• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I retired at age 59. For many years I put the max in my 401K and my employer gave a match up to 4%. It served me well. Since retiring the market has crashed twice. What did I do? Nothing. If you sell now are you smart enough to know when to get in to ride it up again? My asset allocation allows me to live several years without touching a stock.

Smart man....

The time to sell stock is when the market is up, the time to buy stock is when the market is down....

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My statements

Up about 30% ytd

That's what I wondered......after the beating it took the last 2 sessions, it is now YTD +10%. Wasnt sure where the +70% was coming from......figured it must have been cumulative past years. Still a good one to own....they always come back strong.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    It's been going straight up since 09. The correction has been coming and is way passed due. Thank the QEs. I've been in a bond fund for a while in anticipation. Took out half last year and bought a house with it. They can't lower interest rates anymore. What will they do to "save us" I mean their butts this time?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My investments are so diversified that not more than 3% of my money is in any one stock.
    The market goes up and down, but over the long haul, its a good investment.
    The Obama policies have forced money into the market and away from banks and lending institutions. This fuels big business at the expense of small business and increases returns for big investors. The Income Gap is a direct result of Obama's policies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My investments are so diversified that not more than 3% of my money is in any one stock.
    The market goes up and down, but over the long haul, its a good investment.
    The Obama policies have forced money into the market and away from banks and lending institutions. This fuels big business at the expense of small business and increases returns for big investors. The Income Gap is a direct result of Obama's policies.

Makes it pretty obvious who is pulling his strings.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I got out when the DOW hit 18120 last month. Then it dropped 600 points and I put half back in. When it rose back to that level a couple of weeks later I got all out and have been sitting on the sidelines. And this was from a conservative retirement 2010 fund. Looks like I timed it right.....I put my hand on the ticker, close my eyes and feel the momentum......
    p.s. Was thinking about this move when the DOW hit 16100 in Mar 2014, but talked myself out of it. Lunch is on me everybody.....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I got out when the DOW hit 18120 last month. Then it dropped 600 points and I put half back in. When it rose back to that level a couple of weeks later I got all out and have been sitting on the sidelines. And this was from a conservative retirement 2010 fund. Looks like I timed it right.....I put my hand on the ticker, close my eyes and feel the momentum......
    p.s. Was thinking about this move when the DOW hit 16100 in Mar 2014, but talked myself out of it. Lunch is on me everybody.....

The place on C'ville Rd., where we had meet & Eat, in Jan. ?????

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    For those who remember 1987, this is nothing.

Really? I was only 19 years old in 87 and had never heard of Wall Street. But a quick glance of the chart makes it look pretty small compared to 2007-2009. In 87 the DOW fell from 2600 to 1800, about 30% loss.....in 07-09 it went from 14000 to 7000, 50% loss....who knows where we end up this time.

EDIT: I see market is now under Rule 48.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    That's why you start putting money in every week at this point (don't dump it all in at once and hope you bought at the bottom). You don't know where the bottom is (nobody does). This way, you spread your buying across the valley.

I'm thinkng of putting some money in. Only question is where is the bottom.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I just looked at my TSP account, lost 3k. I was allocated 50/50 between the C and S funds, switched it all over to G fund this morning. Hopefully I did the right thing I retire in 7 days!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I should put in a request to up my contributions with Norfolk Southern to 3-5% of my check as I still have 29 yrs till I'm at 35 and can draw from RRB.

Top Bottom