• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Do the locals have any representation at the national level? Thinking along the lines of the way lifetime NRA members can attend national meetings, participate in elections, etc..
    We don't vote on the national level. I assume our President does, but he is a snake basically. He screwed us on the last negotiations and then immediately retired, so I'm guessing that was a shady deal. New president so we will have to wait and see how it goes, but I've never liked this guy either so I don't have much faith.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We don't vote on the national level. I assume our President does, but he is a snake basically. He screwed us on the last negotiations and then immediately retired, so I'm guessing that was a shady deal. New president so we will have to wait and see how it goes, but I've never liked this guy either so I don't have much faith.
    That's a shame. Sounds like there is basically no accountability, at least beyond the immediate locals, and it sounds like they tend to toe the national line.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Local 440 for about 18 years. They tell us to vote dems because ’they are the working man’s party’. Well, maybe back in teh 50’s or 60’s. Not today. Neither side is for the working man. I’m not sure how the side who pushes for open borders can be for the working man, when that drives down wages across the board. I know very few workers who are liberals. Honestly, even at the local level, the leadership doesn’t really seem to believe what they are saying. As has been said, keep your mouth shut as an apprentice, learn he trade, work hard and you’ll do fine.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I've been a UAW member for @22 years. I've been a conservative/libertarian/constitutionalist since day one.

I feel like a majority of my coworkers are more conservative than not....but some definitely regurgitate the Dem BS.

I've never been shy about my political leanings and will gladly debate anyone who has issue with it. I have worn MAGA gear in the past....and have been confronted about it, once even being accused of creating a hostile work environment.

I don't let it bother me. This is still America.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Who votes for the union leadership? How do they get in the positions they are in...
    Union members, that's who. It's just like government elections. It's a high school popularity contest. The person who gets elected is usually a "Johnnie Cochran" type who talks a good game about how good a job he'll do getting workers who violate workplace policies "off the hook."

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Union members, that's who. It's just like government elections. It's a high school popularity contest. The person who gets elected is usually a "Johnnie Cochran" type who talks a good game about how good a job he'll do getting workers who violate workplace policies "off the hook."
    Back in early 1980's I worked a union job and there was an election for 2nd shift union steward. The winner was not the sharpest knife in the drawer but he promised and delivered a free beer party at a local tavern if he won. Hey it worked. Jim.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Question for the union guys that have said that their unions consistently support Democrats. Has anyone thought to ask the leadership why? I mean, the Democrats of old used to be pro-blue collar workers, so it would have made sense. That is no longer the case...

(bolded for emphasis).

I completely agree. Bill Clinton killed that with a sledge hammer called NAFTA.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Use of dues money for political contributions is absolutely verboten, and will swiftly bring the legal hammer down on a collective bargaining agent.

Using dues money to meet with lawmakers and discuss policy, on the other hand, is absolutely allowed.

A union rep can absolutely meet with a lawmaker or their staff to discuss a piece of legislation, but they can't use dues buy a seat at a $5k/plate campaign fundraiser dinner to get that access. As BBI said, that's the entire point of a PAC, to buy access and influence.

/member of a union without a PAC, who has personally done advocacy on Capitol Hill with Congresscritters of both parties

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

Ok, let's take that to the next logical question given how many posters above mention how many of their coworkers/other members outright disagree with union leadership...

How are these c**** still in leadership positions if all of these members hate them so much? Failure of members to care enough to vote/run? If EVERYONE you know hates them so much...do something about it...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ok, let's take that to the next logical question given how many posters above mention how many of their coworkers/other members outright disagree with union leadership...

How are these c**** still in leadership positions if all of these members hate them so much? Failure of members to care enough to vote/run? If EVERYONE you know hates them so much...do something about it...
    You have to distinguish what kind of "leadership" you're talking about. If it's the local Steward / VP / Local President, they are probably in-line with what their members think. If it's the regional muckety-mucks and higher? I doubt the rank-and-file can do much about those people.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    You have to distinguish what kind of "leadership" you're talking about. If it's the local Steward / VP / Local President, they are probably in-line with what their members think. If it's the regional muckety-mucks and higher? I doubt the rank-and-file can do much about those people.

Historically, you would be correct.

The UAW has just recently passed "one member, one vote" where we now elect international and regional representatives at the local level.

Previously we would elect local delegates who would then go up north to represent the locals in big elections at the international level.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. When I say "just recently", I mean 2-3 weeks ago.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Ive been in #481 for 16 years and I would say half our membership are Closet Republicans. Me I dont care and many of the members dont like me for my views. 50% of the local are worthless anyway and just want to jump from job to job and screw off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Do I though? Does it matter? If yes, why?

If the general membership majority hates the leadership at any level, why do those "leaders" still have jobs? Isn't their job to be the voice of the members?

Why is it that "regional muckety-mucks and higher" can get away with the crap they do? Who votes to put them in power? Whose union is it, the "leaders'" or the members'?

Does the membership have voting muscle that they aren't flexing? Has the union leadership become so corrupt that they've rigged the system to benefit them and their cronies? How does a majority of conservative voices find themselves controlled by minority left wingers in unions? (if that's an accurate statement of membership demographics/political leaning)

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Just stay quite. Unions back :poop: Bag dems.
    The local 440 was the same way so I just kept my mouth shut and enjoyed my extremely great pay and benefits.
    This is a great plan which I also used. I worked in Illinois and the union President was Jimmy Hoffa Jr. Yes, and they'd send out quarterly newsletters with all sorts of crazy crap in them. Not sure I agreed with anything but it was a necessary evil to protect yourself from the State. Glad it's over now :thumbsup:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Do I though? Does it matter? If yes, why?

If the general membership majority hates the leadership at any level, why do those "leaders" still have jobs? Isn't their job to be the voice of the members?

Why is it that "regional muckety-mucks and higher" can get away with the crap they do? Who votes to put them in power? Whose union is it, the "leaders'" or the members'?

Does the membership have voting muscle that they aren't flexing? Has the union leadership become so corrupt that they've rigged the system to benefit them and their cronies? How does a majority of conservative voices find themselves controlled by minority left wingers in unions? (if that's an accurate statement of membership demographics/political leaning)
    In my experience it's because the people that would be good for leadership positions have absolutely no interest in doing it. They can make more money and put up with less BS by staying in their position.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Rigging elections is not uncle Joe Bidden new my friend. Its not the electorate its the counters of your vote after all.....:dunno:

Top Bottom