• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Had an unnerving experience in a local gun shop yesterday; I stopped in at an area gun shop yesterday to pick up some ammo, and overheard an older fellow complaining about another area retailer before asking about Kimber pistols. The clerk showed him several as I was making my selection and walking over to the counter to pay the tab, and I noticed as I was standing by the register that he had pointed the muzzle right at me. As a reflex, I took a quick step to the rear and got out of the way of the gun, but this guy continued to wave it around in a pretty reckless fashion as he looked at it from all angles. The clerk saw me move out of the bore line, and had to know that his customer was breaking a cardinal gun handling rule, but said nothing to him. While I'm sure he wanted to preserve the sale of the pistol, I thought he should have reminded the gentleman about muzzle discipline. As a result, I've lost a lot of respect for this shop, and I'm a bit wary about going in there again. Am I overreacting, or what?

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Safety first. If that is how they want to run their business, so be it. If you are not comfortable with the actions of the other patrons, or the lack of action from the sales staff - in the interest of a sale - then I would say don't shop there anymore. However, don't just quit going there - make a point of it. Call the manager and inform him of your decision..... there are other shops willing to take your money in the area. :twocents:

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    I have never hesitated to politely ask someone to please not point the gun at me. The guy doing that might be a newbie or they might be careless, either way I ask. Unfortunately only about 1 in 5 shops actually reinforce the rules with customers...that is disappointing but it is also dangerous. Be nice, be firm, educate. If it doesn't work then walk.

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    Agreed, make a phone call telling them why you feel like taking your business elsewhere. If you just stop going, they will have no idea why. Bring it to their attention, at the very least.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It's more funner (when in discussion about a rifle), the sales guy sweeps your chest and head with it.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I've had this to happen a few times usually at a gun show. It's doubtful if a dealer will jepradize a sale because of it. My usual reaction
    is to make a show of getting out from in front of it. Hope the dope who had did it gets embarresed enough to learn something from it. I doubt if it would do any good to say anything to the dealer, they want to make sales.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Why not take the opportunity to teach the newb something? "sir/maam, please don't muzzle me". Why wait for management to say something...sheesh! Man up a little bit if it bothers you so much (as it should)!

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    First, I've never felt endangered in a gun shop. It's remotely rare that any clerk would ever hand any gun over the counter without clearing it. Second, my beef would be with the careless customer, not the clerk or shop.

Top Bottom