• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As soon as booze is brought up, it automatically follows that someone will start griping that 'we're gonna have a buncha wild drunks out there shooting the weather vane on top of the clubhouse! No, no, no!' We hear the same thing if anyone on INGO mentions they've had even so much as a sip of liquor while carrying. It's ludicrous, ridiculous, and beyond hypocritical.

This is the same type of rhetoric that libtards always use, and it's just as dumb: 'If you let some guy just starting carrying a gun around at the shopping center or restaurant, we'll have a bunch of vigilante psychos shooting up the place! No, no, no!'

"Accident waiting to happen"? That's EXACTLY the same thing the left-loon, anti-gun, libtards say about YOU carrying a firearm in public.

Even worse, these same 'nay-sayers' will fervently post their absolute endorsement of legalizing and smoking pot. Would they, then, accept someone smoking pot while at the range? Or will they be hypocrites about that, as well?

It's more than 'ironic', it's a libtard mindset.

IF you can't expect and envision members / attendees being as responsible with imbibing as they are with their firearms, WHY would you allow that person (or persons) on the range to begin with? :rolleyes:

We should expect (and 'demand') that folks be responsible in their composure at all times, in every manner. With their firearms, and with their choice of beverage. Everyone is accountable for their actions, at all times.

Either you're in favor of personal choices, and responsible behavior with those choices, or your not. Period.

How 'bout this: Act responsibly.

Yep, just like drinking and driving...

...oh wait... :dunno:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    As soon as booze is brought up, it automatically follows that someone will start griping that 'we're gonna have a buncha wild drunks out there shooting the weather vane on top of the clubhouse! No, no, no!' We hear the same thing if anyone on INGO mentions they've had even so much as a sip of liquor while carrying. It's ludicrous, ridiculous, and beyond hypocritical.

This is the same type of rhetoric that libtards always use, and it's just as dumb: 'If you let some guy just starting carrying a gun around at the shopping center or restaurant, we'll have a bunch of vigilante psychos shooting up the place! No, no, no!'

"Accident waiting to happen"? That's EXACTLY the same thing the left-loon, anti-gun, libtards say about YOU carrying a firearm in public.

Even worse, these same 'nay-sayers' will fervently post their absolute endorsement of legalizing and smoking pot. Would they, then, accept someone smoking pot while at the range? Or will they be hypocrites about that, as well?

IF you can't expect and envision members / attendees being as responsible with imbibing as they are with their firearms, WHY would you allow that person (or persons) on the range to begin with? :rolleyes:

We should expect (and 'demand') that folks be responsible in their composure at all times, in every manner. With their firearms, and with their choice of beverage. Everyone is accountable for their actions, at all times.

Either you're in favor of personal choices, and responsible behavior with those choices, or your not. Period.

I agree. When I am out having dinner with friends I never drink more than 2 beers over the course of the evening. It's not worth losing my job and the headaches associated with a DUI. But some act as if a beer is going to cloud your judgment and turn you into a time bomb waiting to go off. It also strikes me as liberal mindsets. Do I think we should have people shooting on public ranges after drinking a 6 pack? No. But do I think it is possible for people to drink responsibly and still take part in routine activities without a negative impact? Absolutely.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Just don't.

Drinking alcohol impairs decision making, removes barriers to impulsive actions and negatively impacts both motor control and reflexes. The gun range is no place for alcohol.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county

This exactly.

Since it is difficult to tell if a person has say: had a beer, smoked a joint, broke up with his girlfriend, dog died... Everyone on the range has to take responsibility for themselves and watch out for the actions of others. Banning alcohol (like guns) makes people feel safe; it does not make them safe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    From a liability standpoint alone a range should not allow alcohol anywhere near where the shooting takes place. An unfortunate side-effect of our society places the responsibility of one moron's actions not on the moron but on the lack of restrictions that "allowed" the event to take place. Common sense and decency cannot and should not be taken for granted.

As to the drinking after shooting, sure. Again, there is no way for most ranges to actually enforce that standard so a blanket policy must be used due to the liability issue. Do whatever you want on your own property but don't expect a range to stick their necks out on the line just so you can enjoy a beverage on range day.

Drinking and firearms in a normal setting: I don't drink and drive not because I don't "trust" myself with the car but rather because my reflexes and motors skills are inhibited after enjoying some of my favorite beverages. I apply the same thinking to carrying. When my wife and I are out, one drinks and one drives. Flipside, one drinks and one carries.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :+1:
    If someone isn't responsible enough to limit themselves regarding alcohol and firearms, they probably are responsible enough to even be on the range to begin with. Personal responsibility people.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    This is a perfect example of the few ruining it for the many. Rules like this aren't written for the 99% of people that don't drink at the range or have a beer while shooting. It's written for the one a-hole who brings a bottle of vodka to the range and starts shooting out the lights.

In a perfect society, we wouldn't need many rules because everyone took personal responsibility and treated other people with respect. Unfortunately we don't live in that magical place.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :+1:
    If someone isn't responsible enough to limit themselves regarding alcohol and firearms, they probably are responsible enough to even be on the range to begin with. Personal responsibility people.

So how do you keep those who are not responsible enough to begin with out of the range?? You can't. I understand the point being made here but there are too many irresponsible people that would cause incident or injury. Even 1 irresponsible person is too many.

I have friends who shoot clays on thier property a couple times a year and drink beer while doing it. I was floored when I heard this. They said I'm no fun cuz I don't want a few beers while I shoot. I'm fine with being no fun, I'm also fine with being no party to an alcohol/gun related mishap with severe implications on my life, family, health, finances, etc and give ammo to the liberal media blowing any gun related mishap out of proportion and painting the moronic hillbilly picture they believe all firearm owners are.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I shoot clays a few times a year with some buddies, and we usually have a few beers while doing so. Notice I said a few not polish off a case. I don't blame a range for banning alcohol for liability purposes, but I do not have a problem with people having a few drinks and shooting, as long as it stays under control.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Brings back memories of the old Quail Unlimited days when you left the dove field or sporting clays trailer you gathered around the keg that was always nearby.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the alcohol-at-a-gun-range is different from what I do when I'm carrying. But, I have to admit, it is very much a function of, "I trust myself, its the rest of you I'm not too sure about."

Most Sundays, we have dinner at my in-laws. Most of the time, I'm CC'ing. Because that's how I roll. I have a beer with dinner. One beer. If we're over there for a Colts game and I know we'll be there a long time, maybe 2. Over several hours. But, I know I'm not going to be intoxicated. And the chance of "needing" my firearm is a number approaching zero.

At a range, though, where there are people I don't know, doing things I can't always see, I think alcohol is a bad idea. If I saw someone partaking in it, I would leave, and carefully consider whether to go back.

"After" shooting is also different to me. Having a beer while cleaning guns after a range trip/hunting excursion just makes sense to me.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    There are people who will shoot out the lights, shoot holes in the ceiling/roof, disobey prominently displayed rules, set the range afire, or shoot another shooter while they are stone sober. You should expect a significant increase in such events if you put alcohol or drugs of any kind in the mix. "Stupid is as stupid does".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I shoot clays a few times a year with some buddies, and we usually have a few beers while doing so. Notice I said a few not polish off a case. I don't blame a range for banning alcohol for liability purposes, but I do not have a problem with people having a few drinks and shooting, as long as it stays under control.

Yeah, I'm with you. I distinctly remember relatives (dad, grandpa, and uncles) drinking beer, and shooting guns. It honestly wasn't that big of a deal. In a range however, I see the issue.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Why? You, yourself, said AFTER the match?

I don't know if you've shot any competitions but even after the match guns are still on hips, mags are still loaded and on belts. Waiting for scores to finalize and awards to be given out gives plenty of time for folks to become impaired.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    As expressed earlier, the liability alone should scare you not to mention if something happened and that went public. Can you imagine the buzz from the "drive by media" if someone was accidentally shot because they were drinking at a gun range? We are fighting like hell to keep what liberties we have. We don't need to add stupid to the mix.

While we are at it there should be no texting or talking on the phone at the active side of the range as well. To me these are just as distracting to both the individual and the shooter.

Top Bottom