and now know why I didn't miss it....good for maybe 5 feet or so is about all...back in the safe it went...

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You mean the Ruger 22/45 someone on INGO, cannot remember who, left on a SUV bumper while answering a cell phone before off to the range and found it when stopped for coffee and had a stroke/heart attack?

Yes, did it once. That was enough.

EDIT: yes, the Ruger stayed on the bumper the entire time. It was a Montero so there was the divot/cut out for the hatch door. I believe it was mostly in the divot. Drove from my house to downtown (2.5 miles) to coffee shop. Hopped out and walked behind the ride, looked down and staggered forward once it registered what I did.

Don't be dumb like this.
    Thanks for the PSA!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was driving with our daughter from the East coast to CA when the wife was sent to Mather AFB as a LT in the Hospital Corps. Military did all the heavy moving, took all my firearms with me in the truck. Only a couple pistols and 3 rifles. She met us in Reno for the night, Went into the hotel and I left the seabag with the guns by there back bumper of the truck. An hour later I realized it and it was a terrifying run down the stairs into the parking lot only to find them still there. Had to sit own the ground a few minutes to regain my breathe .

don

I know exactly how you feel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never have found a gun, but the gardener found a new bag of 458 WM brass on her plant potting bench recently. No idea how long it had been there, but I vaguely remember buying some 10 years ago or so.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    In the early 1970’s when I was very young we lived by a railroad track on a berm in the country. My older Brothers found a couple boxes that had M79 Grenade Launchers in them. My Dad called the Sheriff and he had one in our house to show us from one of the broken containers. Being very young I only vaguely remember it broke open like a shotgun.

Guess they lost a few cases and found some sporadically to almost Saint Louis.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Story once removed:

At NATO Airbase during 1st Gulf War. NATO not officially a belligerent but on warfooting in case Saddam or terrorists decide to make NATO belligerent.

Our US support unit commander walks to the on-base German bank and sees a G-3 rifle leaning against the wall by the entrance. He grabs it and heads back to his office to call base cops (long before cell phones).

In meantime SSgt Sadsack comes out of the bank to find his rifle missing. Somehow he contacts base cops (where he was temporarily assigned as a security augmentee and issued a rifle) before the US support unit commander, and the German security commander calls me in the Command Post and says “SSgt Sadsack says he lost his rifle.”

My first thought is “OMG he sold his rifle!” because I knew that Sadsack was a bag of worms and causing big financial and other problems for himself and everyone else. Then the US support commander gets his call in, and everybody starts breathing again.

SSgt SadSack later stated that there was a sign on the door that said “no weapons” so he parked his rifle and went in to do his business. :ugh:

BTW the US support commander was the one who dealt with all the disciplinary and personnel stuff for USAF personnel assigned to NATO so this was another log on the fire he was already building for SSgt Sadsack.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's a long story. In a former life, I was a training officer of a basic training company at Ft. Campbell. One night, after a long day at the range and a long march back to the barracks, I was the only cadre member in the company still around. It was dark outside and I decided to inspect the barracks area. I surprised a couple of basic trainees who spotted me and attempted to make their way back to the barracks to warn their fellow trainees. I stopped them in their tracks and enlisted their aid. I needed help collecting all the M-14's that had been abandoned outside, propped against the barracks. We collected several and took them back to the orderly room. The recruits who I had enlisted, wanted to go to the barracks and tell their compadres what had transpired. I told them to sit tight. It wasn't a long wait when the first trainees showed up, soon followed by more. Once I had a trainee for each rifle, we all gathered outside. I gave them a chewing out about the importance of keeping their rifle close and well maintained. I acknowledged that many of them wouldn't end up going to Viet Nam, but that they were all being trained to that standard. After the lecture, they all were required to do push ups with their M-14's resting on the backs of their hands. Cut to many, many months later. I was sitting on a wood bench at Phu Bai waiting for Air Force transport to someplace. A lean, mean looking LRP kept staring at me. He was wearing tiger striped fatigues and a matching beret. He had the typical large knife strapped to his web gear, upside down, near his shoulder. After a short while he came over and stood directly in front of me. He said, "Lieutenant, I was in your basic training company and thought that you were a hard ass!" I thought, "Well here it comes. He's going to slit my throat with that huge knife!" I continued to sit and he went on. "Some of the things that you taught me, have saved my life over here!" I don't recall what babble came out of my mouth at that point or what else he might or might not have said. He then walked away. It's probably not the "found gun" story that anyone expected. It is the greatest compliment that I have ever received or probably ever would receive.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband was going to town one day and saw what looked like a gun case along the highway. On his way home, he stopped to check it out...assuming it was empty. Picked it up and realized it had a shotgun in it. He brought it home and we discussed what to do...figured someone had set it on the back of their truck and lost it or something. Called the sheriff's department, and they came out and took the gun and filled out a report. They ran the numbers and it wasn't reported stolen. They gave us a receipt and told us if nobody claimed it in six months, it was ours. We called them several months later and then went and picked it up as nobody had ever called them to report it missing or to claim it.

Top Bottom