• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    To complicated to start...every home should have a minimum of 2 weeks canned food and water for every person in their house and those who might show up...even pets...dogs are very valuable for security. A non electric cabin opener. Crank radios and flask light with crank or solar cell phone charger and a first aid kid. And if nothing more than some calorie bars water and the crake radio flash light cell charger and first aid kits in your cars ...one foe each person, your office, and of course a weapon . If you. Are not fully prepped these items would at least help until the goverment sets up their camps and feeding stations.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    "Why isn't anyone helping us?!?!" crazy people. I also like how mean the survivalist guy was - man, you gotta share at least some. I laugh when people think they can hold off the entire world by themselves.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    "Why isn't anyone helping us?!?!" crazy people. I also like how mean the survivalist guy was - man, you gotta share at least some. I laugh when people think they can hold off the entire world by themselves.

You can make a home quite defendable with the right tools and tactics. That said, gun fire will always attract attention whether it's more scavengers or government. The government, of course will just continuously send waves of unlimited resources in until they win, but for the majority of ordinary citizens you can make it not worth the effort a lot of times. It just depends on a lot of things, just like any of these scenario based exercises.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I watched it, thought alot of the same things you all have already mentioned.

I would bet most sheeple who watched it would say, it's just a movie and still don't have anything in the way of preps.

TJ

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Caught it yesterday on its encore presentation. Thought it was okay, some parts were laughable, but think it might convince a few people to start stockpiling a few items to make it through a week.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth

This whole movie was to show mistakes from all parties in said movie. From those who don't prepare to those who do prepare but with a family lone wolf approach. Some may see this type of movie as a spread fear propaganda for sales etc.
    But the reality is this is a very real event we as a society are setting our self's up for, in my opinion its not if but when. We have become a tech dependent society for everything how long can kids or young adults go with out the smart phones , game systems , internet , etc. with out becoming angry. How many businesses have all your information on computers and have no hard copy's or teach workers to do hardcopy's. How many banks have all there customer amounts and information in computers only no hard copy exist unless printed from said computer. How fast is our power grid updating with the tech world, why are most transformers made in China , how many transformers are in backorder call research you would be shocked.

It's scary how unprepared we are to such a event and how modern people are losing basic living skill set and are lost or don't know what to do with out there tech living skill set or city or governmental supplied survival needs such as : water , trash removal , food buying hubs (food stores), heat for homes, sewer waste, etc. You may ask well with all this Tech will have it has what it needs protect it self from solar flares , EMP, cyber attacks Etc. The answer is no the reason is simple money (cost). They would roll the dice of chance then spend the cost of a safety or update to their product that has a slim chance to happen or believe it can never happen in the first place . Research on how many reports of commission to congress have been sent warning of such a event can and will happen if systems , power grids are not updated , so far all have been ignored . Again for same reasons cost, roll the dice or this can never happen. The plan facts are we as a society are setting our self up for a perfect storm for having every thing we do in a Tech digit world from books money health care you name it . It's all around us and more and more are dependent on it for basic living with out a thought what would happen if it was all off tomorrow.:twocents:

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, I just tried to watch American Blackout on NatGeo here in Terrible Hate and Time Warner Cable sucks hind teet. 767 is unviewable on my box. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to figure it's been out a while. Maybe it's been uploaded to YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6KTH4XwdMk And it HAS! Yippee! Let's watch and live blog it.

More links to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PreJvrljihI, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76zrGQohb5w
    All timestamps below are relative to the first link, in case there's any discrepencies.

I was almost about to excoriate the black guy in Philly at 0:02:25, well, the script writing behind his story. He showed a computer screen to prove "no internet", then showed the computer case itself, repeatedly pushing its power button to show, "computer doesn't work". And I thought, hey, wait a minute. What was with the computer screen he just showed? Then I realized that that was a laptop screen and it all made sense again.

Gemma is the quintessential airhead bimbo. "What are the odds that Gemma is going to explode the entire apartment by pressing the wrong button?" she said upon opening the breaker box. Does any electrician on INGO even know a way to blow up an entire home by flipping breakers? Assume the average single family residence or single family apartment. Assume everything is in good fettle. What, if anything, could flipping circuit breakers break once the power came back on?

And then, at 0:10:45, she wonderously finds herself locked out of her apartment because she didn't think to grab her carved slivver of metal on her way out the door to go find some info on the black out, but did remember to grab her electronic keyfob! Electronic locks require electricity to function, people! May people like Gemma die quickly in a SHTF scenario so they don't get in the way of people who know a doorknob from a hole in the ground.

Her boyfriend is no better. Documenting all of the things that don't work for a prospective lawsuit against the building's owners. They eat spoiled caviar and he gets sick while Gemma's going on about getting a piece of cake at the corner store after complaining on day one about not having any money to go get a latte.

0:49:00, he has finally learned how truly precarious his 46th floor apartment in Manhattan is when he's mugged for a can of peaches he'd just stolen from a store himself. He winds up beating his mugger, who'd claimed to be mugging him for the peaches for his hungry kids, true or false? does it matter?, to death with the same can of peaches. 0:51:40, he manages to stab himself in the hand with a large kitchen knife trying to open the can of peaches, because they have no manual can opener. His ilk are truly not long for this world.

1:01:30, Gemma's crying over her bloodied boyfriend, "Why is nobody helping us? What are we supposed to do?" Since you didn't prepare, honey, the most probable answer to that question is, "Die." VJ the vlogger was better prepared than you. 1:04:55, her story ends with a looting/rape gang attack.

0:11:39, Molly's dad thinks ATMs would work in a blackout and has to discover otherwise through experimentation.

0:13:13, VJ in Austin using the last of his power to live vlog the blackout. *shakes head* 0:46:34, the little doorknob finds his mom's revolver in her closet. His mom is a nurse who left the night of day 1. He's been alone for days when he finds it and goes all Hollywood BS with it.

I really dig Hank and Hank Jr.'s videoes. I don't know that after discovering that Jason was giving away food in the night, that I wouldn't have put a bullet to him. At least he seems to have gotten a smidgeon wiser by the end.

The ending of most of the stories seems to have been too cutesy, all lollipops and rainbows for my taste. Far too few of their stories ended in blood and death, which makes it far less realistic than I was hoping for.

I so have to wonder why Hank didn't have some IR goggles/NVGs in order to properly track his attackers back to his borders and maybe nip that attack in the bud. There were not too many attackers come morning. He detected them too late. He again should have been able to get out of the bunker in time to hold the attackers off and not let them find the fuel in the first place. And what kind of bunker-down plan allows for fuel above ground to be found, taken, and cripple the whole compound?

A better end to Hank's story would be if Jason got off a lucky shot on Hank's captor, nicking Hank's shoulder in the process, and proceeded with all of the other armed intruders. Hank grabs his own gun back and joins in. They mow their way through about half of the marauders before Jason realizes his phone in his pocket is vibrating.

Despite it's shortcomings, if I had a high school science class to teach, I'd make that mandatory viewing, even if it took a couple of days out of the regular curriculum to do it. I'd sit up front facing the class to make sure none of the squeamish ones tried to bury their heads, literally.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it was a very thought provoking movie. A few first thoughts:

Working cash would solve a lot of problems, at least early on.

The out of control house fires with no water to fight them were a real eye opener to those who put the majority of their planning into bugging in.

The prepper guy was way, way ready prepper wise, yet his blatant lack of tactical/firearms training ultimately brought him down. There are so many ways that guy's situation could have worked out with just a few educated moves. The first being dropping the boyfriend off on the way.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Some of the wisest words I've ever heard.."never believe anything that comes out of Hollywood"... haven't seen it yet, maybe I will if I find the time. It could always serve as a 'bad example'. Not fake , hundreds will die in the 'big city' in an extended blackout, or any big emergency... FEMA had 100,000 on site within three days of Katrina, and it still was FUBAR. Imagine real long term SHTF and no relief....

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I fully expect every bad ending shown in American Blackout to come true if/when America experiences a societal meltdown. Every bad ending and much, much worse. In my opinion, for the potential to be Hell on Earth that America WROL represents, American Blackout is a damn children's fairy tale.

Top Bottom