• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You blue and black'ers have your computer monitors set wrong... and it's a bad picture.

It's really a white and gold dress photographed from a small aperture camera with too much back-light combined with poor white balance causing the gold lace to look brown which shows blackish on screens with poorly set contrast while the main white fabric comes across with bluish tint because of the over saturated backlight which is made worse with LED backlit screens which have a blue tint to their "white" or LCD's with incorrect color settings or "boosted" colors.

Or it's a blue and black dress shot with too high of an ISO or a crappy cellphone with poor flash correction...

Or it was altered in Photoshop.

Only problem with this is that some people are looking at the same screen at the same time.

I see white and gold in the picture

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Why is this on every website and news show this morning? Nothing else to talk about in the world?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    White and gold. If you see anything else, get your eyes checked.

Turns out it really was blue and black. I don't see it, but I don't see gravity (or China) though I know they are there..and there.

There are more things in heaven and earth Horatio than are dreamt of in your philosohy...May I call you Horatio...:):

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If that picture is of a black and blue dress, I think the camera is crap. To me, it looks like a a white and gold dress with a blue camera flash. I opened the picture in ms paint and used the eye dropper. The white is a blue tint, but the gold is gold.
    Hue:27 red:130
    sat:57 green 114
    lum:99 Blue: 80

So what's the gag? I don't FB.

The Holstein pattern dress behind it looks black and white

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The thing is, there's a picture. Some of us (most, actually) see the colors as white and gold. Some of us see it as blue and black. M'lady actually described it as electric blue, which is a pretty bold color. The picture may have been taken with a crap camera, or it may have been chopped, but the point is, two people can look at the same picture at the same time on the same monitor and see two so dramatically different color schemes. I don't care if the manufacturer claims it was originally blue and black. The picture is perceived at wild variation. In fact, m'lady said she saw the white/gold briefly, but then it went back to blue/black. I can't get blue/black out of it at all. There's something else going on here, and all this crap about monitors, video cards, white balance, saturation, RGB levels etc. is no part of it. I want to know what it is, and the explanation on Wired is woefully inadequate.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just don't see how you can have a picture on the monitor, and two people sitting next to each other can disagree so much on what they're seeing. Engineerwise it just doesn't make sense. Are there perhaps some RGB values that people respond to differently, perhaps due to a genetic marker? I know m'lady likes broccoli, but to me it tastes like rotting sewage, and the gene for that has been identified. I suspect there may be others for, for example, cranberries and cilantro. This thing just has me fascinated.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The first few times I saw it it looked white and gold to me, but when I clicked on this thread, for some reason it looks black and blue to me now... my brain hurts now

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've seen this picture a hundred times already, and every time, I've seen it as purely blue and black… until the image in the OP. I finally saw the white and gold dress (some) people have been talking about. The Blaze has an image that clearly demonstrates the color perception issue at hand. This May Be the Explanation That Puts to Rest the Great Debate Over #TheDress | TheBlaze.com If you perceive the dress being in shadow, you perceive the true color of the dress as much lighter, and think it's white/gold. If you perceive the image to be washed out, you perceive the true color of the dress as much darker, and think it's blue/black, which is what it actually is.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    From the picture (which isn't the best) I would say generally white with a gold trim. It looks also like it might have be very light blue with gold trim. Bad lighting...:dunno:

Caveat: Since I will not be wearing it I do NOT care, but I hope I answered the question.

Regards,

Doug

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Actually, you and I are seeing about the same thing. I see it as gold and white.

This is what I see.

I'm colorblind. I found out one day in the lobby of a doctors office. There was a chart that had a bunch of circles made of dots. There are supposed to be numbers in the dots, I'm told.

I say Pink. Or green. Or both.

I can not see the numbers in the circles either. It's something to do with the green and red together. I cannot see red locate paint in grass either. But I can see red by itself or green or blue, I have a hard time with light purple though.

Top Bottom