• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been interested in the new version of the Savage 42 takedown compact since I heard it was coming out. I haven't seen one on the market or held one of the new compact takedowns yet, but I'm really interested. I'd like to take this rig out hunting for a few days where I'd be hiking in a few miles. The hiking part is where the weight comes into play. I'm not a big fan of the plastic sights, but I think I can work around that. Ideally this fall I'd like to take a little trip with some people and spend a couple of days hiking, hunting, fishing, camping etc. More carrying around than shooting for sure, so I'm just curious if people out there have much experience with the savage 42's?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Great over all design for a carry all day piece.

The older one are better but the newer ones are lighter just what you are looking for. Should be no issues. In the older one they made a camper version which was a lighter piece for sure.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Have you looked at the matched pair rossi's? I think tthy have a 22/20 gauge. I have a youth model and it works well. When the barrels are off it all fits into a small case. Of course you could only pick one barrel at a time, but they are pretty inexpensive.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Well i have two of the older savage model 24 22/410 and they are hea-vy. Definitely not my choice for carrying around all day. And every squirrel I ever shot with the 410 limped away if the shot was over 10 yards.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Well i have two of the older savage model 24 22/410 and they are hea-vy. Definitely not my choice for carrying around all day. And every squirrel I ever shot with the 410 limped away if the shot was over 10 yards.

410 sucks. My dad handed me one as a kid and taught me the ropes of hunting. I carried that junk for a couple years. Boxes of shells fired at small game and nothing but unfound wounded animals. They were 3" shells out of a full choked single shot. Once the 12ga was in my hands it was game on the table.

Something I would rather carry all day would be a 20ga or a nice handy little 17HMR or a Keltech Sub2000 depends on laws and game

I

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I haven't looked at the Rossi matched pairs because I'm not really interested in swapping barrels mid hunt.

I grew up with a single shot 410 and blasted all kinds of small game with it. Maybe I just got lucky, but it worked fine.

Top Bottom