• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I am pretty sure there were no 97 TJ's as a Rubicon. I'm even more sure if you want a Dana 44 under a 97 TJ you have to put then there too.... ;)

My coworker got a first or 2nd yr TJ, and special ordered a 44, factory option. Not a Rubicon, had a 44.
    He was big into wheeling and had a built CJ7 for yrs, said he wouldn't have gotten the TJ without the 44.

I took it for a test spin, across a wicked gravel road washboard and being an old CJ pilot myself, prepared for the worst. That quad coil was pretty sweet to my leaf spring battered spine.

My CJ5 on same stretch would bounce dang near off the road, and rattle my fillings loose at the same time. White knuckle slow speed brutality.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    From TJ FAQ Buyers Guide:

TJ FAQ: Wrangler Buyer's Guide

- The stock rear axle of the TJ is a Dana 35C. Prior to 7/7/96, this is the ONLY rear axle available, even with the Trac-Lok option. So if you ordered the Trac-Lok DSA option @ $278 MSRP, you have a Dana 35C axle with a ratio of 3.07, not the Dana 44.

- Starting 7/7/96, you could order the Dana 44 rear axle, code DRK @ $535 MSRP. This option includes DSA, the Trac-Lok, and has a 3.55 ratio. Note that this option is approximately double the cost of the Trac-Lok alone. Yes, you are paying more for the Dana 44 upgrade!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    And don't knock the Dana 35's.

You only need to upgrade to Dana 44 if you want to run 35's, or plan on doing lockers.

For a daily driver weekend warrior, D35 and 33" tires will be fine.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    What size tires you want?

4 inch lift is best for 33x12.5.
    You could run a smaller lift, but there's will be rubbing.

And don't knock the Dana 35's.

You only need to upgrade to Dana 44 if you want to run 35's, or plan on doing lockers.

For a daily driver weekend warrior, D35 and 33" tires will be fine.

33 or 35...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I like the look of 35's, but for a daily driver, I'd go with 33's. With a 4" lift, it's got that BA look, and still functions great for daily driving. I also haul a trailer, and 35's would make it more difficult.

Gas mileage will be worse with 35's. And really, unless you plan on doing A LOT of off roading on rocks, I don't think 35's are worth the extra money.

If you wheel with 35's, it's smart to run a Dana 44.

You can get by with a Dana 35 with 33's, unless you do a crap load of rock crawling.

I like doing the trails in the woods more than the rocks anyway...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I like the look of 35's, but for a daily driver, I'd go with 33's. With a 4" lift, it's got that BA look, and still functions great for daily driving. I also haul a trailer, and 35's would make it more difficult.

Gas mileage will be worse with 35's. And really, unless you plan on doing A LOT of off roading on rocks, I don't think 35's are worth the extra money.

If you wheel with 35's, it's smart to run a Dana 44.

You can get by with a Dana 35 with 33's, unless you do a crap load of rock crawling.

I like doing the trails in the woods more than the rocks anyway...

Kinda like this?

176679d1240363291-1997-jeep-wrangler-3-lift-33-tires-many-modifications-fs-t-ls1-pictures-008.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That's sharp!

A few notes, that you may already know:
    - tall tires means a loss of power and mileage, unless you re-gear the axles. Not exactly cheap, so a lot of folks just live with it.
    - 4" lifts are about the limit for stock control arms. The angle gets pretty severe, you loose articulation, and they start riding pretty stiff. A "long arm" lift fixes all this, but is more pricey.
    - the Dana 44 rear was available in the "unlimited" version of the TJ (The LJ). The extra storage and wheelbase are nice as well.

A friend wheels his LJ with 35's on a 2.5" suspension lift and 2" body lift. Runs extended bump stops as well. No axle issues yet, but he doesn't have lockers. He goes about anywhere I go with 37's.

You don't need tons of lift to work well off road. 2.5" and 32's works well. The latest fad is to open up the wheel wells (yes, by cutting) to run a large tire with little lift. 35's are easy with 2.5" and some trimming. 35's will eventually kill the stock axles. When depends on how you drive.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I blew my first XJ's D35 with 31's, took eight teeth off the ring gear.
    Buddy blew his TJ's D35 with 33's and it was an automatic, and all he did was mall crawl.
    Romped it on a speed bump, it came down and went "chunk". His just an axle though.
    Still makes me laugh :)

Last edited:

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I blew my first XJ's D35 with 31's, took eight teeth off the ring gear.
    Buddy blew his TJ's D35 with 33's and it was an automatic, and all he did was mall crawl.
    Romped it on a speed bump, it came down and went "chunk". His just an axle though.
    Still makes me laugh :)

I won't be getting 33" for a while, same for dana 44's...so...

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    How would having a jeep with a soft top and soft doors handle living at an apartment complex in regards to theft?

Top Bottom