• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    That's why you start putting money in every week at this point (don't dump it all in at once and hope you bought at the bottom). You don't know where the bottom is (nobody does). This way, you spread your buying across the valley.
    Good point I don't know why I didn't think of that strategy since I already do it with my other money lol

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I just looked at my TSP account, lost 3k. I was allocated 50/50 between the C and S funds, switched it all over to G fund this morning. Hopefully I did the right thing I retire in 7 days!
    This has to be a joke, did you mean to put it in purple?

Seriously, that's like following up a stupid mistake with more stupid mistakes... if you're serious, I'm sorry, you did some damage to your retirement...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    G fund is the "safest" fund to go in to.

Yes, and it has the lowest rate of return.
    It is important to put "safest" in quotes because the government ids borrowing from the G fund to meet expenses. Just hope they put it back before you need it; I'm sure they will.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    I just looked at my TSP account, lost 3k. I was allocated 50/50 between the C and S funds, switched it all over to G fund this morning. Hopefully I did the right thing I retire in 7 days!

I done the same thing as soon as I heard China was having troubles last week. Everything is in G fund with the exception of the L2040. Historically it seems that about every seven years or so the market takes a plummet. 2015, 2007, 2001, 1994, 1987. I doubt we have seen the last of the market dropping this year

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I done the same thing as soon as I heard China was having troubles last week. Everything is in G fund with the exception of the L2040. Historically it seems that about every seven years or so the market takes a plummet. 2015, 2007, 2001, 1994, 1987. I doubt we have seen the last of the market dropping this year

I did not realize the 7 year cycle but thanks for pointing it out! I moved to G fund to avoid any more $3k dumps. I will probably move back to C and S in the next couple days. I know you're not supposed to play with TSP daily but, when I see a $3k loss, I commence to evacuating body cavities.....

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    This has to be a joke, did you mean to put it in purple?

Seriously, that's like following up a stupid mistake with more stupid mistakes... if you're serious, I'm sorry, you did some damage to your retirement...

Please explain as I am not as savvy about this stuff as I used to be 20-30 years ago

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    I did not realize the 7 year cycle but thanks for pointing it out! I moved to G fund to avoid any more $3k dumps. I will probably move back to C and S in the next couple days. I know you're not supposed to play with TSP daily but, when I see a $3k loss, I commence to evacuating body cavities.....

I plan on leaving mine on G fund to let this all ride out. In sept/Oct of 2008 TSP share prices dropped dramatically about like they are now. I'm not saying this is going to happen again, but if it does I'll have a chance to buy into the "I" fund with super low share prices.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I plan on leaving mine on G fund to let this all ride out. In sept/Oct of 2008 TSP share prices dropped dramatically about like they are now. I'm not saying this is going to happen again, but if it does I'll have a chance to buy into the "I" fund with super low share prices.

Good thinking. I was looking at moving back to C and S but, I'd like a little more stability before I do.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Glad I put buy limits in with my Vanguard ETF's... when the market went south right before the close I got a HEALTHY chunk of dough in. I fully expect things to be looking up again in the morning... but if not I have more buy orders in for lower drops so I buy even more if it goes further south...

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Between Monday of last week and Wednesday of this week, I've lost about $14,000 .... Not fun to watch, but I'm gonna ride it out.....

I checked this evening, I am feeling so sick, I lost a little over $8000. I am all in G fund now until I see stability. I don't think we are done with this downtrend yet, I have a feeling that it is going to get a little more ugly than it already is.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Please explain as I am not as savvy about this stuff as I used to be 20-30 years ago

Sorry, just now saw this.

If you're set to retire in 7 days and worried about your money and you were still heavily in the stock market right up to Monday morning when you said you moved it all to G you dropped the ball. When you near retirement you should be moving most of your money into more secure holdings. Unfortunately it was/is too late for that. The time to sell was a few weeks ago (obviously we all see/know that now).

The follow-on mistake to that was panicking and selling on a down-ward trend. At the point that your money movement occurred (TSP doesn't make instantaneous trades) the markets had already lost a significant value. If this is a massive decline like we saw in '08 you will have done the right thing by making the move. But I (and a lot of financially savvy folks) don't believe this is going to be nearly as bad as '08. If that is the case you locked in your losses (by selling) when the market was already a significant way to the bottom.

That being said, without people selling cheap (locking in losses) there wouldn't be cheap stock for folks like me to buy. I prefer to buy low and sell high. Obviously for me to be able to buy low there has to be somebody willing to sell low. That would be people that panic and sell their stocks as things are spiraling downward...

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    OK thanks for the explanation. I am not planning on moving my money out of TSP anytime soon. I am only 45 and have a few years before I can pull it out, unfortunately, I just can't contribute to the plan after I retire, which sucks although I can still move the money around within the plan as far as I know. For me, TSP has been something I signed up for and allowed money into every month only rarely checking up on it.

At at two of the TAPS classes (retirement school for .mil) two different USAA financial advisors recommended leaving the money in TSP because the yearly maintenance fees were stupidly low, like .003%.

I am am definitely in no rush to hit 60 and get my hands on this money, the first 45 years have gone by so frickin fast that it scares me I will wake up and be 75 tomorrow.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I look at is a chance to purchase some stock cheaper.....I got in the week of the Crash in 87 and said oh....The dot com bubble was interesting and 2008 was fun, but I adjusted and will do the same this week. As you get older, move some of the money to safer accounts.....

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Meh.
    I lost a bunch when the dot-com bubble burst; I had made it all back in six months.
    The best thing to do is move it to bonds the day before the dive starts and move it back to stocks the day it bottoms out. The problem is you don't know which days are which until later.
    The other problem is Hiliary plans to tax your gains at 40% if you do figure it out.

Top Bottom