• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do you actually know anyone that hunts in this manner. I do. They have trophys. They pay the freight. It is an industry in an area with no industry. It is controlled with fees and permits much more stringent than you would think. When the animal being hunted is brought down the guides field strip the meat. It is dolled out locally. It does feed people so please....The rest is packaged up to be shipped and there are fees for that as well. Once again an industry where no real industry exists. Then the taxidermists fees. Some are done local. Then shipped to the owners in the states. All of this is legal and above board.
    I have no opinion pro or con on this. It is your money and time. It supports a local revenue stream that feeds many.

Also the terrorists love to go and pet the big kitty's.

zY8qvRg.jpg

xbiOfVJ.jpg

I actually had a former co-worker go to SA for one of these hunts. He enjoyed himself, but given that he is an actual real hunter, who has tracks, kills, and dresses his game, he kinda thought his safari was more like "Busch Gardens tour where you get to shoot things." So he took it for what it was. His wife got him the trip.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I actually had a former co-worker go to SA for one of these hunts. He enjoyed himself, but given that he is an actual real hunter, who has tracks, kills, and dresses his game, he kinda thought his safari was more like "Busch Gardens tour where you get to shoot things." So he took it for what it was. His wife got him the trip.

I would venture to guess that, as with most things, there are significant variations between providers. I once worked with a man who both built custom rifles and hunted African game. In his hunts it came down to a pretty even fight when all said and done. As he explained, starting with my question regarding magazine capacity, with a charging lion, you have time for two, maybe three shots if you are both agile and lucky, making the difference between returning home with a trophy or staying in Africa as lion crap.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I would venture to guess that, as with most things, there are significant variations between providers. I once worked with a man who both built custom rifles and hunted African game. In his hunts it came down to a pretty even fight when all said and done. As he explained, starting with my question regarding magazine capacity, with a charging lion, you have time for two, maybe three shots if you are both agile and lucky, making the difference between returning home with a trophy or staying in Africa as lion crap.

Thats the way it should be done. That's sport.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hmmm, rare "black giraffe", I don't find that species or subspecies listed on the Wikipedia for giraffes.

Depending on how one divides the giraffe, there are either 4 species or 1. And there are as many as 9 sub-species.

https://giraffeconservation.org/faqs/

Cool critter. I could not bring myself to raise a rifle on one unless in self-defense but understand the need to harvest the surplus.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Any place local one could pick up a nice half pound giraffe cheeseburger? Medium rare? Fresh onions and corn relish?

:drool:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not a rare animal, just a color phase of the common giraffe, which can range from very pale to very dark.

Successfully hunting a giraffe is about like trying to sneak up on someone in a 20' tall treestand, if the tree were mobile and could escape once you are spotted that is. They are capable of killing lions or humans with a well aimed kick and can be quite aggressive.

Putting an animal's life over a human's is pretty disturbing, IMO.

So if I'm reading you correctly (hopefully not) I've put the prey's life over the hunter? Just don't understand the need to hang a dead animal's body parts around my house. And I'm sure she made the noble gesture of "donating" the meat to the needy. After all we wouldn't want her to actually have a legitimate survival based need to kill the animal. Sneaking up on it? Not going to read the article, read too many of them but I'm guessing she took her shot from 100+yards out, hell you can damn near drive up to them in a jeep.

We're on opposite sides of the fence and as they say "Good fences make good neighbors"!:cheers:

To be clear though I'd rather see a dead human laying alongside the interstate than a dead animal. The human should know better.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hmmm, rare "black giraffe", I don't find that species or subspecies listed on the Wikipedia for giraffes.

Gotta write it that was so everyone says “wow, i’ve Never even HEARD of one and she killed it! :xmad:

if it’s rare it’s probably because they usually don’t live long enough to finish their color transformation. Perhaps they’d prefer the woman stalked a pregnant giraffe and performed a partial birth abortion on it?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So if I'm reading you correctly (hopefully not) I've put the prey's life over the hunter? Just don't understand the need to hang a dead animal's body parts around my house. And I'm sure she made the noble gesture of "donating" the meat to the needy. After all we wouldn't want her to actually have a legitimate survival based need to kill the animal. Sneaking up on it? Not going to read the article, read too many of them but I'm guessing she took her shot from 100+yards out, hell you can damn near drive up to them in a jeep.

We're on opposite sides of the fence and as they say "Good fences make good neighbors"!:cheers:

To be clear though I'd rather see a dead human laying alongside the interstate than a dead animal. The human should know better.

So do you think of people who hunt deer and turkey and most who have mounts made as bad people too?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just don't understand the need to hang a dead animal's body parts around my house. And I'm sure she made the noble gesture of "donating" the meat to the needy. After all we wouldn't want her to actually have a legitimate survival based need to kill the animal. Sneaking up on it? Not going to read the article, read too many of them but I'm guessing she took her shot from 100+yards out, hell you can damn near drive up to them in a jeep.

Who cares if you understand the "need" to hunt or have trophies on the wall? Lots of people don't understand your "need" to own anything more modern than a flintlock pistol. How many times have you defended your life with a firearm? Enough to justify your "need" for one? If she's following the law then you don't need to understand anything other than freedom has value, even when people use theirs to do things you may not like.

You don't want to hunt? Don't hunt. Having hunted myself I have no doubt that those who never have absolutely don't "get it" and likely never will.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Who cares if you understand the "need" to hunt or have trophies on the wall? Lots of people don't understand your "need" to own anything more modern than a flintlock pistol. How many times have you defended your life with a firearm? Enough to justify your "need" for one? If she's following the law then you don't need to understand anything other than freedom has value, even when people use theirs to do things you may not like.

You don't want to hunt? Don't hunt. Having hunted myself I have no doubt that those who never have absolutely don't "get it" and likely never will.

This exactly!!!!! The I-don't-understand-it-so-it-must-be-bad mentality is precisely what drives those who would do away with the Constitution and disarm all of us.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always enjoyed hunting, though places like Africa are more than I want to spend. Deer and turkeys are plentiful right here on my own ground, but I would like to hunt out west someday.

Top Bottom