• Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Blue crab?

I'll take crawfish over blue crabs, they have better flavor and not that much less meat.
    Both are excellent, but im guessing you've never seen or eaten Maryland or Virginia #1 Jimmys. And the Chesapeake has brackish salt water water, unlike all the coastal blue crabs from high salinity water.
    If I want swamp bugs I go to LA, AL or Miss, if I want blue crabs I go to Md or Va. But if we are talking about the better Crustacean i'd rather have a cold water lobster in Maine.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Bes
    Both are excellent, but im guessing you've never seen or eaten Maryland or Virginia #1 Jimmys. And the Chesapeake has brackish salt water water, unlike all the coastal blue crabs from high salinity water.
    If I want swamp bugs I go to LA, AL or Miss, if I want blue crabs I go to Md or Va. But if we are talking about the better Crustacean i'd rather have a cold water lobster in Maine.
    Best crab I ever had was in a small bar near Annapolis that had a Wednesday night $10 crab cake dinner about 15 years ago in prime crab season. Two of those were a filling meal.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've had them in Virginia and Florida and I couldn't taste a difference between the two. They were nowhere close to the better tasting, meatier crabs like snow or king. Really not worth the effort to pick them, IMO. I tend to think blues are more a vessel for the seasoning than a delicacy in and of themselves. Lobster is good every now and then but I prefer snow or king crab over it most of the time. I'll also take jumbo Indiana crawfish over the southern swamp bugs.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Used to go crabbing in Louisiana, I'll take crab over crawdads any day! I just never really liked them much.
    I think with crawdads it really makes a huge difference where they came from and how they're prepared.. To me they're not much more than edible in a boil but are great properly cleaned then fried.

Dang it, now I'm hungry for a crawfish trio from Pappdeaux!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think with crawdads it really makes a huge difference where they came from and how they're prepared.. To me they're not much more than edible in a boil but are great properly cleaned then fried.

Dang it, now I'm hungry for a crawfish trio from Pappdeaux!
    I've only ever had crawdad tails on Jockamo Pizza's "Po Boy Pizza". Obviously there's not a lot of meat there, and no way I'm gonna "suck the heads" like they do down south. :puke:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've had them in Virginia and Florida and I couldn't taste a difference between the two. They were nowhere close to the better tasting, meatier crabs like snow or king. Really not worth the effort to pick them, IMO. I tend to think blues are more a vessel for the seasoning than a delicacy in and of themselves. Lobster is good every now and then but I prefer snow or king crab over it most of the time. I'll also take jumbo Indiana crawfish over the southern swamp bugs.
    You have to understand, with us its also a social event. We learn how to pick as little kids, Most sit and pick for hours..

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've only ever had crawdad tails on Jockamo Pizza's "Po Boy Pizza". Obviously there's not a lot of meat there, and no way I'm gonna "suck the heads" like they do down south. :puke:
    Yes, there's not a lot of meat there and boiling them whole taints the meat a bit in my opinion whether you "suck the heads" or not. If I'm doing it myself I prefer to remove the head section, thoroughly clean the tail section then dunk the whole tail section, shell and all, in seasoned flour.

Top Bottom