• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I was in the Anderson city building today, and noticed the doors still had the no weapons signs on them. I was in the county courthouse (across the street) prior to this, so I had left my pistol locked in my car, so it was not an issue for me at the time. There are no metal detectors, and to the best of my knowledge no court rooms in the building.

My question is.. how would one best go about getting the city on board with the new Indiana laws that took effect last month?
    Would a call/email to the mayor be appropriate, or would contacting one of the city council members be more effective?

Am I correct in this application of the law? I rarely go into this building, and I likely wont be back for any reason in several more years, but I would like to do my part in eliminating all the victim disarmament zones that I can.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Email both the mayor and city council members. The mayor is usually president of the city council. Let them know that SEA 292 prohibits municipalities from prohibiting firearms on their property, unless it's a courthouse. If the city building has some kind of city court in it, they'd still be good with their ban.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    IF you are sure there are no detention rooms or courtrooms in the building then the only other legit thing I can think of to prohibit you from carrying would be if there were a LICENSED day care facility in it. I don't think you would have a problem simply asking the police chief why the sign is still there. Remember, they are liable for damages if they violate the new laws.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If i remember right, there is a city courtroom there for traffic court and such. (don't ask how i know...it only cost $125 and 2 points)

That was part of my question. I was under the impression that the courtroom had been moved to the new police station, but I am not that familiar with either building.:dunno:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Ive been hoping to see you weigh in on this Kirk, your advise is usually pretty sound.

I believe that the map in this link answers my question about the city courts location. The location that is marked as the city utilities office (between 7th&8th st. The judges office is in the new police station, south on main st from the other government buildings, but there is nothing but a PO box for the city court.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks, 45, years ago I was over at Elmwood city court on an OWS but have not been to Madison County or Anderson City Court.

Do we have an allied attorney there that can send the Anderson city attorney a letter?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It has been a couple of years since i have seen the inside of the city court , so it may have moved since then...YMMV

I have never (knocking on wood) had a ticket from the city department, but my friends that have still went to edgewood or elwoood city court.

I think I will try and give one of the city councilmen a call as a first step, to see if a polite conversation will get anywhere with this.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have never (knocking on wood) had a ticket from the city department, but my friends that have still went to edgewood or elwoood city court.

I think I will try and give one of the city councilmen a call as a first step, to see if a polite conversation will get anywhere with this.

WOW! an Anderson City ticket got them sent to Elwood?!? That doesn't sound right. I live in Edgewood, so I am positive that there is a court there (all the Lapel tickets get adjudicated there)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not too long ago there was an instance where a DUI picked up by a state trooper in Anderson landed him in lockup in Elwood. I think that they do this sometimes as an extra jab to the ribs when they hand you the ticket.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    When the totally constitutionalseat-belt laws took effect, I had to pay 3, all at the new police station.

Staties in Anderson can send you about anywhere. Cousin has gotten speeding tickets issued and had to report to Edgewood, Pendleton and Elwood

Top Bottom