• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rg71656

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2021
    I have been buying several rounds of ammo for all my guns. My question is how much of shelf life does it have stored in my gun safe with a dehumidifier rod alwsys going.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Korean War 30 carbine still pops up every now and then. I found ammo in the Middle East when I deployed that was dated to the 80’s. The resistance in Afghanistan started the war with ammo and guns they had buried from when the soviets left.

a long long time even in bad storage conditions

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I have some with 66 and 68 headstamps. Shot some this past summer and they all went bang. I'd agree with nip and snorko, longer than you have if theyre kept in a dehumidified safe.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A friend took year old carry SD ammo and put it in a sock and tied it shut, then when washing jeans he ran the sock of ammo through the washing machine, a total of 8 times. Every singe round went BANG!

Although tragically my friend was shot by a wild bullet when he ran them through the dryer. LOL. Just a joke.

I would never worry about quality ammo being stored long term

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    To echo everyone else : decades and/or longer than you'll live.

Quality component properly stored at least have the POTENTIAL to last decades. The oldest 30-06 I've shot was...50s US headstamp, I think.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    To echo everyone else : decades and/or longer than you'll live.

Quality component properly stored at least have the POTENTIAL to last decades. The oldest 30-06 I've shot was...50s US headstamp, I think.
    I've shot a bunch of late 40s-early 50s 7.62x54r, every round fired and it wasn't the greatest stuff even when new. Have heard of folks shooting early 20th century 303 and 30-06 and it was still good.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have some 100 year old Mauser ammo that still goes bang every time. As long as it's stored properly ammo lasts a long, long time.

Also, not a big deal but it's life span and not spand. Unless your talking about how long spandex lasts. :stickpoke:

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    A friend took year old carry SD ammo and put it in a sock and tied it shut, then when washing jeans he ran the sock of ammo through the washing machine, a total of 8 times. Every singe round went BANG!

Although tragically my friend was shot by a wild bullet when he ran them through the dryer. LOL. Just a joke.

I would never worry about quality ammo being stored long term

This reassures me as I’ve washed quite a few hydra shoks on accident that have found their way back into my EDC’s magazine. I always wondered if they’d fire or not.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This reassures me as I’ve washed quite a few hydra shoks on accident that have found their way back into my EDC’s magazine. I always wondered if they’d fire or not.

so - you're potentially betting your life and/or the life of a family member on it? Am I reading this correctly?

Carrying a firearm is an exercise in risk mitigation. Carrying ammo that you wonder about is the opposite of risk mitigation - it's adding risk. Why do that?

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    so - you're potentially betting your life and/or the life of a family member on it? Am I reading this correctly?

Carrying a firearm is an exercise in risk mitigation. Carrying ammo that you wonder about is the opposite of risk mitigation - it's adding risk. Why do that?

I currently lack the amount of ammo or funds it takes to annually shoot off old carry ammo and replace it with a fresher batch. I’d rather have old ammo than no ammo if the situation were to arise where I’d need it. With that being said I’m not much of a gambler, because I’ve got bad luck. The hydra shoks that were subjected to a wet environment are in one of 6 spare mags I rotate depending on what I’m wearing or where I’m going. With most defensive shootings not relying solely on a reload I believe my family and I will be fine. Thank you for your concern.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have fired several hundred rounds of 1917 and 1918 dated 30-06 and 8mm and it all worked flawlessly. I have also shot over 50,000 rounds of 8mm Polish, German, and Czech WWII 8mm, and US WWII 30-06 with ZERO duds. I did have a batch of 40’s dated FCPO headstamped ammo that was ALL either duds or had about a 2-5 second hangfire. It all depends on the manufacturer, and how it was stored.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A few years back CMP sold some black tip 30-06 that went back to the 40's (maybe 30's but not sure) and it reportedly was working fine.

Top Bottom