• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ahhh, the joys of going "down range". The Four Rules light is always on.

Be sure of your target and its backstop.

Gunsite is having problems getting this across to its students lately. Let us at INGO always remember that the Four Rules always apply as the Four Rules are life.

Man mistaken for target shot during Ariz. gun training

A 50-year-old man was mistaken for a target and accidentally shot during an exercise at a firearm-training facility in northern Arizona, authorities said.

The Florida man was training with three of his colleagues Sunday at the Gunsite Academy in Paulden, which is about 30 miles north of Prescott, the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office said Thursday.

The man was standing on a catwalk as his colleague fired at targets. The colleague saw the black silhouette of the man and fired, shooting the man in the abdomen, officials said.

Instructors administered first aid before he was flown to a local hospital for treatment and surgery. On Thursday, he was listed in good condition.
    Trainees had been told not to shoot in the area of the catwalk. No charges were expected against the shooter.

Buz Mills is the owner of the facility and candidate for governor. "We are relieved this client is in good condition thanks to the swift actions of our staff at Gunsite and the dedicated paramedics at the Central Yavapai Fire District," Mills said. Mike Scerbo, press secretary for Buzz Mills, said Mills has owned Gunsite Academy since 1999.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/05/06/20100506man-shot-at-arizona-gun-training-abrk0506.html#ixzz0nX94vPC4

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    people never cease to amaze me.....target? human?.....the guy that shot him should be slapped and his guns takin' away!!!!!!...and then locked up for the safety of others!!!!!!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    this wouldnt happen if they would have only been using DISNEY approved dinosaur shaped targets! What were they thinking??

:ugh: Thinking? :rolleyes:No way. Even elemental thinking would know better than this dimwit. You can't fix stupid. :bash: As the man said above, take his guns away for the safety of his friends. :scared:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Buz Mills is the owner of the facility and candidate for governor. "We are relieved this client is in good condition [STRIKE]thanks to [/STRIKE] despite the [STRIKE]swift actions [/STRIKE] incompetency of our staff at Gunsite and thanks to the dedicated paramedics at the Central Yavapai Fire District," Mills said. Mike Scerbo, press secretary for Buzz Mills, said Mills has owned Gunsite Academy since 1999.

Fixed the quote.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    people never cease to amaze me.....target? human?.....the guy that shot him should be slapped and his guns takin' away!!!!!!...and then locked up for the safety of others!!!!!!

really? how about the idiot who was down range during a training exercise?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    really? how about the idiot who was down range during a training exercise?

when ever you are shootin' a firearm.....ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...PERIOD......the guy with the gun was to blame...

read the above post #1

"The colleague saw the black silhouette of the man and fired,"

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    It's always on my mind man. We do things as safe as we can, but the more you run shooters, the greater your chances of having something like this happening. We don't have cat walks, thank god! Nobody down range period!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I agree that its the shooters fault, but you do have to question the saftey of having people downrange when shooting. Why would you even want to be down there at all?

I'm surprised that the facility allows people on a catwalk which is downrange, even though they claim to instruct shooters not to shoot the people on the catwalk.

So, the facility allows people on the catwalk during live fire.

Someone thought it would be a good idea to be on the catwalk during live fire.

The shooter shot someone on the catwalk, even though he had been told not to.

Yup - enough stupid to go around.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is about as brilliant as the thread regarding that idiot photographer that was down range during live fire......

oh, the photographer was downrange for a reason, right? I didn't know you had to practice being stupid.

By the way, this act of negligence is an excellent example of the benefits of shooting for center mass instead of head shots.......

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Jay, to Gunsite's credit, the story does say that the student who was shot was not to be on the catwalk.

I want to know what the Rangemaster and ROs were doing?

Gunsite is on a run of horrific accidents. You would think everyone out there would be squared away.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Jay, to Gunsite's credit, the story does say that the student who was shot was not to be on the catwalk.

My students are not responsible for their safety I am

I want to know what the Rangemaster and ROs were doing?

Obviously NOT their jobs

Gunsite is on a run of horrific accidents. You would think everyone out there would be squared away.

Had they been thinking, this would NOT have happened

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I dont agree with your logic. PERIOD.

when ever you are shootin' a firearm.....ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...PERIOD......the guy with the gun was to blame...

read the above post #1

"The colleague saw the black silhouette of the man and fired,"

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Could be a case of "we're the professionals, we know what we are doing" syndrome. Even though the catwalk was above the intended line of fire, there is always a chance of unintended discharge etc. There is NO reason for anyone to be anywhere down range while the range is hot. The staff is at fault for allowing someone down range and not being aware of the situation, the shooter is at fault for not knowing his target and/or refusing to participate until the range was clear and the injured party is at fault for going down range during a live fire event.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Now this I will agree with. :)

Could be a case of "we're the professionals, we know what we are doing" syndrome. Even though the catwalk was above the intended line of fire, there is always a chance of unintended discharge etc. There is NO reason for anyone to be anywhere down range while the range is hot. The staff is at fault for allowing someone down range and not being aware of the situation, the shooter is at fault for not knowing his target and/or refusing to participate until the range was clear and the injured party is at fault for going down range during a live fire event.

Top Bottom