• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I see white and gold, so does my wife. I can see how it would maybe appear as a light shade of blue in place of the white, but not black! I've looked at it on my phone and the laptop, and it looks the same on both.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The problem is that not all computer video cards and screens show colors identically. So, it's probably not your eyes that are at fault.

The computer each responder is using probably has some variance, and there's no way to know how accurately the camera that took the original image rendered the color. Was it an expensive digital camera, a high end 35mm, or a cell phone?

Too many variables to know for sure. From THIS computer (a laptop, which is different than the other computers, tablets, and cell phones in the household), the dress appears to be white with 'metallic' gold striping, like 'gold leather' which, IMO, always appears more 'copper' or 'bronze' in color. Though with the shadow tinting, it could easily be a periwinkle blue or a pale lilac. :dunno:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's not even a matter of different computers. Here, we were all looking at the same image on the same screen, seeing it not just a little differently, but dramatically so. I see white with gold, but I could see a very pale blue because of shading. M'lady sees electric blue and black. I even moved my head around because LCDs can have some chromatic effects at certain angles, but I can't see anything but white and gold. Googled it, and apparently it's a thing. There was a picture of a dress that was bloody well blue and black, and we both saw it that way, but she insists the white and gold one looks almost exactly like it. Apparently it goes about 24% blue/black and 76% white/gold. This is going to be interesting.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    You blue and black'ers have your computer monitors set wrong... and it's a bad picture.

It's really a white and gold dress photographed from a small aperture camera with too much back-light combined with poor white balance causing the gold lace to look brown which shows blackish on screens with poorly set contrast while the main white fabric comes across with bluish tint because of the over saturated backlight which is made worse with LED backlit screens which have a blue tint to their "white" or LCD's with incorrect color settings or "boosted" colors.

Or it's a blue and black dress shot with too high of an ISO or a crappy cellphone with poor flash correction...

Or it was altered in Photoshop.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I was seeing white and gold at first. Read something else for a while, look at other things then go back. Now it's looking blue. I'm sure my eyes are damaged from all the hairy women earlier though.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You blue and black'ers have your computer monitors set wrong... and it's a bad picture.

It's really a white and gold dress photographed from a small aperture camera with too much back-light combined with poor white balance causing the gold lace to look brown which shows blackish on screens with poorly set contrast while the main white fabric comes across with bluish tint because of the over saturated backlight which is made worse with LED backlit screens which have a blue tint to their "white" or LCD's with incorrect color settings or "boosted" colors.

Or it's a blue and black dress shot with too high of an ISO or a crappy cellphone with poor flash correction...

Or it was altered in Photoshop.

That's what I was on about, here we were all looking at the same image on the same monitor at the same time but seeing different things. There's obviously more to it than video or monitor settings.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Weird, the picture posted in the OP was White and Gold/Tan, but the pics I see on cell phone screen caps are Black and Blue? I haven't even drank today?

Top Bottom