• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

Occupied
    Decided on 2K.
    A neighbor noticed I was in the shop and stopped by to see what I was working on.
    He said he was spraying some motorcycle tins today, and could spray these for me.
    He was spraying gloss, but said after I knock off the fuzzies, he would squirt them with some matte.
    The color really came out.

1664057627553.png

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I suggest you be really cautious mixing talc and CA to flatten it and try it on a piece of scrap first. My experience is that high surface area materials, e.g. sawdust cause the CA to setup very quickly. I also know that baking soda & CA sets up quickly to form a white plastic/ivory like material. Would hate to see you mix up a thick mix and it turn into a bird poop "feature" on your nice grips (or other project)!!!
    That's an interesting trick/technique with the CA and baking soda. Thanks for sharing.

I don't use CA a lot in the shop, maybe on occasion when I need to mix up some wood filler. It's almost like using bondo, in that when it kicks and hardens...it's Right Now! That has happened to me more than I would like to admit.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    One issue I’ve seen is if it’s exposed to moisture it will turn cloudy.
    Never had this happen. Made a short starter for a muzzle loader and finished it with super glue. Have used it several years and last spring shot in a humid/rain storm at Friendship with it no problem.
    On reflection maybe it is because it is fully sealed with glue. No moisture can get underneath the finish.

Don

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Never had this happen. Made a short starter for a muzzle loader and finished it with super glue. Have used it several years and last spring shot in a humid/rain storm at Friendship with it no problem.
    On reflection maybe it is because it is fully sealed with glue. No moisture can get underneath the finish.

Don
    I’ve got a pen I turned that got water spilled on it, it’s really cloudy. Maybe the fully sealed thing is the key?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Got tired of my old, cobbled together workbench and decided to make a proper bench for my needs. Has been sitting upside down on saw horses for a week until my godson could swing by and help me right it but now it is almost done! Just needs a bottom shelf and time to rock and roll (or plane and sand),

C458498B-D7AD-42B1-BEA6-3FF82D36A77B.jpeg F5C7EA3B-E3B4-4CA0-A3CF-3B0C44185A7E.jpeg D47D3F25-47B7-41CE-BFFB-D1A3F21BA488.jpeg 6D1CA744-DCCD-4317-BEA4-5F3AA7B9D52F.jpeg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Got tired of my old, cobbled together workbench and decided to make a proper bench for my needs. Has been sitting upside down on saw horses for a week until my godson could swing by and help me right it but now it is almost done! Just needs a bottom shelf and time to rock and roll (or plane and sand),

View attachment 226878 View attachment 226879 View attachment 226880 View attachment 226881

Oh wow .... that's a beautiful beast, Norm ! :wow:
    Smart to put wheels on it. That surface will definitely give you a super-flat surface for glue ups !

Lpherr

Occupied

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

View attachment 226878 View attachment 226879 View attachment 226880 View attachment 226881
    Awesome! I built one very similar to yours a couple years ago, it’s amazing how much a proper bench will help you!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

Lpherr

Occupied
    I took a set of grips to work, to show a couple of hunters, and word got around.
    I had a woman approach me, and asked if I was the one with the grips. Being a bit apprehensive,
    and not sure of her position within the company, I told her yes, but they were only to show.

She asked to see them, and proceeded to inform me that it was her fathers birthday this coming weekend,
    and even though he would love a set of these, she had an idea. As she began to explain her idea,
    I told her that I had the exact idea come to me in a dream. Coincidence?

I rendered this, and waiting on her response to cut.
    It's simply the grip, enlarged to 16" in length, and will be hung on the wall in her fathers office.

1664384316945.png

Top Bottom