• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Don't keep anything of value in your jeep. And dont keep anything in sight.

I have used a soft top for years, year round. With full doors. No attempted break ins.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't keep anything of value in the Jeep (hard doors, but a soft top). I also just leave it unlocked. Heck, most of the summer the top (and sometimes the doors) aren't even on it. It sits in the office parking lot, where plenty of other petty crime happens, and has never been touched (that I know of).

Now watch, someone will take the 76 cents in change and my empty pop can today. :rolleyes:

I need to get one of these fancy steel glove box doors, though. That way I can leave SOMETHING in the Jeep, even if it is just the registration.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So some things come up and it looks like i won't be wheeling a jeep til next spring...good news is depending what I can sell the yellow car for, I can possible budget $7k for a jeep, maybe up to $9k. Today, I got a chance to drive my wife grandparents' brand new wrangler sport. I LOVE IT!

I know I want a 5 speed, 4wd, Dana 44's, 4L straight six...in a TJ. So what years are best between $7k-$9k price range? I also noted that wranglers had several differentials, which is best?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    So some things come up and it looks like i won't be wheeling a jeep til next spring...good news is depending what I can sell the yellow car for, I can possible budget $7k for a jeep, maybe up to $9k. Today, I got a chance to drive my wife grandparents' brand new wrangler sport. I LOVE IT!

I know I want a 5 speed, 4wd, Dana 44's, 4L straight six...in a TJ. So what years are best between $7k-$9k price range? I also noted that wranglers had several differentials, which is best?

D44s front and rear from the factory are Rubicons. Those are still a little more than 9k.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Look at the axles and transfer case. Dana 44's front and rear w/4.10 gear ratio and selectable lockers (switches on the dash) + NVG241OR transfer case and no slip yoke on the back of the t-case, slip yoke is in the driveshaft where God intended + steel rocker protection = Rubicon.

Some others could be ordered with a Dana 44 rear but had a low-pinion Dana 30 front and came with 3.73 gears.

About a month ago I saw a TJ with Rubicon stickers for sale. D35 and D30, no sliders, wrong T-case. I was gone a few days later. Some poor schmuck probably got taken.

6587d1291691518-dana-axle-identification-axle_id_01.gif

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Look at the axles and transfer case. Dana 44's front and rear w/4.10 gear ratio and selectable lockers (switches on the dash) + NVG241OR transfer case and no slip yoke on the back of the t-case, slip yoke is in the driveshaft where God intended + steel rocker protection = Rubicon.

Some others could be ordered with a Dana 44 rear but had a low-pinion Dana 30 front and came with 3.73 gears.

About a month ago I saw a TJ with Rubicon stickers for sale. D35 and D30, no sliders, wrong T-case. I was gone a few days later. Some poor schmuck probably got taken.

6587d1291691518-dana-axle-identification-axle_id_01.gif

That picture applies to front and rear axles? Can a real Rubicon be had for $9k?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. yes (Dana 30 is diff cover looks like a morph between the D35 and D44, but is smaller. The difference is easy to spot both by shape and size. The D44 is not oval.

d_dana30.jpg

2. who knows. I found 5 within 250 miles of Indy at cars.com between $12,450 and $14,990.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My parents were looking for a wrangler for a long time. They were hoping for a rubicon.

In all their searching, they NEVER ran across one under $13000.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    How much to perform a front and rear Dana 44 swap including beefy drive shafts? Is it cheaper to find a sport and swap in Dana 44's or to just buy a rubie?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How much to perform a front and rear Dana 44 swap including beefy drive shafts? Is it cheaper to find a sport and swap in Dana 44's or to just buy a rubie?

Depends....

New D44 axles can be found for anywhere from $1500 to $2500 each. If you do the labor yourself...

Then there are junkyard swaps were you can pull a D44 out from under something and slide it under yours jeep fairly affordably. Drive shafts depend on what you want to mount under the jeep as far as pricing goes.

We have not talked yokes or lockers either...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Depends....

New D44 axles can be found for anywhere from $1500 to $2500 each. If you do the labor yourself...

Then there are junkyard swaps were you can pull a D44 out from under something and slide it under yours jeep fairly affordably. Drive shafts depend on what you want to mount under the jeep as far as pricing goes.

We have not talked yokes or lockers either...

so if I pull two d44 axles(front and rear) from a junkyard, would I be able to rebuild them and install lockers myself? how much to go that route?

and by yokes, you mean driveshafts? how much for that?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    so if I pull two d44 axles(front and rear) from a junkyard, would I be able to rebuild them and install lockers myself? how much to go that route?

and by yokes, you mean driveshafts? how much for that?

When I get back to a computer I'll be able to give you a better idea on options and prices....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You're not going to Pic A Part and yank a Wrangler D44 for $150.
    They aint there.
    Wrangler salvage/rebuild network keeps the prices high.
    Best bet is maybe a smaller yard out of the loop (doubtful) or finding stuff from individuals who have upgraded, different sources, or lost interest in the hobby or a project.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would still like my above question answered, but out of curiosity, are dana 60's an option for TJ's?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you make a Jeep more rugged, that just means you'll break it on a tougher obstacle.

Just get a TJ and wheel within your wallet.

I would like to drive on 33"(35" at a later time), don't want to break any axles and leave me stranded

Top Bottom