• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I truly believe that when it comes to high school and college men/women they should be required to take a pistol defense course before they would be "turned loose" on campus. For every 1000 people that would be ok with the responsibilty of carrying, there is that one moron that would be showing off and shoot themselves. Then we would spend the next 10 years fighting to show that it was just one fool.
    I know for a fact that I was not ready for the responsibilty that comes with it until I was 20. Opinions vary though.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I truly believe that when it comes to high school and college men/women they should be required to take a pistol defense course before they would be "turned loose" on campus. For every 1000 people that would be ok with the responsibilty of carrying, there is that one moron that would be showing off and shoot themselves. Then we would spend the next 10 years fighting to show that it was just one fool.
    I know for a fact that I was not ready for the responsibilty that comes with it until I was 20. Opinions vary though.

Explain, please? Are you saying that before men and women are allowed to go to college, they should have to take a pistol defense course? What would this entail, how to use the pistol or how to defend yourself from someone with one if you don't have one yourself?

Also, your "for every thousand..." comment-are you saying that more people OK with the responsibility (meaning they do, themselves, carry?) will still cause the "one fool" situation?

What I'm reading here is that you think you were not ready to go to college (vs not ready to carry a firearm) until you were 20. Are you saying that because you weren't ready, LTCHs should not be issued prior to age 21?

I'm not being sarcastic or dense here, I just want to understand what you're trying to say.

Blessings,
    Bill

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

No. Why discriminate against students? Why not just say ALL who desire a LTCH should take a course? I'm not sure why you choose the words "turned loose" here...I'm not trying to be combative here, but I am calling it like I see it. What you have described is no different than ALL gunowners. For the 999 of us that carry safely, there will ALWAYS be that moron who has a ND.

You may not have been ready at 20. I was. We're all different, but to imply that we are "turned loose" and are ANY more likely to screw up than the rest of the population is mildly [STRIKE]offensive[/STRIKE] irritating. :twocents:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I could also say people shouldn't be allowed to vote until they're 40, and then only after earning a Masters Degree in Political Science.

How does that sound to all you rights-restricting people?

Edited: a Masters in Public Administration would be okay too.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    LTCHs should not be issued prior to age 21?

I'm pretty sure you can get these at 18, you just can't legally buy your own handgun from a retail store until you are 21. I think you could carry your parent's handgun or buy from them or something like that. :dunno:

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    This college shooting could have resulted in a lot of deaths other than just the one of the perpetrator. I was listening to Neal Boortz's show on the way home and they had someone call in who was actually on the school campus while all this was going on. It sounded like it was a real circus with federal, state, and local police on the scene. There were armored vehicles and helicopters circling the college plus SWAT teams as well.

The news segment on the radio was saying that the suspect had a "automatic assault rifle.":rolleyes: How are we supposed to protect our 2nd Amendment rights when the anti-gun folks and those in the media use such terms to drum up fear in all the average Joes out there? My own sister believes that civilians can own fully automatic weapons and it is as common here in Indiana as corn. She doesn't believe me when I say that due to federal laws, new ones are no longer available to guys like me.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Me thinks correct title of the thread should be:
    Another reason why anyone should be allowed to carry anywhere WITHOUT ANY restrictions. [ie no LTCH/permits, no restrictions on type of weapons, etc..]

Bad thing can happen anywhere and at anytime.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Since the college students are attending college to learn and take classes anyway, I don't see a problem with college students having to take a class before they can carry on campus. Hell if taking a class would have let me carry on campus, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. And most colleges require you to take a large number of general elective classes. Now wouldn't it be nice to have a class that teaches firearm safety, responcability, and respect, along with teaching the concequences of taking a life, instead of the students learning something useless like theater appreciation or some of those other useless classes.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Since the college students are attending college to learn and take classes anyway, I don't see a problem with college students having to take a class before they can carry on campus. Hell if taking a class would have let me carry on campus, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. And most colleges require you to take a large number of general elective classes. Now wouldn't it be nice to have a class that teaches firearm safety, responcability, and respect, along with teaching the concequences of taking a life, instead of the students learning something useless like theater appreciation or some of those other useless classes.

If you're going to go that far, why not a course that teaches all that plus tactical pistol skills useful in defending a classroom or taking down a shooter? Imagine taking a semester-long course like that.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

First off, maybe you werent ready but others might be, and it only takes that one person that is ready for the responsibility to save lives.

Second, not all college students are 20 years old

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    First off, maybe you werent ready but others might be, and it only takes that one person that is ready for the responsibility to save lives.

Second, not all college students are 20 years old

true. i'm 19 and a freshman in college
    and i also have taken the responsibility of carrying.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    true. i'm 19 and a freshman in college
    and i also have taken the responsibility of carrying.

I was more implying that in the current state of the economy the number of non-traditional students (30's and higher) has greatly increased. People this age are more likely to carry responsibly than someone in their late teens and early twenties. Don't get me wrong there are exceptions to the rule, im just simply pointing out that IMO a majority of the people that would carry, probably do have some training.

I have no sources to back this up, this is my personal observation and subjective opinion.

But +1 to you for being responsible :D

Top Bottom