• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think he really is just that stupid. I mean, who would pay $1100 for that pile of ****?

No purple font necessary.

Maybe our friendly neighborhood ATF agent figures that someone who doesn't know better than overpaying like that wouldn't know better than buying an illegal weapon.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    to make it legal would you just have to buy a sbr stamp? and would that be just on the upper? i dont know the laws as I am new to the sport.

To make it legal it has to go through a Class 3 dealer, if assembled as an SBR. The stamp is $200, and it would be on the lower, not the upper.

Start by reading the stickied threads here.

But yes to own a SBR all you have to do is fill out the apropriate paperwork and wait the inappropriate amount of time. But you have to go through a dealer.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Post has been removed. Was it fully auto or something? I don't think drum mags are illegal, are they? Looks like it was likely the short barrel.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I heard back from him! YAY!

Here is the transcript;

him:
    Then how was I able to buy the upper at the gunshot without getting into any trouble or providing no more than an I D.. im a veteran of operation iraqi freedom and I operation enduring freedom.. just a gun lover and have an expense and have to part with you the panther .. seriously why is it a problem with it taken apart?

me:
    Because the short barrel is for the pistol version. A rifle cannot have a barrel shorter than 16 inches, and a pistol cannot have a stock. You are allowed to have a short barreled upper, you just can't put it on a rifle lower. The lower receiver must be registered as an SBR, or it must be a pistol. The AR pistols do not have a buttstock, just a buffer tube.

When buying a short barreled upper, it is assumed that you will use it legally. It is not regulated. That's why you were able to buy it without an issue. You cannot sell these items together. Simply possessing these items can be construed as intent to assemble, which is a felony. If you must sell it, piece it out. Sell the upper, and the lower separate. Otherwise, you might end up with some fancy bars on your windows.
    cleardot.gif

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I heard back from him! YAY!

Here is the transcript;

him:
    Then how was I able to buy the upper at the gunshot without getting into any trouble or providing no more than an I D.. im a veteran of operation iraqi freedom and I operation enduring freedom.. just a gun lover and have an expense and have to part with you the panther .. seriously why is it a problem with it taken apart?

me:
    Because the short barrel is for the pistol version. A rifle cannot have a barrel shorter than 16 inches, and a pistol cannot have a stock. You are allowed to have a short barreled upper, you just can't put it on a rifle lower. The lower receiver must be registered as an SBR, or it must be a pistol. The AR pistols do not have a buttstock, just a buffer tube.

When buying a short barreled upper, it is assumed that you will use it legally. It is not regulated. That's why you were able to buy it without an issue. You cannot sell these items together. Simply possessing these items can be construed as intent to assemble, which is a felony. If you must sell it, piece it out. Sell the upper, and the lower separate. Otherwise, you might end up with some fancy bars on your windows.
    cleardot.gif
    See that's the problem with these stupid BATF regs.

If this is truly someone that doesn't know the rules they could be caught up on some serious charges that they were not aware of.

I'm not totally sure what this guy's deal truly is but I give you credit for taking the initiative and following up with this to potentially help steer him clear from making a really bad mistake no matter how innocent his intentions were.

At the very least if it is an ATF sting type deal then they know that some of us out here are paying attention.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    See that's the problem with these stupid BATF regs.

If this is truly someone that doesn't know the rules they could be caught up on some serious charges that they were not aware of.

I'm not totally sure what this guy's deal truly is but I give you credit for taking the initiative and following up with this to potentially help steer him clear from making a really bad mistake no matter how innocent his intentions were.

At the very least if it is an ATF sting type deal then they know that some of us out here are paying attention.

Exactly. He might just be unaware, but ignorance of the law is no excuse for ATF.

If he is an ATF agent, I hope he learned something. We'll see if this goes on any further.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Heard back from him again. Here goes;

Him:
    Yeah I really appreciate it.. I've actually got a guy with a class three license who is buying it.. he had me take the bolt out and I've since taken the upper to my parents house until its sold

Me:
    Good deal. You can get into a lot of trouble over this kind of stuff. Ignorance of the law is no excuse when it comes to the ATF. They'll take you ass down over something you never heard about, and ruin your life for it.

You created quite a stir on INGO. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/218488-alright_who_is_it.html

Check out the discussion. We're still not sure if you're an undercover ATF guy on a sting operation.
    cleardot.gif

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Quite sad that this "wonderful" country of "freedom" will put you in jail for 25 years for owning something you can buy over the counter at any gun store or gun show, or online for that matter... Without requiring paper work.

Someone really needs to beat the drums on abolishing the SBR laws, for reasons shown in this thread, it's just too easy for any normal reasonable person to commit a felony unknowingly. And taking people's advice on the law from an internet forum is usually not a good idea anyway, which is normally the only place people would find out about things like this.

Top Bottom