• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, personally, whether I'm having a beer while I clean the guns or not, the ammo is nowhere around. Sure, the gun is always loaded mentality, but when it is a disassembled collection of dirty metal parts... there's not much it can do.

Except sit there. Dirty. All those nooks and crannies mocking me. Giggling at how there's still a spot I missed. Pointing and laughing as one swatch after another comes out with a fine cover of residue.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I wouldn't be drinking and shooting, and wouldn't want to be around other people doing the same at a range, and don't allow it at my house... However, afterwards like a lot of you guys are talking about is no big deal. Over the last 3 months or so, I have seen more drinking while hunting than I have ever seen in my life. Guys shooting a couple hundred to 500 rounds and sitting down for a beer. Happens with every hunter I've been with, and I don't have a problem with it to an extent (contradictory to most I know). However, I don't trust everyone to do so without problems and in a range situation I would avoid it at all costs until the shooting is over. The problem still becomes that while the shooting is over there is always that one idiot who ruins it for everyone. So at public places having a no go just makes sense. Otherwise it's not so bad in my opinion.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This is a true story and really happened (and may still be happening in Floyds Knobs Indiana).....

In the late 1990's my dad, my uncle, my brother and my cousins boyfriend would go to the Floyd Knobs Community Center to participate in the "new" (to us anyway) sport of indoor turkey shoots with .22 bird shot...The shoots took place on Sunday mornings....We did quite well using Winchester model 67's, Remington 510's and 41's...We won some money and some good Jasper (read "German") hams....When we got there I went to the refreshment stand to get a breakfast sammie and noticed they had cold beer...Then I looked around and noticed a couple of guys drinking cold beer...I asked if it was okay if I got a cold beer...(Mainly for the novelty, Sunday at 9 am, .22 rifles all around, etc...) and the lady said "yes"....I gave her $1.00 and had a cold beer....My brother noticed it and he too went and got a cold beer...I never saw anyone drunk..I never saw more than two beers drank (except by a couple of watchers, opinion givers, and pocket knife traders...

The Knobs were settled heavily in the 1840's by German Catholics who got run out of Louisville by the "Know Nothing Party" riots.....Germany has a long tradition of shooting .22 parlor guns in bars while drinking beer...One of the guys at Shooter's Supply in Louisville collects those rifles and was kind enough to show them to me once.....I am not saying this is right...But I am saying it is not unheard of.....

I just drank the one beer and I nursed it during the 2 hour shoot.....

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    You're not comparing apples and apples. Use of firearms does not degrade your judgment and impair your motor skills. Use of alcohol can/does. Before drinking anything, we can assume that people do have the capability to behave safely and responsibly. After consuming alcohol (or anything that impairs mental or physical processes) that capability becomes unreliable. It's different for everyone. Some can handle it; some can't. How do we make that determination?

Oh, and "Libtard", really? That word just screams "My opinion is not strong enough to stand on its own, so I'm going to resort to namecalling." No matter where you are on the political spectrum, using terms like that weakens your position rather than strengthening it.

QFT^^^^^^^^^^ +100

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My club has a no booze policy. I think you have to have a strict prohibition on booze at the range in the USA. We are simply not responsible with booze as a historical fact.

You have to have a responsible culture to support booze at a gun range like in the HC. Here, no way.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    TB....not everyone is going to come unhinged after a beer or 2. We all know this. There will be one that always takes it to the extreme. That one is way more than enough to cause a serious problem. I have no trust in people I do not know these days. Sad, yes it is but so many just push the boundary's.
    We used to have a few beers at the private range we shot at. On a friends property. Mainly towards the end of the session. Responsible adults. We knew each other and would hold each other accountable.

To say I want to be safe around a group of strangers wielding firearms is not a "Push" to remove freedoms. It just is not.

I know it's not, but do you "feel" safe around a bunch of strangers with guns? Many people don't, because a small minority of us do bad things with them. This is, of course, the crux of an argument to take them away from us.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know it's not, but do you "feel" safe around a bunch of strangers with guns? Many people don't, because a small minority of us do bad things with them. This is, of course, the crux of an argument to take them away from us.

The best argument the anti's could have would be highlighting pro-gun folks advocating the use of mind altering substances surrounding the operation of firearms. The courts and jails are full of otherwise squared away people who failed that delicate balance in relation to vehicle operation, domestic issues, etc.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like the 'No booze on the property, be it in a container or in a person' rule. The two don't mix. I don't have a problem with stopping at a bar for a drink after shooting, but guns and booze don't mix with good results.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I tend not to think about "what would antis think" when I do... just about anything.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Apparently, that depends on whether you've had a beer with the steak, too.

Apparently so. Once beer, or alcohol, is in the equation, we automatically turn into morons who cannot use any object correctly. Therefore, humans should be banned.

ETA: As a sidenote, I guess I now know why my range is generally empty when I go...all of INGO is afraid of the non existence of a rule prohibiting alcohol:ingo:

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I think that I should be able to have a beer at the range while shooting. Problem is, I don't trust anyone else to have the same privilege, so I have to be somewhat hypocritical and vote for the ban.

Top Bottom