• ...and so much more!
  • Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    About 3 weeks ago saw a small algae bloom along sides of channel. Few days ago saw a small bloom along shoreline of bay/lake. Today mowing yards saw this.

8B34893C-A2A4-4DA4-8B7E-07CC30B30240.jpeg

Standing on end of vinyl sea wall along channel - channel/flowing water on left. Bay/lake water - glacial rock shoreline - on right.

458E075B-3D0D-42B4-BC5C-330AEBC1C3F3.jpeg

Can see the stream of fresh water looking back. Severe areas of algae are so thick don’t think a fish could see 6”
    7EA52C68-BF3A-4D95-97FF-1656C2C878AB.jpeg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Phosphorus and nitrogen add to algae blooms. I noticed nice thick, green grass right down to the water around you. After I talked with my brother about that he stopped fertilizing the lower half of his yard. It just washes into the lake, causing what you are seeing.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    The vast majority of phosphorus, nitrogen, etc. that enter the lake come from incoming water thru 2 inlets…this channel being 1. A large portion ( majority ? ) of that water is runoff of ag land. That is the source of of most incoming sediment and nutrients. Also the native soil here is loaded naturally with much more nutrients than that surrounding most lakes in this area.

My personal lawn care involves zero P and reduced amounts of N which are spoon fed in 7 small applications throughout the growing season using calibrated equipment.

It is impossible in my experience to totally avoid blooms, they naturally occur. I agree that man contributes in many ways and cases. If you could compare all aspects of water in this lake today compared to 50-60 years ago you would not know/believe it is the same body of water. This is due in large part to cooperation between gov’t, local land owners, our Lake Assoc. ( formed in ‘68 partly to address these issues ), and a very large local poultry company whose slaughtering plant at that time had a large amount of run off that carried blood, etc. The water quality, clarity, etc. here is rated net the top in IN. I have fished this lake since I was in grade school. Grew up on a farm and farmed as my occupation. Nutrients, run off, etc. and issues caused are not new to me.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Phosphorus and nitrogen add to algae blooms. I noticed nice thick, green grass right down to the water around you. After I talked with my brother about that he stopped fertilizing the lower half of his yard. It just washes into the lake, causing what you are seeing.
    The grass you see is not nearly of the quality you see in the picture. Surprised it looks that good. I seriously doubt 25% of the properties are actually fertilized. Some properties are sloped. Ours is flat and most excess water is contained in a low, almost holding pond like area, in the center of the property. Very little rain off. Yes excess N leaches but again our soil/subsoil is totally different than the sand/gravel of most our lakes and percolates differently.

Top Bottom