:):
    I'd rock a flattie in a heartbeat.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would too with an exception of my fear of rolling over without any rollcage
    That would be a minor headache! But, yeah, a cage and proper restraints would be necessary.

jeep CJ-5

It's in Brownsburg.

I saw that earlier (during my weekly Craigs browsing). Its certainly cheaper to buy someone's project and finish it, than to build from scratch. No way to buy a CJ-5 and built it to that point for $6K. Heck, the fiberglass tub and tilt hood/fenders are worth $2K of that.

I've got enough projects already! Until my CJ gets back on the trail - NO MORE!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I was going to do this setup with my current leaf springs and an extra xj leaf springs:

...give me 2" of lift on the rear and a 2" coil spacer for the front. I don't do anything hard like rocks, so should last me till end of this year or next to get the lift I really want(about $1k).

I wouldn't even mess with a 2" kit, unless I was making a pretty DD into an occassional "deer from the woods" hauler.

3" and I rubbed fenderwells way too hard.

Went 5" and yanked sway bars, did that to my next XJ too. Both DD's running 31's. Fairly nimble without needing regeared (3.55 rear ends).

I have 3.5" on my ZJ, it's going to 5" if I keep it. 32's rub too much, even on the street ;)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I wouldn't even mess with a 2" kit, unless I was making a pretty DD into an occassional "deer from the woods" hauler.

3" and I rubbed fenderwells way too hard.

Went 5" and yanked sway bars, did that to my next XJ too. Both DD's running 31's. Fairly nimble without needing regeared (3.55 rear ends).

I have 3.5" on my ZJ, it's going to 5" if I keep it. 32's rub too much, even on the street ;)

spending like 60 bucks on it and some of my time...any more then that and I would not have done it

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wheeling on a budget, I understand it to a point but.......you wheel it, you will break it, and it's gonna cost way more than 60 bucks (sooner or later).

My time is worth money to me, so I am not going to do the same fix or mod twice.

30 years of Jeeps, that sh*t quit being fun waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back ;)

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Wheeling on a budget, I understand it to a point but.......you wheel it, you will break it, and it's gonna cost way more than 60 bucks (sooner or later).

My time is worth money to me, so I am not going to do the same fix or mod twice.

30 years of Jeeps, that sh*t quit being fun waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back ;)

Not bothering me at the moment...gotta get money for a real lift, sye, steering bar upgrade and Trackbar upgrade to run a 4.5" lift.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Not bothering me at the moment...gotta get money for a real lift, sye, steering bar upgrade and Trackbar upgrade to run a 4.5" lift.

FWIW, when we ran a 4.5" kit on my wifes XJ, we ran with stock steering and no SYE on 31s with no issues other than a minor vibe going down the road. Drove it like that for over 2 years and never had a problem.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    FWIW, when we ran a 4.5" kit on my wifes XJ, we ran with stock steering and no SYE on 31s with no issues other than a minor vibe going down the road. Drove it like that for over 2 years and never had a problem.

Interesting...I guess we'll see after a 4.5" lift goes on. What track bar should I get? I was thinking a iron rock HD Trackbar or the ruff stuff hein joints trackbar. Thoughts?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    5" lift, 2 different XJ's, no vibe and no SYE either.
    Offset bracket for trackbar did crack, replaced and welded the new one in.
    Next XJ just welded it at the start :)
    Welded on 1" T case drops too (both XJ's).
    Did use RE Superflex adj lower C arms on both as well.
    Rears were 3" Procomp packs with Rocky Road spacers under, the spacers had shims and worked fine.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Offset bracket does hang down and stresses weak factory axle bracket area.
    Better IMHO to keep it closer to center, use the original bolt up location and go with adj trackbar.
    Wheel it and probably need to weld cracks anyway.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    My wife is starting to save for one. She wants to replace her Saturn next year. Who am I to question her? :D

They aren't really even all the impractical for a small family. Seating for 4 or 5, a little cargo room, and even a little towing capacity. Mileage isn't all that great, but you are still driving a box on wheels. I'd rock one in a heartbeat.

I've got one, with the 6 spd manual. I get around 17.5 in town and 20.2 on the highway, so not so bad for a Jeep.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Offset bracket does hang down and stresses weak factory axle bracket area.
    Better IMHO to keep it closer to center, use the original bolt up location and go with adj trackbar.
    Wheel it and probably need to weld cracks anyway.

I have frame stiffeners in the way, bottom bolt holes offset by 3/16 of an inch

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Interesting...I guess we'll see after a 4.5" lift goes on. What track bar should I get? I was thinking a iron rock HD Trackbar or the ruff stuff hein joints trackbar. Thoughts?

The Rough Country kit we bought came with and adjustable track bar. It was junk though, ended up clunking at the frame end by the time we sold it. Seems like anything that came with that kit and had a joint ended up being junk in less than 2 years. I had to rebuild the "flex" arm joints at least 4 times, now they are on my trail ZJ and clunking again with only 1 short trip to Bundy Hill on them. The track bar was clunking. The adjustable sway bar discos ended up with a lot of slop. Had to replace the rear bushings in the leaf springs, the fronts started clunking but it got sold before I had a chance to do em. I used to recommend R.C. for a cheap, light duty use kit. However, this XJ saw primarily daily driver use. Only took it wheeling twice, and even then im hard up to call it wheeling as I had to baby it everywhere so we didnt break and leave my wife without a d.d.. So, after all the problems arising just from on road use, I advise everyone to stay away from RC. Just my experience though, I know others who have had some success with them

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The Rough Country kit we bought came with and adjustable track bar. It was junk though, ended up clunking at the frame end by the time we sold it. Seems like anything that came with that kit and had a joint ended up being junk in less than 2 years. I had to rebuild the "flex" arm joints at least 4 times, now they are on my trail ZJ and clunking again with only 1 short trip to Bundy Hill on them. The track bar was clunking. The adjustable sway bar discos ended up with a lot of slop. Had to replace the rear bushings in the leaf springs, the fronts started clunking but it got sold before I had a chance to do em. I used to recommend R.C. for a cheap, light duty use kit. However, this XJ saw primarily daily driver use. Only took it wheeling twice, and even then im hard up to call it wheeling as I had to baby it everywhere so we didnt break and leave my wife without a d.d.. So, after all the problems arising just from on road use, I advise everyone to stay away from RC. Just my experience though, I know others who have had some success with them

I had considered buying rough country until I read similar stories like your elsewhere. My choice of lift right now is zone Offroad...looks good and solid. I'm leaning towards iron rock HD trackbar

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Ive heard several good things about Zone. A TJ I had a few years ago already had a Zone lift on it when i bought it. Never had any issues with it.

Top Bottom