• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:
    While I'm against forcing electric vehicles on society, I have nothing against electric vehicles themselves. I think the electric vehicles are viable now, I just don't think the infrastructure is ready yet. Also, I'm opposed to tax credits for buying these things. If they can't survive the market without a crutch, they're not there yet. I think right now they are viable without the tax credits. If people can afford a $80K truck, they can afford most EV's without subsidies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think the electric vehicles are viable now, I just don't think the infrastructure is ready yet.
    If the infrastructure isn't viable, then neither are the vehicles in any practical sense. I think someone else already posted that it's like building a house and then trying to slide the foundation under it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think the electric vehicles are viable now*, I just don't think the infrastructure is ready yet. Also, I'm opposed to tax credits for buying these things. If they can't survive the market without a crutch, they're not there yet. I think right now they are viable without the tax credits. If people can afford a $80K truck, they can afford most EV's without subsidies.
    *Lifestyle and expectation dependent.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sure. If all you need is a grocery getter or a commuter in the city, EVs are fine for that. If you want to show it off, impress your friends, it can do that too. As you expand the role beyond those, they’re less viable.
    Exactly. It will be interesting to see how the satisfaction rates hold up for those that spend 50 weeks of the year within 1/2 - 1 hour drive of their homes, where they can conveniently recharge every night and/or have free recharging at work decide to take that EV on a family, interstate vacation.

Beastmodeski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm sure in the near future people wont even know how to drive, just type/speak a destination and off you go. Along with certain entities with the ability to turn you off or limit you when they choose.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Exactly. It will be interesting to see how the satisfaction rates hold up for those that spend 50 weeks of the year within 1/2 - 1 hour drive of their homes, where they can conveniently recharge every night and/or have free recharging at work decide to take that EV on a family, interstate vacation.
    Well, my coworker who has a Tesla opined on that. He said it went okay. Just okay. They planned meals around recharges. So the wait wasn’t that bad. This was before Tesla expanded their superchargers. Or whatever they call them. I think I recall asking him after a later vacation if he took the tesla? And he said no, they took his wife’s car.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Have you ever planned meals around proximity to a gas station? No? Me either. :nuts:
    It’s about priorities. If the novelty of taking a trip in an electric car makes everything else worth it, then you’ll do it. If not, you won’t. But that prioritization is getting easier as technology develops. They’ll work out the battery energy density. They’ll work out charging time. They’ll work out the issues with the power grid handling it.

Saying they’re not fully viable now is something that I think represents reality quite well. That’s today’s reality. Eventually the problems with EVs will fade away. I think within 10 years, most new cars will be EV’s and sometime between they’re gonna have to deal with the grid. I also think the ICE will be in service for decades, but will fade out. Of course that’s if we don’t have progressive ideologues and cronies creating a corporate led crony totalitarian society.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If the novelty of taking a trip in an electric car makes everything else worth it, then you’ll do it. If not, you won’t.
    For me, it won't. Ever. Period, full stop. By the time the grid is upgraded to the point that EVs are practical, I suspect that I'll be too old to drive.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For me, it won't. Ever. Period, full stop. By the time the grid is upgraded to the point that EVs are practical, I suspect that I'll be too old to drive.
    Never say never, but I don’t see myself looking to replace my truck in the 15 or 20 (hopefully) useful years I have left. Well, unless the powers that be make it impossible to use. By then I don’t think I’ll be driving. The wife will be needing a new car in the next few years. Maybe. We’ll see.

Top Bottom